Rest in Peace Tom Seaver | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rest in Peace Tom Seaver

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Wow, 1969 was THE year. 25-7. Went to Shea with my parents on a Tuesday night. Jenkins pitching for Cubs. I knew he had dementia. This makes me sad.
Cubbies is my favorite team and I also went to Shea that 1969 year to see the Mets and Cubs play
It was a day game in July - Seaver vs Holtzman and Cubbies lost 4-0 they couldn't touch Seaver that day
He was a terrific pitcher - Tom Terrific
I hate the Mets!!!!

Reaction Score
Remembered he pitched 10 scoreles against the Padres and the Mets losing in 1971. Great year while losing double figures. RIP Tom Terrific.

Last edited:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Wow. Had no idea he had been ill. AL fan so did not see too much of him but he was a great power pitcher and a classy person. I enjoyed him very much as an announcer who did Yankee games as well as Mets. He had wit and great sense of humor, especially kidding Rizzuto. RIP Tom Terrific. Truly one of the Greats as a player and person and who was a great ambassador for baseball.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
Wow, 1969 was THE year. 25-7. Went to Shea with my parents on a Tuesday night. Jenkins pitching for Cubs. I knew he had dementia. This makes me sad.
I, too, was at that game.
My favorite player

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Great write-up from the Courant. Dementia seemed to be tied to Lyme disease originally contracted when he lived in Greenwich CT. Overcame a lot of adversity.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
What a great way to celebrate my 8th birthday, my childhood hero, "The Franchise," the guy I wanted to be, threw a masterpiece

I was also lucky (and smart) enough to have seen this and save the memory, RIP Tom Terrific

Seaver 300th win CHW 4 NYY 1.jpg

Reaction Score
Cubbies is my favorite team and I also went to Shea that 1969 year to see the Mets and Cubs play
It was a day game in July - Seaver vs Holtzman and Cubbies lost 4-0 they couldn't touch Seaver that day
He was a terrific pitcher - Tom Terrific
I hate the Mets!!!!
They were loaded. Banks, Williams, Santo, Kessinger, Jenkins, Hotzman, Bill Hands, etc, etc.

Reaction Score
They were loaded. Banks, Williams, Santo, Kessinger, Jenkins, Hotzman, Bill Hands, etc, etc.
What an infield including catcher all-stars all.
Sorry for the digression Tom.You faced so many memorible players near the end of the golden age.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
My father bought me his book “the art of pitching “ many many years ago. Good read for any baseball fan.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
All the stats that are being thrown around, here's the Seaver one that stands out the most for me. 171 complete games in 395 career starts for the Mets. Syndergaard led the Mets with 2 complete games in 2019

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
RIP Tom Terrific.

Somewhere, someplace I have a 1970 yearbook of the 1969 Mets . . . but I cannot find it.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
RIP Tom Terrific.

Somewhere, someplace I have a 1970 yearbook of the 1969 Mets . . . but I cannot find it.

My Mom might have come over and thrown it out. Lord knows that's what she did with the my old baseball memorabilia once I left for college.

Reaction Score
I saw Tom Terrific when he was with Cincinnati at the AstroDome vs JR Richard in a classic pitcher's duel in the early 80s. They both went the distance and the only run scored was from a monster Home Run hit by George Foster in the top of the 9th inning! I also saw Tommy pitch a couple of games at She during the '69 Miracle Season! May he rest in peace

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I saw Tom Terrific when he was with Cincinnati at the AstroDome vs JR Richard in a classic pitcher's duel in the early 80s. They both went the distance and the only run scored was from a monster Home Run hit by George Foster in the top of the 9th inning! I also saw Tommy pitch a couple of games at She during the '69 Miracle Season! May he rest in peace

JR was such a "what cold have been" story. He had great stuff too. Love the George Foster reference. Always like George and Dave Parker. Bat seemed like it was a whip in George's hands.

Reaction Score
Saw him pitch for the Red Sox at Yankee Stadium. It was the NBC Game of the Week. Bizarre game. Jim Rice ran into the left field stands after somebody. He got 15-20 rows deep, September call-up Lashell Tarver ran into the stands with a baseball bat. After that settled down, a fan came out of the stands between innings and tried to rip padding off the wall, I kid you not. The yankee public address system kept on playing "highway to the danger zone" while seaver was taking signs, from I think Marc Sullivan...who struck out 4 times on 12 pitches.

Reaction Score
Only vaguely remember him as a player on the Red Sox but my dad, when teaching me to pitch, said to try and drop and drive like Seaver. I was always amazed at the dirty knee. Ridiculous mechanics. Later, as a Yankee fan, I always thought he was fantastic as the straight man of sorts to Rizzuto. Seemed like a really good guy and listening to Met fans calling up WFAN and crying, an absolute icon for that franchise.

Reaction Score
Only vaguely remember him as a player on the Red Sox but my dad, when teaching me to pitch, said to try and drop and drive like Seaver.

That's funny. Seaver was always the model my dad used too, when I was trying to throw my arm out of its socket.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
How are the Mets playing the Yankees right now without wearing some sort of black band on their sleeve? The Yankees don't take the field without one after the passing of a legend.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom