Report: Syracuse, Pitt talking to ACC | The Boneyard

Report: Syracuse, Pitt talking to ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Oy! All over again. UConn better get its act together and have a plan for the future.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Can I say it one more time?
The football schools ought to go lock themselves up in a room, and decide how they want to organize football conferences. Then do it, and cut the linkage between football and all other sports. Let the existing conferences remain, or reorganize as best makes sense, but let's stop letting the 800 pound gorilla drag around the basketball, baseball soccer and every other sport. Let's accept that it is the 800 pound gorilla, and will do what it wants, but let's stop hitching every thing else to it.

Reaction Score
Pitt and Syracuse are not going anywhere. Their respective football glory days long behind them. They are basketball schools, charter members of the Big East, a conference that affords them tons of props. They would certain enter the ACC at the top tier, but why would they give up playing their postseason tournament in New York? I do not see their flirtation with the ACC as anything more than a bargaining ploy.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The football schools ought to go lock themselves up in a room, and decide how they want to organize football conferences. Then do it, and cut the linkage between football and all other sports. Let the existing conferences remain, or reorganize as best makes sense, but let's stop letting the 800 pound gorilla drag around the basketball, baseball soccer and every other sport. Let's accept that it is the 800 pound gorilla, and will do what it wants, but let's stop hitching every thing else to it.
i think you are totally right Phil. i can see WVU, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville and Rutgers leaving, and if UCONN doesn't position themselves, they will be left with USF, Cinci, and TCU.

tigger

LSU Tigger
Reaction Score
First of all, the article contradicts its own statements. In the first paragraph, The...Times states that no one from either school or the ACC had a comment.

THEN, in the last half of the article, they actually give us quotes from 2 people, who based on the titles stated, I would think qualify as ACC officials!!

Second, please tell me that you are all as sick of this "an unidentified source with direct knowledge" crap. Is this jounalism are or they just like us---having a good time, guessing, giving opinions, etc.?

Now that I have my rant out of my system, I think it could well be a reality. I do have to wonder what impact that would have on OU going to Big East or ACC---looks to me like the Big East could be an even bigger loser, because if they leave, OU is a lock for the ACC (out of the two).

I, for one could see them and OK State going with A&M to the SEC, along with hopefully and realistically, Missouri. If that or something close happens the ACC is sure to continue to raid the Big East, because they don't want KU, K ST, BU, I-State, or TX Tech. Plus, this might actually start to make some more geographically correct sense. But once again, does the Big East take the stated 5 to get back up to at least 8 FB schools. Hell, they already have TCU---they could have the 2 divisions:)
The Big West and the Big East. Except the East would only have say, after the ACC AND B1G finish, :confused:

just heard on ESPN where the 'cuse and Pitt have indeed applied for membership to ACC, so my story can wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Spot on, Phil, and that is exactly what I hope someone is encouraging UConn to figure it out.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Pitt and Syracuse are not going anywhere. Their respective football glory days long behind them. They are basketball schools, charter members of the Big East, a conference that affords them tons of props. They would certain enter the ACC at the top tier, but why would they give up playing their postseason tournament in New York? I do not see their flirtation with the ACC as anything more than a bargaining ploy.
No one cares about basketball when it comes to money. Football is driving everything, and the Big East is an incredibly weak conference from a football standpoint.

There are now rumors that Texas and Notre Dame are considering joining the ACC as well for everything other than football (in this scenario, both will stay independent for football and play a decent number of ACC teams a year for, in Texas's case, massive amounts of money from ESPN).

A revamped ACC with the current teams, Texas, ND, and the current ACC teams, would be a fine basketball conference, if it comes to that.

Reaction Score
First of all, the article contradicts its own statements. In the first paragraph, The...Times statesthat no one from either school or the ACC had a comment.

THEN, in the last half of the article, they actually give us quotes from 2 people, who based on the titles stated, I would think qualify as ACC officials!!

Tigger, you need to look at the article more closely. It is by the Associated press, talking about the NY Times article, then asking ACC officials to comment. The Times didn't get the comments, the AP did. So there's no contradiction there.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ally Auriemma's sentiment, "If Syracuse and Pitt go to the ACC, I am moving to Yugoslavia."

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

You do know that football is the reason many schools can afford women's basketball teams, golf teams, track & field, etc, right? People may not like it, but football drives the financial bus for most athletic departments.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You do know that football is the reason many schools can afford women's basketball teams, golf teams, track & field, etc, right? People may not like it, but football drives the financial bus for most athletic departments.
My assumption, Nan, was that Phil does realize that and his suggestion suggests those schools with major football programs go off and organize around that reality and that those whose departments are not driven by such considerations manage their own houses likewise according to their needs and structure. The present structure has football schools continually causing chaos in the economic plans of those who have no such reliance on football but are currently in jeopardy because of decisions those football schools may make affecting their conferences.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
As the icebear says, yes, I do know. If they accept now, that revenue generated by the football program for Alma Mater U helps fund the tennis program for Alma Mater U, I would expect them to be equally willing to continue, even if the football conference makeup was different than the tennis conference makeup. Not only that. given that the reorganization is likely to increase revenues (else why do it), I would think they would be very happy, as they would no longer have the fight with all the other sports who might like to keep old rivalries alive. In economic terms, it is a Pareto optimal decision - makes some better off, and no one worse off. (Slight exaggeration, but not much).

Reaction Score
pap49- is right! Teams are jockying for position to get into the 4 coming superconferences. Those left out will be out in the cold and that includes ND and Texas. Once the conferences are formed they will control college football and have more power and no need for the BCS or even the NCAA. They can create their own national champianship and deal direct with the TV market. If Pit and Syr. enter the ACC they the ( the ACC) will be in the drivers seat to be the last big superconference and that leaves out the Big East. As someone mentioned football money fuels everything. Ucon needs to get into the ACC or another major conference before the door closes or they will be left out. Things are moving really fast. The ACC would be stupid to let in Texas and ND and still allow them to keep their TV Networks. That is what they are holding out for but they actually need the conference's more than they need them in the long term.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
How interested will NBC, FOX or ESPN In a contract with ND or Texas if they are locked outside the four 16 team super conferences. 64 of the biggest teams will likely organize a football playoff system to sell to the highest bidder and force reorganization of the bowl structure, too. Potential for a lot of big losers.

Reaction Score
ND might hang in for awhile because they have a national following but Texas "LHN" won't be worth much since it will be isolated to only Texas. Texas doesn't have the same leverage that ND has. They would actually be better off in the "Pac- what ever" financially than to keeping their network but their ego's are getting in the way. Still if the Superconferences do form and ditch the BCS the independants have no shot at the major bowl games and that will ultimately even effect ND. Another thing with the larger conferences that leaves fewer non conference games and who is ND or Texas going to play? that is ranked?

ADDED: Icebear. You get the picture and are right on the money. This is not just about conference re-alinement but TV money and the power and control over college athletics tha comes with it. The Pac 12 Scott set the standard for what can be accomplished though a TV contract that allows a conference to control their own marketing. I think that will be the standard used in the future in all conferences.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Spot on, Phil, and that is exactly what I hope someone is encouraging UConn to figure it out.
Pardon me, sir, but are you by chance the poster previously known as the pastor previously known as Icebear?

Reaction Score
Ally Auriemma's sentiment, "If Syracuse and Pitt go to the ACC, I am moving to Yugoslavia."
I'm going to see if she wants a roomate. This is really bad news.

Reaction Score
First of all, the article contradicts its own statements. In the first paragraph, The...Times statesthat no one from either school or the ACC had a comment.

Second, please tell me that you are all as sick of this "an unidentified source with direct knowledge" crap. Is this jounalism are or they just like us---having a good time, guessing, giving opinions, etc.?

Now that I have my rant out of my system, I think it could well be a reality. I do have to wonder what impact that would have on OU going to Big East or ACC---looks to me like the Big East could be an even bigger loser, because if they leave, OU is a lock for the ACC (out of the two).

I, for one could see them and OK State going with A&M to the SEC, along with hopefully and realistically, Missouri. If that or something close happens the ACC is sure to continue to raid the Big East, because they don't want KU, K ST, BU, I-State, or TX Tech. Plus, this might actually start to make some more geographically correct sense. But once again, does the Big East take the stated 5 to get back up to at least 8 FB schools. Hell, they already have TCU---they could have the 2 divisions:)
The Big West and the Big East. Except the East would only have say, after the ACC AND B1G finish, :confused:

just heard on ESPN where the 'cuse and Pitt have indeed applied for membership to ACC, so my story can wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think you have to worry about OU going to the ACC or even the SEC. They are going to apply to go to the Pac12. It's a given and OK state will probably follow. They are just waiting for some time to pass so other teams in the Big (12 or whatever) to make their moves to other conferences. If the conference desolves they will not have to pay a buyout. The Pac 12 just signed a new TV contract that gives a huge payout equally to each school. They have 100% of their top tier programing. the ACC or any other conference could not hope to match that. Tigger you might want to check out some other sites they will give you a better understanding of what is actually going on. Obviously by you remarks on OU you had no clue.

The conferences now are waiting for the schools to apply rather than reaching out to them in order to avoid any legal ramifications in the future. Syr, and Pitt applying pretty much dictated which of the eastern leagues would remain as a major player in football. Pretty much all the Majors Pac, ACC, SEC,Big10 are looking to expand to 16 they just don't want to be the first ones to make a move or declare it. Every one knows this so all they have to do is wait for the right schools to apply. Pac would prefer that Texas and who ever they chose to bring along applys. They don't really need them because they already have a big contract. Texas has a choice to keep their LHN and go to the ACC or independant or merge their network with equal sharing in the Pac. They actually would get a lot more money merging but politics and ego is making them explore other options. They also do not want to share regional control with another area team because they would lose their recruiting advantage in Texas. As I have posted before I don't think independence is a good long term financial option for them. Going to any other conference but the ACC ( who would allow them to keep their network) and the PAC will result in a loss of money. They also want to broadcast Texas high school games on their network which gives them a huge advantage in recuiting. That is the reason for the breakup of the Big 12, and why A&M and OU are leaving. Their greed has alienated Neb, A&M, OU, Ok state to they point that they might not even play them anymore.

I might add that the ACC would really be stupid to allow either Texas or ND to keep their networks because it would impact any deal the conference could make in the futue for TV rights and thats what the Superconference's are all about.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm going to see if she wants a roomate. This is really bad news.
The worst news is that this is like the third time that Pitt and Cuse have tried to leave the conference which should make it clear to UConn leadership that those two have NO intention of staying in the Big East and that the conference is eventually doomed.

Reaction Score
It's not just about money but National TV exposure that impacts recruiting. Unless Ucon is satisfied with a basketball conference they need to get pro-active. They are desirable to the football conferences but an opening for them might not last very long. The A&M move set the domino's falling and now it won't stop till there are 16 team conferences. This is just like the Stock Market when it starts to fall, panic selling.

Reaction Score
FWIW, supposedly Rutgers and Uconn are under consideration for the ACC. Also Rutgers may be considering the Big 10.

Reaction Score
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is reporting that the applications of Syracuse and Pittsburgh have been accepted by the ACC. There will be an ACC media teleconference annoucement at 9:30 AM Sunday.

Reaction Score
FWIW, supposedly Rutgers and Uconn are under consideration for the ACC. Also Rutgers may be considering the Big 10.

Rutgers is NOT considering the Big 10. RU would accept a B10 invitation before the ink was dry. But there is no such invitation.

I'm skeptical on ACC interest in CT & RU.

Meanwhile, Syr & Pitt to ACC is now official.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom