Retirement Locations | The Boneyard

Retirement Locations

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think I've got about ten years, depending on the stock market and how much college for my daughter costs. But with historically low interest rates, I wouldn't be opposed to buying a future retirement home sooner than that. Plus, work from home flexibility is likely to continue for me for the foreseeable future.

My wife and I always wanted to retire to Cape Cod, but the prices have been very high and getting higher for many years. This year it saw an even bigger increase than usual. I know the Cape well enough, but I'd be interested in any other good locations. Have considered New Orleans, but I'd need to summer up north. We love the city, the culture, the music, food etc. I know the South Carolina coast well from Charleston to Savannah, doubt my wife would want that.

Are there any year round locations that provide anything like that? Summers a bit milder perhaps? I don't mind a bit of winter (like Cape Cod). I have never been to Saint Augustine, but it looks interesting. Don't know how the summer is. Are there hidden gems out there that I'm missing? I am sure we've got retired folks here, and others like me that may be thinking about it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'll be in the Florida Keys in 10 years. First beers on me.

I have good friends who go every December, but I have not been.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Aww crap meant to put this in Food and Travel. Can someone move it?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think I've got about ten years, depending on the stock market and how much college for my daughter costs. But with historically low interest rates, I wouldn't be opposed to buying a future retirement home sooner than that. Plus, work from home flexibility is likely to continue for me for the foreseeable future.

My wife and I always wanted to retire to Cape Cod, but the prices have been very high and getting higher for many years. This year it saw an even bigger increase than usual. I know the Cape well enough, but I'd be interested in any other good locations. Have considered New Orleans, but I'd need to summer up north. We love the city, the culture, the music, food etc. I know the South Carolina coast well from Charleston to Savannah, doubt my wife would want that.

Are there any year round locations that provide anything like that? Summers a bit milder perhaps? I don't mind a bit of winter (like Cape Cod). I have never been to Saint Augustine, but it looks interesting. Don't know how the summer is. Are there hidden gems out there that I'm missing? I am sure we've got retired folks here, and others like me that may be thinking about it.

I cannot recommend strongly enough about not moving to New Orleans. It's just not a clean place to live, the population is stagnating/decreasing, the poverty is incredible, etc. Find a place 1-3 hours away where you can visit the city and do whatever you like and then get out. You can even spend a night or two there. I know too many people from that area- New Orleans, Kenner, Slidell, etc and none of them would ever move back to it.

You could move anywhere along the northern Gulf Coast from Florida to Mississippi and get plenty of good cuisine which has the cajun, french, acadian and other cultural flares you find in NO. IMO you have plenty Missisippi gulf coast is the worst followed by Alabama and Florida has the best options.

We had this big discussion a week or so ago. The St. Augustine area or St. Simon's Island in Georgia could be interesting. The Outer Banks of North Carolina will be a bit milder for the summer and you still have plenty of bone chilling days in the winter.

I lived in Virginia Beach for 10 years and we always seemed to have 1-2 snow storms that brought decent accumulation and another half dozen storms where there was a light coating.

The Delmarva (Delaware, Maryland, Virginia) peninsula could be another place.

It really comes down to how much you want to have directly around you and how much personal space or elbow room you want.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Here was the thread from a few days back. Pretty much every town from Maine to Miami, across the keys, up the western peninsula of Florida and across the northern gulf was discussed.

I'll ask this, would you be at all amenable to Great Lake living? You have New York, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota to choose from and there are some fantastic spots to live the slow life.

OT: - Beach town vacation ideas | The Boneyard (the-boneyard.com)

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Here was the thread from a few days back. Pretty much every town from Maine to Miami, across the keys, up the western peninsula of Florida and across the northern gulf was discussed.

I'll ask this, would you be at all amenable to Great Lake living? You have New York, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota to choose from and there are some fantastic spots to live the slow life.

- Beach town vacation ideas | The Boneyard (the-boneyard.com)

Nope. If I'm going to have miserable cold, snowy winters I'll just stay here. Or go to Burlington Vermont. What I like about the Cape is that you can play golf into December and by March. And the snow melts quickly. I don't want to see snow on the ground for weeks at a time.

As for New Orleans, I have family there. Wife went to college there for two years, and I have another friend who move there last January (from CT) and loves it. I know it has its problems, but I'd be in the Garden District or Uptown.

Don't really want the slow life. Want to travel. Want to walk out my door and get to cool spots with things to do, music, drink etc. But without the super-crowded big city thing. NYC is about my least favorite place. By way of example, Galway, Ireland would be good.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Nope. If I'm going to have miserable cold, snowy winters I'll just stay here. Or go to Burlington Vermont. What I like about the Cape is that you can play golf into December and by March. And the snow melts quickly. I don't want to see snow on the ground for weeks at a time.

As for New Orleans, I have family there. Wife went to college there for two years, and I have another friend who move there last January (from CT) and loves it. I know it has its problems, but I'd be in the Garden District or Uptown.

Don't really want the slow life. Want to travel. Want to walk out my door and get to cool spots with things to do, music, drink etc. But without the super-crowded big city thing. NYC is about my least favorite place. By way of example, Galway, Ireland would be good.

Well, this was mid 50's at 3pm four days ago when I got in my first round of the year. Let me know if you see a cloud. Also, the dormant grass makes hitting out of the rough much less penal. Greens are actually faster in the winter than the summer because they can clip 'em tight without having to worry about the sun scorching them.

IMG_20210103_150758085~3.jpg

Reaction Score

Bethany Beach, or similar spots on the Delmarva.

You'll bet an earlier start to the season than the Cape, warmer water during the summer, and close enough to plenty of activities.

We love St. Augustine, but it can get buggy and oppressive during the Summer. Our hope is to spend winters there and come back north for the summer.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Bethany Beach, or similar spots on the Delmarva.

You'll bet an earlier start to the season than the Cape, warmer water during the summer, and close enough to plenty of activities.

We love St. Augustine, but it can get buggy and oppressive during the Summer. Our hope is to spend winters there and come back north for the summer.

Have never been to the shore in that area. Lots to think about it seems. I can see lots of options if we snowbird and split time. Will probably need to see where my daughter ends up.

Reaction Score
Have never been to the shore in that area. Lots to think about it seems. I can see lots of options if we snowbird and split time. Will probably need to see where my daughter ends up.

We vacationed in Bethany for 5 summers. We like the town, there are some good restaurants, and it doesn’t have the trashy feel of Dewey or Ocean City. I think there are more year-rounders in Bethany as well. The only problem is that the beach is eroding rapidly, but that is a problem just about everywhere.

At least the area has some natural sand dunes. If you see a sea wall, assume that there will be no beach in that location within 5 years. Hard structures destroy beaches.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Ever been to the San Juan Islands in WA? Pretty nice spot, moderate temp, not far from workd class skiing of that's your thing.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
We vacationed in Bethany for 5 summers. We like the town, there are some good restaurants, and it doesn’t have the trashy feel of Dewey or Ocean City. I think there are more year-rounders in Bethany as well. The only problem is that the beach is eroding rapidly, but that is a problem just about everywhere.

At least the area has some natural sand dunes. If you see a sea wall, assume that there will be no beach in that location within 5 years. Hard structures destroy beaches.

That’s a good point on erosion. I don’t need to be on a beach. I’d consider lakes in places like the NC mountains. But also would like some lower hurricane risk.

Reaction Score
We're 30ish years away from retirement, but it's always fun to think about.

If we're not retiring around where we live now (Norwalk), I've like the idea of living in the mid-Atlantic, preferably cities or metro areas that are affordable but provide the art/food/culture we both like and the sports for me.

Richmond is a wonderful arts town and I'd happily become a VCU season ticket holder. Also, the cheaper towns near or within the Research Triangle of North Carolina are on my radar too. On a particularly drunken evening my wife and I were seriously considering buying a 20k house in Rocky Mount, NC. It's a depressed town about an hour from Raleigh, but similar to North Adams, the city's cheap and vacant spaces has help create its burgeoning arts scene.

My in-laws from Montana retired to Fountain Hills, AZ, a hilly town on the northeastern metro Phoenix area, three years ago. I understand its appeals, but man, the summer heat is brutal.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
My wife and I are right now bird dogging Delaware as our last home. Only negative I have heard so far is shortage of doctors.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I retired before my wife. She went another 5 years. After she retired we started thinking of should we stay in CT or move. We were eating at a new restaurant around the corner from us when they wife asked me what states didn't have an income tax. That started the ball rolling.

Our next step was making the list of what we wanted in retirement. What did we want to do now that we were no longer gainfully employed. What size house did we want or need. We knew the house had to be one floor. We knew the house had to have space to for my wife's grand piano, electric piano, my horns and guitars. Needed space in the garage for my workshop and woodworking tools. And the list goes on.

My point being, decide what you want out of life in the "golden years." We ended up in central Florida in a 55+ community - near the Mouse House. For us, it was the right decision. No state taxes, much lower property taxes, warm temps and no snow.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I retired before my wife. She went another 5 years. After she retired we started thinking of should we stay in CT or move. We were eating at a new restaurant around the corner from us when they wife asked me what states didn't have an income tax. That started the ball rolling.

Our next step was making the list of what we wanted in retirement. What did we want to do now that we were no longer gainfully employed. What size house did we want or need. We knew the house had to be one floor. We knew the house had to have space to for my wife's grand piano, electric piano, my horns and guitars. Needed space in the garage for my workshop and woodworking tools. And the list goes on.

My point being, decide what you want out of life in the "golden years." We ended up in central Florida in a 55+ community - near the Mouse House. For us, it was the right decision. No state taxes, much lower property taxes, warm temps and no snow.

Good points. I doubt we would end up in Florida like you did, but the approach makes sense to me. My wife is a Boston girl, it's hard for her to leave. That said, she's fed up with some things and the taxes may play a role. I travel to Austin for work and she mentioned that, but it's just unbearably hot for 3-4 months a year. We prefer winter to 100+.

We are caring for her parents the last few years, her mom passed this summer and her dad has been a lot of work. So as our daughter heads off to college next year, her eventual post college landing spot will be an important consideration. Both to spend time with her and any potential grandchildren, plus the potential need for help much later one. Lots to think about.

@Dove's comment about doctors is another point to consider. It puts some more remote locations at a significant disadvantage. I'd add airport access as well.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
My wife and I are good 30 years away from retirement, but still talk about it. Most likely retiring to Portugal. We have a house there in the mountains where life is simple and inexpensive. Might sell the house before retirement and find something on the water, but time is our friend at this point.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
My wife and I are good 30 years away from retirement, but still talk about it. Most likely retiring to Portugal. We have a house there in the mountains where life is simple and inexpensive. Might sell the house before retirement and find something on the water, but time is our friend at this point.

Portugal is lovely. Such nice people. My wife and I went before we got married, which helped convince us we wouldn't kill each other. That was pre-EU, and everything was astonishingly cheap. Wonderful meals with a bottle of wine for like $25.

But I can't learn any new language due to my hearing, so it's English language only for me. Ireland is a possibility, but winter is long and dark, if not cold.

ColchVEGAS

Reaction Score
@HuskyHawk the prices are still that cheap for a nice 3 course meal and wine where our house is in the Central region. Definitely a tough language to learn, I am in the process of learning right now in order to get my citizenship, not a requirement but I am trying my best to impress. I speak at an elementary level, but can at least get my way around as most do not speak English in our town. My wife is fluent, her first language, but is not the best teacher.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
@HuskyHawk the prices are still that cheap for a nice 3 course meal and wine where our house is in the Central region. Definitely a tough language to learn, I am in the process of learning right now in order to get my citizenship, not a requirement but I am trying my best to impress. I speak at an elementary level, but can at least get my way around as most do not speak English in our town. My wife is fluent, her first language, but is not the best teacher.
Sounds terrific. What town?

We had two interesting language issues back in 2000. We got lost driving north from Lisbon, our map sucked. Went to a gas station for a proper Michelin map. Somehow we explained via gestures where we wanted to go. The gas station manager left work and lead us to the rotary where he pointed us to our road before heading home. Imagine any American gas station manager doing that for a non English speaking visitor. Remarkable people.

Then at Taylor Port we had lunch. And could not figure out how to communicate that we wanted the bill and to leave. And I mean for a long time, over an hour. It’s the only Portuguese I still remember. A conta, se faz favor. But it’s broken moments like that which make memories.

With smartphones now, none of this is an issue.

ColchVEGAS

Reaction Score
@HuskyHawk the town is Sandomil, about 3 hours northeast of Lisbon. Old farming and shepherding town. It is also about 2.5 hours to Porto and 45 min to Coimbra so you can make nice day trips to the cities fairly easily. Just typing this makes me a little sad that our trip last June was cancelled due to COVID. We were bringing our daughter to meet her great grandmother, who unfortunately has now passed, peacefully.

The people really are friendly and I have had occasions where I asked for directions and the person took the time to lead me there, completely out of their way with no worries their day would be thrown off by an hour or so.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
@HuskyHawk the town is Sandomil, about 3 hours northeast of Lisbon. Old farming and shepherding town. It is also about 2.5 hours to Porto and 45 min to Coimbra so you can make nice day trips to the cities fairly easily. Just typing this makes me a little sad that our trip last June was cancelled due to COVID. We were bringing our daughter to meet her great grandmother, who unfortunately has now passed, peacefully.

The people really are friendly and I have had occasions where I asked for directions and the person took the time to lead me there, completely out of their way with no worries their day would be thrown off by an hour or so.

Very nice! On the edge of a national park. Looks like it is not too far to Monsanto. Hopefully you have visited as it is a fascinating and unique place.

Ireland is our happy place and our big trip in June was also cancelled. All the worse because we were going with another family, which was going to make it a different trip for us.

ColchVEGAS

Reaction Score
I will have to make a trip out there next time we go. We love the national park and go hiking there on every visit. We have our own spot that we found and visit for a picnic. Natural stream from the mountain so there is ice cold fresh water to drink and also to cool off the Rosé and other beverages that we bring up with us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom