Report: Michala is transferring to Wisconsin | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Report: Michala is transferring to Wisconsin

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Written by the Courant's John A. I believe the Courant is a Tribune-owned paper.

By the time I realized the article was written be CT's own John A, it was too late to edit my post.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
images
I like big butts and I cannot lie..........

errrr, maybe not.

Or maybe........

Reaction Score
I’m happy for her. She seemed like a good kid, who just got derailed by her knee injuries and fell behind. She never seemed to lose her smile. It’ll be a good move for her. She should see a lot of playing time, and she’ll be with her sister.
Best of luck, Michala!!!

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I am happy that Michala will be playing with her sister. however part of this makes me sad! Being from Chicago I saw what Michala could bring to the UCONN team prior to her knee injuries. She was a tremendous athlete and joy to watch! I will miss seeing her in a UCONN uniform. Best of Luck Michala and tear up the Big Ten!!!!!

Reaction Score
I thought she'd started developing nicely this year, showing flashes of why she was recruited in the first place. However, it's true that her prolonged recovery from injuries and the UConn recruiting smorgasbord put her behind the 8-ball here. I expect she'll do very well in the B1G.

Reaction Score
Any nice, late developing players flying under the radar that might still be uncommitted for next season for Geno to consider, or does he save MJ's scholarship for 2013?

Reaction Score
Any nice, late developing players flying under the radar that might still be uncommitted for next season for Geno to consider, or does he save MJ's scholarship for 2013?

No.
We've got 12 players for next year; that's enough.

And we already had 5 scholarships available for 2013; highly doubtful those were all going to be used.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Best wishes to Michala. i know she was highly rated prior to her two ACL's and it's impossible to know how good she could have been. i often wonder how players like her, Engeln and Buck would fare at less storied programs. it will be really interesting to see what kind of PT and stats she puts up after rehabbing her knees 1 more year and then hitting it hard for her last two.

on edit, her knees may be fully rehabbed. i guess i meant working on strength and whatever else she needs to do to get stronger and recover as much as possible after 2 ACL's. i hope she's a star for Wisconsin...

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
MJ seems to be saying "homesick"... nothing about playing time. Homesick is understandable but giving up the "UConn Wave" is a tough one.

No team will have 12-15 players getting 10-15 minutes a game. Someone has to ride the pine. Im glad to see Lauren, Heather & Banks still riding the "Wave".

Everyone isnt going to make it to the WNBA so sometimes players need to be realistic. Have fun and enjoy the college life.

Im sure MJ will take what she learned at UConn and pass it on to her new team.

Reaction Score
MJ seems to be saying "homesick"... nothing about playing time. Homesick is understandable but giving up the "UConn Wave" is a tough one.quote]

I've decided this is all their parents' fault. They are obviously making home life too happy for these kids. My friends and I couldn't wait to get away from home when it was time for college!! Too many rules, too many curfews, too much teen angst.

And I'm sure our parents were happy to see us go too:)

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
No.
We've got 12 players for next year; that's enough.

That would seem to be plenty, as far as putting a team on the floor.

It's possible that an additional team member(s) still could be a big contributor OFF the floor. Geno has extended scholarships to walk-ons, and it wasn't because their bball skills were going to be hugely important assets.

Scholarships are available. It wouldn't be a bad thing to use them for a kid who understands contributions she could make "in the locker room." Hey ... it's expensive to go to college these days, and there probably are some great potential teammates out there who could use help in that regard. The coach has made some comments about how valuable the student-managers are to the team ... there are many sources of value to a team other than a crucial steal, rebound or score.

Finding a fair way of rewarding that may be a knotty problem, I realise. Usually it's just words of appreciation and the personal joys of being part of a great team. But if there could be more tangible results, why not bestow them?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
It's gotta be tough on a kid who obviously had enough promise and talent to be highly recruited and signed with a program like UConn only to sit on the bench for two years. She was obviously behind physically, and once you get a year or two behind there is no catching up. Her situation is a little different than a walk-on who clearly knows their role and is obvioulsy there to be a practice player and locker room teammate.

I'm sure she went to UConn with the expectation of playing, as do all players. That's a tough realization when you see that if you didn't play your freshman and sophomore years when your position didn't have a lot of depth, you sure aren't going to the next two, when there is depth there. I'm sure the staff were honest with her, and kudos to her for deciding she would rather play somewhere close to home and with her sister.

Reaction Score
That would seem to be plenty, as far as putting a team on the floor.

It's possible that an additional team member(s) still could be a big contributor OFF the floor. Geno has extended scholarships to walk-ons, and it wasn't because their bball skills were going to be hugely important assets.

Scholarships are available. It wouldn't be a bad thing to use them for a kid who understands contributions she could make "in the locker room." Hey ... it's expensive to go to college these days, and there probably are some great potential teammates out there who could use help in that regard. The coach has made some comments about how valuable the student-managers are to the team ... there are many sources of value to a team other than a crucial steal, rebound or score.

Finding a fair way of rewarding that may be a knotty problem, I realise. Usually it's just words of appreciation and the personal joys of being part of a great team. But if there could be more tangible results, why not bestow them?

With the exception of Fernandes, I'm pretty sure all the walk-ons have been non-scholarship for at least a year before getting a scholarship. Seems highly unlikely a player could show up and be so amazing as to not only make the team, but earn a scholly immediately.

Reaction Score
MJ seems to be saying "homesick"... nothing about playing time. Homesick is understandable but giving up the "UConn Wave" is a tough one.

No team will have 12-15 players getting 10-15 minutes a game. Someone has to ride the pine. Im glad to see Lauren, Heather & Banks still riding the "Wave".

Everyone isnt going to make it to the WNBA so sometimes players need to be realistic. Have fun and enjoy the college life.

Im sure MJ will take what she learned at UConn and pass it on to her new team.

Homesick is what many will say to avoid being perceived as selfish or not thinking in the best interests of the team. Bottom line is that most athletes want to play. For many, sitting on the bench for a winning team does not outweigh the benefits of playing and competing on a less successful team.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Homesick is what many will say to avoid being perceived as selfish or not thinking in the best interests of the team. Bottom line is that most athletes want to play. For many, sitting on the bench for a winning team does not outweigh the benefits of playing and competing on a less successful team.

Both homesick and wanting to play are reasonable thoughts to me. Indeed, not caring if you play or having no home to miss seem starkly sad.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
SO I rewatched part of the Hartford game on ESPN3 from last year's NCAAs (it's still up on archive no ESPN3) and Michala played a LOT in that game. I mean, I think she went in at the 16:00 mark of the second half, I could be wrong. She did pretty well, scored some buckets and got fouled, but you could tell she was not as strong as the other players. Lots of potential there, though...she can finish aroud the basket pretty well and has good hands. I think she'll do well at Wisconsin with more playing time and confidence...

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
....Her situation is a little different than a walk-on who clearly knows their role and is obvioulsy there to be a practice player and locker room teammate.

To clarify, my earlier post was in reference to 12 players being enough (I agree). Wanted to point out that giving more scholarships than 12 could be a good thing.

Post was not meant to be a reference to Michala.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
With the exception of Fernandes, I'm pretty sure all the walk-ons have been non-scholarship for at least a year before getting a scholarship. Seems highly unlikely a player could show up and be so amazing as to not only make the team, but earn a scholly immediately.

So, like Stacey Marron, she could earn a scholarship. That's cool. I was just saying that kids who are not going to do much in game still could deserve a free ride because of overall value to the team. And so, while 12 players are enough, having 13-15 on scholarship could be a nice thing if you find kids who would be happy in that role.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
SO I rewatched part of the Hartford game on ESPN3 from last year's NCAAs (it's still up on archive no ESPN3) and Michala played a LOT in that game. I mean, I think she went in at the 16:00 mark of the second half, I could be wrong. She did pretty well, scored some buckets and got fouled, but you could tell she was not as strong as the other players. Lots of potential there, though...she can finish aroud the basket pretty well and has good hands. I think she'll do well at Wisconsin with more playing time and confidence...

Not to mention the fact that she will sit out the upcoming year, giving her a whole year to workout, practice, get stronger, etc. before starting to use her last 2 years of eligibility. I would be delighted if, by her final year of play, she had recovered enough strength & power in those knees/legs to have an All Big 10 year.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
So, like Stacey Marron, she could earn a scholarship. That's cool. I was just saying that kids who are not going to do much in game still could deserve a free ride because of overall value to the team. And so, while 12 players are enough, having 13-15 on scholarship could be a nice thing if you find kids who would be happy in that role.
Remember that Geno saves those last couple of scholarships to share with the managers.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Remember that Geno saves those last couple of scholarships to share with the managers.
If he doesn't have players available to use them. I don't think he specifically saves them for the managers. Just he will let the manager's use them if there are no players who warrant them.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
If he doesn't have players available to use them. I don't think he specifically saves them for the managers. Just he will let the manager's use them if there are no players who warrant them.
That is how I understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom