Resetting expectations | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Resetting expectations

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm saying I don't understand the people who have lowered expectations to the point that we're a bad team and one of the worst teams in the Big East. That seems overly reactionary.

I didn't say I don't care if Sanogo plays this season, I'm saying if we take the worst case scenario and assume this injury is months long so we won't see him again this year. In that scenario I still think this team has the talent to compete in the Big East. But hopefully Sanogo's injury isn't that serious
Yes, I agree: there is a middle ground between Scrappy Doo and Nelson doom. That’s where I’m at, too.

But Nelson gonna Nelson and Scrappy gonna Scrappy. Like most things, it can be analogized to George Carlin’s observation on driving: anyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac.

Reaction Score
I’m amazed and at the same time I respect the optimism. I’m with Nelson on this, too many teams including West Virginia, Providence and Butler can beat us. I mean they all can beat that team we watched the last week and half with those guys.

Jan/Feb/March is going to need to be really really good to come back from these few games. Not a pessimist but a realist.

Hope like hell Diggins, Johnson maybe Springs grab some crow for me I’m ready. Just think it’s too early of an ask. Wecwill need to play great defense and rebound the out of it because we will have trouble scoring. Let’s see!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Young pups will get needed reps and that’ll make the team better in the long run.
pat morita nod GIF

Reaction Score
I’m amazed and at the same time I respect the optimism. I’m with Nelson on this, too many teams including West Virginia, Providence and Butler can beat us. I mean they all can beat that team we watched the last week and half with those guys.

Jan/Feb/March is going to need to be really really good to come back from these few games. Not a pessimist but a realist.

Hope like hell Diggins, Johnson maybe Springs grab some crow for me I’m ready. Just think it’s too early of an ask. Wecwill need to play great defense and rebound the out of it because we will have trouble scoring. Let’s see!

Butler cannot beat UConn. They are trash, barely got by a D2 team last week

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
vast majority of the board would have been happy with 2 of 3 in Atlantis. We got it. Could have been better but a success.

I think we would all be happy with 3 of next 4. Even with injuries I think we will have the most talent on the floor each game. Better odds to win 3 fully healthy, but we are too good to be happy with 2 and 2.

Put me down for 3 wins of next 4. Won’t be shocked with 2 wins or 4, but 3 is still reasonable IMO.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It's not going to be easy without both guys
To be honest, I think Martin is a bigger loss because of his overall game whereas Sanogo is limited in what he can do - especially if he refuses to pass the ball out.
All these games in next 2 weeks are winnable but UConn could also fall short on every one of them
I am happy that Sool and Johnson saw a decent amount of time today but it be hard for them to adjust from Grambling to WVU and St Bonnies. Huggy Bear will have his team hit all UConn's weaknesses - watch out for the pressure
Fingers crossed

Reaction Score
It's not going to be easy without both guys
To be honest, I think Martin is a bigger loss because of his overall game whereas Sanogo is limited in what he can do - especially if he refuses to pass the ball out.
All these games in next 2 weeks are winnable but UConn could also fall short on every one of them
I am happy that Sool and Johnson saw a decent amount of time today but it be hard for them to adjust from Grambling to WVU and St Bonnies. Huggy Bear will have his team hit all UConn's weaknesses - watch out for the pressure
Fingers crossed
I dont think Martin will be out for that long. He’s a tough kid

Reaction Score
We may or may not win the same number of games due to these injuries. Hopefully they return in due time and pick up where they left off and if we lose a couple along the way, so be it. Remember UCONN was 9-9 in conference play in 2011.

terry gilliam film GIF

Reaction Score
If injuries led to Diggins and Johnson getting real minutes, then there is certainly a silver lining. When Martin comes back, we will bully teams. And I have a feeling that Sanogo comes back with more of a share the ball attitude after watching a handful of games with real good ball movement.

Reaction Score
if you think this team was too hyped after going toe to toe in a hostile environment without our 2nd and 3rd best players you'll never be happy. I'm proud of these guys played. Wish they executed better. Wish they could've made a three but I'm not upset with this game given the circumstances.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Nelson may be an impossibly stupid poster about many things including his love for Josh carlton but knows what he is talking about basketball wise.

Reaction Score
NIT with guys who continually make the same mistakes. Turning the ball over, taking awful shots, missing bunnies. Really. I’ll soften a bit on Hurley, but what do these guys practice and where are these recruits we are heralding?

Reaction Score
if you think this team was too hyped after going toe to toe in a hostile environment without our 2nd and 3rd best players you'll never be happy. I'm proud of these guys played. Wish they executed better. Wish they could've made a three but I'm not upset with this game given the circumstances.

Do you think this team has enough talent and depth to beat a west Virginia team who frankly isn't that good without Sanogo and Martin? If we made a handful of the 3s we took, we would have won. The sad part is our over reluctance to keep shooting them when we couldn't make any.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
NIT with guys who continually make the same mistakes. Turning the ball over, taking awful shots, missing bunnies. Really. I’ll soften a bit on Hurley, but what do these guys practice and where are these recruits we are heralding?
I forgot you're a better coach

Reaction Score
I forgot you're a better coach
We lost to a really bad offense, guys making the same mistakes they’ve made their entire career here, no play calling. I’m sorry- but this was a bad loss.

Reaction Score
West Virginia is horrible. Every team loses players to injuries. Every team deals with bad shooting nights. Every team deals with bad calls by refs. Good teams find ways to win. Even in hostile environments.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I thought the team played well tonight. It is hard to win against major conference opponents with a complete roster. WVU might be a bit of a mess offensively, but they play ferocious defense and when the refs let them play, they are tough to beat. Especially by a UConn team missing 2 of its 3 best players.

Reaction Score
West Virginia is horrible. Every team loses players to injuries. Every team deals with bad shooting nights. Every team deals with bad calls by refs. Good teams find ways to win. Even in hostile environments.
WVU was at full strength and this was our first true road game in 2 years against an old rival and a HOF coach and again without 2 of our 3 best. I wish we won too but but acting like we shouldve won this walking away is just wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom