Report Williams Suffers season ending injury. [ Merged Thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Report Williams Suffers season ending injury. [ Merged Thread]

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Many WBB players just finished a 30+ game season, then got drafted 8 days later, moved to a new state, and then starting working out with their respective teams. Conversely, MBB last played on April 4, and the draft isn't until June 23rd. There's no news yet as to the details of the injury, however meniscus tears, --- tears, and other knee injury are sometimes bad luck, sometimes overuse, and sometimes we'll never know why a player got injured.

Reaction Score
Trainer or Strength and Conditioning Coach? In either case, while I agree that I don't see any reason to "insist" there is a connection, it is probably warranted for the appropriate folks at UConn to give the idea a "glance". To me, that's just a form of due dilligence.

I really wish her the best. I think she will most likely be able to get a training camp invite next year, I'm not sure if Washington retains first dibs, but they are absolutely unlikely to retain her on roster as they might if she was a vet.

I agree on the due diligence point. Of course a program would want to keep an eye on things. However, per posts from others, the S&C coach has been with the program in the past and is well respected. The person I was responding too sounded like they were placing all the blame at their feet which didn't make sense or sound fair.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Is it fair to put it all on the trainer though? If my memory serves correct, some were issues that occurred prior to the season (e.g. Azzi's knee after U19 tourney). Others were things outside of anyone's control (e.g. Caroline's lingering issue after contact to the head).

How many actual injuries can be traced to the trainer? I find it difficult to make a direct connection to this.
It seems that anything bad or unfortunate that happens has to be someone’s fault around here. Blame must be assessed whether it makes sense or not.

Christyn spends 4 years at UConn without an injury, suffers a knee injury at WNBA training camp and somehow that’s the UConn trainer’s fault?

Reaction Score
Christyn is one of my all-time favorite Huskies and I'm so sorry to read that she was injured. ...Will be sending positive energy her way during her surgery and rehab and look forward to seeing her play in the W in the future.

Reaction Score
Hoping she will recover fast and her journey back will be easy. I always took issue with the lack of a break these draftees get coming right off a full college season. Sure it may not have contributed to this injury but I doubt it helped.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It is beyond wretched that Christyn is out before she's in. She was the one who remained strong in the Huskies year of injuries so another word is ironic. Sending her healing energy and positive thoughts.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There were some videos posted of Christyn working out over the past week. I thought she looked REALLY good. She looked trim and was moving very, very well. I'd love to see her back in that condition a.s.a.p., even if it takes several months. Best wishes, Christyn!!! :)

Reaction Score
I feel horrible for Christyn. She was an ironman for UCONN for four years and then days into her WNBA career she experiences this injury. It appeared that Mike Thibault had a vision for her on his squad so I hope she gets that opportunity once she recovers. Prayers for full recover and good things for this great person and beloved HUSKY !

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Very unfortunate, I had post about this last night but it was deleted.
I saw your post yesterday and was glad the mods deleted it. Not quoting you but you said something like there are rumors that one of our new pros has suffered a serious injury. So we didn’t know which player or the source of the information. Perhaps if you had given a source the post would have stayed up. In this instance you turned out to be right but we really don’t need the BY to become part of the rumor mill.

Reaction Score
You realize she was here before? From 1995 to 2005, with 8 NCs (5 wbb, 2 mbb, 1 msoccer) Followed by 2 very high profile B12 mens teams at Kansas and Texas.
I am well aware, I’m sure you’re also well aware that that was 15+ years ago and team success is not an ideal indicator of a S+C coaches ability. Injuries however are a rather good indicator. And the uptick since she’s comeback is indicative of something. Absolutely it is not all on her, and absolutely I am not saying she is bad at her job. I am just saying too much has happened for it to not be connected. I sincerely hope this isn’t an ‘I told you so’ moment for me 12 months from today, but i won’t be holding my breathe.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Aww, that is just....bad. Really bad. Even tenacious rivals can keep perspective (at times) and I've admired what Christyn brings to the floor, her team and fan base. Wish her all the best in addressing the situation (surgery?) and recovery. All the best from the Dome.

Reaction Score
Aww, that is just....bad. Really bad. Even tenacious rivals can keep perspective (at times) and I've admired what Christyn brings to the floor, her team and fan base. Wish her all the best in addressing the situation (surgery?) and recovery. All the best from the Dome.
Stewie has been injured 2019, end of 2022, Alyssa Clark missed all of last season, had not missed anytime before in her career.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Given that Christyn hadn't made the Mystics' roster at the time of her injury, is there any doubt about whether the Mystics will pay for her medical treatment? I certainly hope that the team or the WNBA has group health insurance that fully covers training camp injuries.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am well aware, I’m sure you’re also well aware that that was 15+ years ago and team success is not an ideal indicator of a S+C coaches ability. Injuries however are a rather good indicator. And the uptick since she’s comeback is indicative of something. Absolutely it is not all on her, and absolutely I am not saying she is bad at her job. I am just saying too much has happened for it to not be connected. I sincerely hope this isn’t an ‘I told you so’ moment for me 12 months from today, but i won’t be holding my breathe.
You’re going to beat this dead horse until there’s nothing left to beat. Without any factual basis whatsoever, you are suggesting that one of the foremost strength and conditioning experts in college basketball, men or women, is not competent. Until you have some concrete evidence to back up your absurd and baseless claims, I strongly suggest you find somewhere else, other than the BY, to peddle your ideas.

Reaction Score
Not sure exactly what this means as regards to salary and medical, but this is what Mystics released on twitter:

"We are heartbroken for Christyn and will miss her greatly. She was off to a terrific start in training camp, and I know she will work diligently to make a comeback next season," said general manager and head coach Mike Thibault in an official statement. "She will have our full support and all of our resources during her rehab. She is part of the Mystics family."

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
You’re going to beat this dead horse until there’s nothing left to beat. Without any factual basis whatsoever, you are suggesting that one of the foremost strength and conditioning experts in college basketball, men or women, is not competent. Until you have some concrete evidence to back up your absurd and baseless claims, I strongly suggest you find somewhere else, other than the BY, to peddle your ideas.
Quite eloquent, as my response would have been TYFYIIUCWBB ...

Reaction Score
Not sure exactly what this means as regards to salary and medical, but this is what Mystics released on twitter:

"We are heartbroken for Christyn and will miss her greatly. She was off to a terrific start in training camp, and I know she will work diligently to make a comeback next season," said general manager and head coach Mike Thibault in an official statement. "She will have our full support and all of our resources during her rehab. She is part of the Mystics family."

Sounds like they'll give her the opportunity to rehab with their training staff. If I'm correct that's good on the Mystics.

Reaction Score
I need to weigh in here. Christyn played four years at UConn mostly injury-free. UConn practices are legendarily-brutal and UConn plays more games than almost any other team since they make it to their conference championship and the Final Four every year. Many teams have less talent than UConn and so resort to a more-physical game against our players. And UConn’s kids give it right back. We all know you go hard or you sit. Given all of that, I’d stack UConn’s injury record against any other team. It is nothing short of remarkable that those kids aren’t injured MORE.

Instead of randomly blaming the staff at UConn, please consider this: Christyn has been through a brutal punishing college season Where she was called upon to play major minutes, deep into both tournaments. She’s then immediately thrust into the stress of the draft, end of her college career and a new basketball environment. Probably lots of travel, hotels, lack of sleep, more stress. She is a second round pick so is probably working her off in individual training AND in training camp to try to secure her spot. There’s a new coaching staff possibly asking her to make different moves, different cuts, different reps than her body is used to. She’s also competing against grown women some ten years+ her senior, most of which are bigger, faster, stronger and more-experienced than she is. She may have just pushed too hard, too fast.

Oh and also, injuries just happen and are part of the sport. Nobody is to blame.

Thoughts to Christyn. She has always seemed like a very sensitive and wonderful young woman and I was really rooting for her to shine in the W. Wishes for a speedy recovery and a great season next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom