Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season | Page 53 | The Boneyard

Report: UConn Going To Big East For 2020-2021 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Anyone know when people can talk about the move? After the big east vote(just happened)? Uconn board vote? After the divorce is finalized?

Reaction Score
But not any less true. The NBE is for the most part 1) Nova, 2) a depleted Georgetown; 3)the teams we didn't really care about in the Big East; and 4) some additional teams that we don't really care about. Still it is an upgrade.
Oh so it’s not like Georgetown have James Akinjo or Mac McClung and a new coach in HOF Patrick Ewing.

Reaction Score
Regarding rivalries, there is Temple, Cincinnati, USF, Navy, at least, whether basketball or football. We could have formed rivalries with Houston, Memphis, UCF, SMU and Wichita State in time.

Thats 9 out of 12 schools. Tulane, ECU, and Tulsa were hard to develop rivalries with but could have happened with those schools in time, too.

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
Dear Basketball-Only Fans,

The football team averaged an attendance of about 21,000 last year. For an abysmal team. After years of toiling away.

These people Bleed Blue. They are loyal to UConn. They are alumni, they are Connecticut residents, they are boosters, they are fans.

They want what is best for UConn. For football and almost certainly for basketball as well. I don't know any football fans who don't also root for the basketball team.

For us, it's tough, because it feels like this is probably the death of the program. A program that beat WVU on a cold November night in overtime. The team that went to Notre Dame and beat them. The team that beat Pitt on a rocking night by going for it on a 4th down knowing they'd get those few yards. The team that beat South Carolina in a bowl game.

Those memories are precious to us, and it hurts to realize that there probably won't be any new memories like that.

We hoped that the AAC would not kill the basketball program. Memphis was there. Cincinnati. Houston. Wichita State came in. We didn't want the basketball team to suffer, of course. But the hope was that, if the football team could become respectable again, then maybe, just maybe, in the next wave of P5 realignment, we might be considered. It was probably never going to happen. But at least we had a tiny shred of hope.

But those dreams now seem dead. And for thousands and thousands of UConn football fans, that hurts.

And you're dancing on their graves? Calling yourself a UConn fan?

I think this was probably the right move. Maybe the only move. I don't know. It seems as if there are no options left.

But if you're a real UConn fan, then perhaps you shouldn't take such glee from the death of a program followed by thousands of your fellow UConn fans and alumni. Perhaps your constant denigration of the football team doesn't make you a better UConn fan. Maybe it just means you a jerk.

Anyway. I've made a ton of great memories following the football team, tailgating with friends, screaming U-C-O-N-N after touchdowns. Enjoying beautiful afternoons with the Hartford cityscape in the background. And I'm sad that the program seems in a death spiral.

I'm happy for the basketball programs. Cause I'm a real UConn fan.

If you're celebrating the slow death of UConn Football, are you?

we averaged about 10,000 last year/ game.... about 25% of the stadium, yes I bet most of us are alumni, Were the real fans because we know its better to not sacrifice a legitimate sport for football. Football cant recruit anywhere out side of new England, our quarterbacks have been a joke since 2011, are defense is abysmal, 3 hires in a row. Id rather have football keep being football than have them drag down the basketball team with them. Football is good for one thing, and thats drinking outside

Reaction Score
Are you Telling me @Butch is only here to act like a baby because he knows its the only place he can whine and people will respond?
Being a baby is sacrificing the future for immediate gratification. Smart man. I am a graduate, not a football fan.

Were you crying about the AAC? The responses some give are hilarious.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Regarding rivalries, there is Temple, Cincinnati, USF, Navy, at least, whether basketball or football. We could have formed rivalries with Houston, Memphis, UCF, SMU and Wichita State in time.

Thats 9 out of 12 schools. Tulane, ECU, and Tulsa were hard to develop rivalries with but could have happened with those schools in time, too.

Nah. Not really. Just Cincy and maybe Memphis and Wichita State in time. I’m not down on the AAC, but in terms of potential rivals it was severely lacking. It’s one area where the Big East is a vast upgrade. Fans will respond. I have no doubt.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Oh so it’s not like Georgetown have James Akinjo or Mac McClung and a new coach in HOF Patrick Ewing.
Fair enough but... only post season play since 2015 has been last years first round loss in the NIT:

They aren't exactly killing it. Still I agree Ewing has brought energy back to the program, much Hurley is doing for us.

UconnU

Reaction Score
Are we really that excited to play Providence College? That’s kind of embarrassing
Yes I am excited they are a regional historical rival that’s a basketball school. You know who I wasn’t excited to play? Eastern Carolina, Tulane, Tulsa, Southern Florida, and who ever else the glorified CUSA was planning on throwing at us.

Reaction Score
Also the fact people think this conference is weaker than the AAC basketball wise is dumb. Xavier was a 1 seed not too long ago. Nova has won a few championships in the past few years. The list goes on and on.

Reaction Score
Nah. Not really. Just Cincy and maybe Memphis and Wichita State in time. I’m not down on the AAC, but in terms of potential rivals it was severely lacking. It’s one area where the Big East is a vast upgrade. Fans will respond. I have no doubt.
Somehow, they love Catholic schools extending out to Omaha.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The prime seats for men's BB games at Gampel have been empty for years. That's the big money donors voting with their feet. I'm thinking this was a factor behind the move.

Reaction Score
Fair enough but... only post season play since 2015 has been last years first round loss in the NIT:
View attachment 44115

They aren't exactly killing it. Still I agree Ewing has brought energy back to the program, much Hurley is doing for us.
I’ll agree with you there. I think people need to have patience and wait it out. GTown isn’t going to go downhill from here.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
But not any less true. The NBE is for the most part 1) Nova, 2) a depleted Georgetown; 3)the teams we didn't really care about in the Big East; and 4) some additional teams that we don't really care about. Still it is an upgrade.

This is the correct take. It’s an upgrade, but none of these teams are interesting outside of Nova, and our history with Nova really wasn’t charged. Georgetown kinda sucks

Reaction Score
The prime seats for men's BB games at Gampel have been empty for years. That's the big money donors voting with their feet. I'm thinking this was a factor behind the move.
May very well be possible. Oh well.

UconnU

Reaction Score
Also the fact people think this conference is weaker than the AAC basketball wise is dumb. Xavier was a 1 seed not too long ago. Nova has won a few championships in the past few years. The list goes on and on.
Marquette has been one of the best basketball programs in the country the last 6-7 years. Seton Hall, Providence, even St Johns have improved since realignment. It’s a basketball conference that puts the interests of their basketball programs first. Big time upgrade.

Reaction Score
Marquette has been one of the best basketball programs in the country the last 6-7 years. Marquette, Seton Hall, Providence, even St Johns have improved since realignment.
I forgot to mention that thank you. Way-Too-Early Top 25s show Marquette at #2, but they lost some players so they dropped down in rankings.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Somehow, they love Catholic schools extending out to Omaha.

Because much of the state is Catholic perhaps? The majority of the original Big East is here, minus only Cuse and BC. That’s where we made our name. Not the bastardized version with Louisville and Cinci. Xavier is very good. Creighton packs the gym. These folks care about basketball. I worry about UConn football, but this will help fan interest.

Reaction Score
It's only because we're used to valuing regional FB/BB schools more. I am sure people here would rather be in the same conference with BC.

Reaction Score
Because much of the state is Catholic perhaps? The majority of the original Big East is here, minus only Cuse and BC. That’s where we made our name. Not the bastardized version with Louisville and Cinci. Xavier is very good. Creighton packs the gym. These folks care about basketball. I worry about UConn football, but this will help fan interest.
I am sure that plays a big part. So be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom