Results are in: Boneyard preseason top 25 | The Boneyard

Results are in: Boneyard preseason top 25

How frequently should we do the Boneyard Top 25 poll during the season?

• Weekly

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Every 2 weeks

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Other (explain in comment)

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
EDIT (11/8): Results of the frequency poll are in. It was extremely close, but we're going to make this a biweekly poll since a slight majority preferred a frequency less demanding than weekly. The next round of ballots will be due on Monday, Nov, 18 at 9 a.m. Eastern time.

EDIT (11/1): I've added a poll at the top of this thread to help us decide how frequently (if at all) we want to put out the BY Top 25 poll during the season.

1572445294837.png

Number of first-place votes shown in parentheses.

Also receiving votes (selected on at least two ballots):
Syracuse 34, Michigan State 28, South Dakota 26, South Dakota State 12, West Virginia 12, Tennessee 9, UCF 6.

The following teams were selected on only one ballot (shown here in alphabetical order):
Central Michigan, Duke, Florida, Gonzaga, Green Bay, Iowa State, LSU, Princeton, South Florida.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
When I looked at the results, it seemed from my recollection that it was pretty close to the ESPN results so I decided to compare side by side and it seems they are very close with errors <= 2 slots across the top 25. I am guessing many may have used the ESPN results as a first estimate and tweaked as needed

1572448006333.png

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Astutely observed by @eebmg , and indeed I was planning to make a follow-up post about that.

The release of the espnW poll did seem influential. I say this not because of the final results per se, but because of some noticeable differences in voting patterns before and after the Monday morning release of the espnW poll.

For example, Arizona was selected on only 2 of the 12 ballots submitted prior to release of the espnW poll, which has them listed at #19. That had them fairly deep on the "also receiving votes" category at the time. But they were then listed on each of the 9 ballots submitted from that point on, which propelled them up to #18 in our poll.

The opposite occurred with Arizona State, which was selected on 7 of the 12 pre-espnW ballots but on only 1 of the 9 post-espnW ballots. Sure enough, Arizona State was not in the espnW top 25.

It's only human nature to be influenced by the prominent polls, and this was why I wanted to collect ballots before the AP poll was released. Of course, I had no idea about the espnW preseason poll.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It's only human nature to be influenced by the prominent polls, and this was why I wanted to collect ballots before the AP poll was released. Of course, I had no idea about the espnW preseason poll.
We'll have to compare the ESPNW to the AP. See how close they are.

Reaction Score
I'm standing on an island thinking Texas A&M should be in top 5.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I'm standing on an island thinking Texas A&M should be in top 5.
#5 was the upper limit of their range, but not a severe outlier :)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
View attachment 47572

Number of first-place votes shown in parentheses.

Also receiving votes (selected on at least two ballots):
Syracuse 34, Michigan State 28, South Dakota 26, South Dakota State 12, West Virginia 12, Tennessee 9, UCF 6.

The following teams were selected on only one ballot (shown here in alphabetical order):
Central Michigan, Duke, Florida, Gonzaga, Green Bay, Iowa State, LSU, Princeton, South Florida.

Great stuff, Plebe. Thanks for doing this.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Is this really a question??????
So you believe that Maryland is going to be better than UConn. I predict that they will lose at least 3 games in the Big 10, and if they play anyone in the Top 15 on the road in the Non Conference portion of their schedule add another loss.

Reaction Score
So you believe that Maryland is going to be better than UConn. I predict that they will lose at least 3 games in the Big 10, and if they play anyone in the Top 15 on the road in the Non Conference portion of their schedule add another loss.
I think the original question suggested to me that Maryland should be ranked 10th or 15th. I think they are legit at #5 behind UConn. In 2014-15 Maryland ran the table in the Big 10. This team is better than that one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom