Resetting expectations | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Resetting expectations

Reaction Score
This game was a loss in my mind as soon as I knew Sanogo and Martin were out. As I stated in the thread on the gambling line, we’d need a huge game from Polley, Hawkins etc. to win. Huggins is too good of a coach, especially at home, to beat so short handed. While we have a lot of really good players, we don’t have a great one yet. Without a game changing guard/wing (think Hawkins in a year or two), we aren’t winning a rock fight in Morgantown most of the time.

Don’t be surprised if we lose to the Bonnies too. Sanogo and Martin are huge losses.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Do you think this team has enough talent and depth to beat a west Virginia team who frankly isn't that good without Sanogo and Martin? If we made a handful of the 3s we took, we would have won. The sad part is our over reluctance to keep shooting them when we couldn't make any.
If the Queen had a pair she’d be the King.

That’s the problem with your If. We didn’t. Not by a lot.

Reaction Score
This game was a loss in my mind as soon as I knew Sanogo and Martin were out. As I stated in the thread on the gambling line, we’d need a huge game from Polley, Hawkins etc. to win. Huggins is too good of a coach, especially at home, to beat so short handed. While we have a lot of really good players, we don’t have a great one yet. Without a game changing guard/wing (think Hawkins in a year or two), we aren’t winning a rock fight in Morgantown most of the time.

Don’t be surprised if we lose to the Bonnies too. Sanogo and Martin are huge losses.
Excuses. We didn't need those two to win, we just needed the players on the floor to execute. 3 for 21 from the arc?? Stupid turnovers on fast breaks with no one around cost us 6 points

Reaction Score
Not too upset over this today but we will be in a war with all BE teams until we get our starters back. Could have to climb out of a hole by then.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Things that UConn did well:

1) Pushed the pace. While it is hard to believe that a 56-53 game had a fast pace, the only time it felt like we were scoring was in transition. If WVU got back, UConn was stuck and the chances of getting a decent shot were equivalent to the chances of a shot clock violation.

2) Controlled the ball (other than Hawkins). WVU, in Morgantown, with the refs letting them play, is a bad recipe for ball control, but 16 turnovers (12 if you don't count Hawkins) is not a terrible number given the circumstances. Hawkins was a mess. More on that later.

3) Defense - The free throw defense was spectacular, but kidding aside, holding WVU and a hall of fame coach to 56 points on sub 40% shooting when our offense was as grim as it was is impressive.

4) Heart - for all the screwing up there was tonight, the team fought it out until the very end.

Things that were a problem:

1) Offensive execution - UConn doesn't really run a set offense. Hurley is a player's coach offensively and lets them have a lot of freedom. That is fine when Bouk and Martin and Sanogo are out there beating their guy 1-on-1. It is a bit more problematic when Cole is the only scorer on the floor, and he can't shoot off the bounce. It looks like Hurley made some kind of adjustment in practice, because we were running a few flex like plays off back screens. Or maybe Whaley was just running around setting screens. Who knows? In any event, UConn sprung a few 3 point shooters to clang misses. One more of those goes in and it is a different game at the end.

Why does it always look like Akok is crowding his teammates and bringing a double team to the ball? He may have the worst sense of spacing of any UConn starter I can remember.

Anyway, this could have been worse. Losing your best player is a killer for any basketball team, and UConn has lost 2 and it wasn't a great team to begin with. Anyone remember the 1999 game when Hamilton missed the game at Syracuse? That team was a wrecking crew and it scored 42 points without its best player.

2) Hawkins and Jackson were completely out of control the whole night, and Hurley still let both play almost 30 minutes. How does Jackson only have one TO? I could have sworn he had 3. Hawkins was completely lost on the court. To be expected with frosh, but Hurley is stuck with him now with no bench.

Hurley should have played Polley and Gaffney more. Experience wins games like this over talent, and for all Polley's and Gaffney's limitations, and least they know what they are doing out there. Jackson is just a big strong athlete running up and down the court, and Hawkins appears to have a bad case of the yipps.

If Diggins can't play in a game like tonight's, when is he going to play?

3) Hurley - He didn't coach a bad game. We had to try to score in transition, and Hurley was trying to push the pace. It looked like there were some offensive adjustments. I would have liked more experience on the court for more minutes, but Hurley was making calculated bets and they didn't pay off.

The problem is that being an OK coach is not enough in the Big East. Bob Huggins will be in the Hall of Fame someday. Smart, Willard, Cooley, Anderson, and McDermott are all very good coaches. They have roster issues, but Patrick Ewing and Lavall Jordan are both very good game coaches. Where does Hurley rank in the list of Big East coaches in terms of his gameday management? Ahead of Stubblefield because he is an unknown and maybe Travis Steele because he chokes sometimes. That is probably it.

Hurley doesn't suck on gameday, but not sucking is not good enough.

Reaction Score
One thing he could do is get a technical once in awhile. Seemed there were a lot of Ticky tacks on us and Hurley played too nice.
Every time there was a commercial they closed the arena shot by constantly showing Huggins work over the ref.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
One thing he could do is get a technical once in awhile. Seemed there were a lot of Ticky tacks on us and Hurley played too nice.
Every time there was a commercial they closed the arena shot by constantly showing Huggins work over the ref.

Effectively working the refs is one of the hardest things for a coach to do. Usually, the refs for a non-conference game are from a third conference, but I believe that most refs work for more than one conference. As a result, the visiting team usually does not have a lot of leverage on the refs in an OOC game if the refs just want to go native.

Calhoun's technical in the 2003 Sweet 16 is the most effective use of a strategic technical foul that I can remember, but the reality is that UConn still lost that game.

Reaction Score
This isn’t the worst loss in the world and this was a tough game to win for reasons already stated here.

But here’s a point I’d like to make.

At a certain point, we either start playing like a Top 10 program or we keep playing like a fringe top 25 program.

I know we are missing two big time starters. But we need to take it to another level to reach the heights of 1999-2009 which is what I’ve personally been hoping for, for a while now.

That probably won’t happen this year. And I think many have been hoping for that too

I still am not sure i see the right personnel for that even with all of our starters.

It’s an energy/mindset thing first, before anything else.

When Ben Gordon or AJ price, or Jerome Dyson, or Jeff Adrien or Emeka Okafor had the ball in their hands, there was a different energy there. A predatory killer energy. Even our sixth men in the past like Rashad Anderson had it.

I see that in very few of our players on this roster.

I don’t see it in Tyler Polley. I don’t see it in Gaffney. I don’t see it in Akok.

Maybe Adama, Reese, Cole and Jackson have it a little bit.
But the point is, I’m not sure yet. Something is missing still.

I love this team and we still may go far this year and I really hope we do obviously

I just don’t know if we are at the level that myself and many on this forum want this team to be…yet.

We are getting closer each year though. You can see it and feel it.

We are all bracing for that breakthrough and so it’s normal to be disappointed after not seeing it quite yet

Reaction Score
We won’t get where we want to be until we have a pure pg facilitating and a wing that is able to dominate games. I think we’ll see the real beginning of it next year as Hawkins and Diggins begin the trend.

Reaction Score
We won’t get where we want to be until we have a pure pg facilitating and a wing that is able to dominate games. I think we’ll see the real beginning of it next year as Hawkins and Diggins begin the trend.
I think you may be right here. It feels like we have 90% of the puzzle put together but are still missing a few pieces to complete it.

Maybe we have them but they just haven’t materialized yet, as you are saying

Reaction Score
if you think this team was too hyped after going toe to toe in a hostile environment without our 2nd and 3rd best players you'll never be happy. I'm proud of these guys played. Wish they executed better. Wish they could've made a three but I'm not upset with this game given the circumstances.

I’m upset about the fact they came out of a timeout and had to fling a wild shot as the shot clock wound down. I’m upset that they relentlessly shot 3s despite the fact nobody (outside of Cole hitting two consecutive 3s earlier in the 2nd half) could make a shot. I’m upset there are no set plays for Cole to run out of a timeout. I’m upset this team successfully sets only like 10% of its screens and picks. I’m upset this team is loaded for bear with players who jump first and think second while playing defense.

WV is not a good team, but they executed the plays they needed to and came away with the W.

Reaction Score
Stop It Fox Tv GIF by Empire FOX

This changes almost nothing for me, Martin missing the first 4 BE games on the long end of his timetable isn't a big deal. We can beat Providence, Marquette, Xavier, Butler without him. TBD on Sanogo but even if he never played another game this season I'd expect a top 4 finish in the Big East and comfortably in the tournament
That’s a pretty big step back from expecting to challenge Villanova for the league title and a 3 or 4 seed. But ok if that’s nothing…

To be honest I never thought we were Villanova’s equal, though I don’t think anyone in the league really is. Plus playing non-league games we played ought to give one pause anyway. Undefeated against teams in the 300 range. 3-2 against teams people have actually heard of and the wins were not exactly dominating against some fairly mediocre teams.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm happy to see many of my Boneyard brothers are not drowning in their tears. As UConn fans, we all know or should know when it matters most, and how chemistry is a work in progress

I'll give the kids a pass, they never really experienced what basketball excellence looks like, save for maybe a couple of glimpses

Learn to enjoy the ride people, there will always be bumps along the way

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That’s a pretty big step back from expecting to challenge Villanova for the league title and a 3 or 4 seed. But ok if that’s nothing…

To be honest I never thought we were Villanova’s equal, though I don’t think anyone in the league really is. Plus playing non-league games we played ought to give one pause anyway. Undefeated against teams in the 300 range. 3-2 against teams people have actually heard of and the wins were not exactly dominating against some fairly mediocre teams.

I think a lot of posters on this board still do not appreciate how big a loss Martin and Sanogo are. I will say it again: virtually no team can survive the loss of 2 of its 3 best players without a major drop off. If a team could, then the 2 players that were out were probably not really 2 of the team's best players.

Comparing UConn without Martin or Sanogo to Villanova or Seton Hall is ridiculous. UConn is probably the second worst team in the league without those two. I do think Hurley should not rush either player back, because if they re-injure themselves, then UConn's season is really cooked. St. Bonnie's best player is out, so UConn has a chance this weekend, and then we all need to hope Martin returns on the 18th.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom