Report from Gampel...skills work for posts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Report from Gampel...skills work for posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Okay I'm gonna just start posting ITT. I'm basically going to be going every day if I can. Mon Wed Fri will be guards and SFs and Tues Thurs will be PFs and Cs. It's just how my class schedule worked out. I probably won't do this every day, because it will probably just end up being alot of the same. I'll definitely post if I make some kind of new observation.

So today I stopped by Gampel on the way to the gym. I got to Gampel around 1:25 and AD and Enosch were already working. It's now 3:15 and the SFs started at 3 so either the PFs start before the Cs or after the SFs (I think the former because I saw Bradley and Olander sitting in the stands watching the Cs). This is gonna be a big post.

(stuff) AD just turned 18 and has never really had to try hard to be successful, and Enosch isn't too polished (at least he wasn't last year). They were working on their physicality and zone-busting shot.

Anywho, I guess I'll start off with AD. He really is as advertised. His pivoting is very strong. He was consistently hitting all different types of shots from the 4 different high-post pivots they were working on, although, as some have observed by now, he has a low release, basically from his chin. He lets the flick of his wrist do most of the shot. During drills where they would set a screen and box out the other player for a pass down low, AD was struggling to stay low and use his legs for power. For some reason he was REALLY struggling on shooting quickly from the line (zone-busting spot). Compared to Enosch, he didn't appear to be trying very hard, as some people claim he tends to do. Maybe it's because he's so ridiculously athletic (especially next to Enosch) and makes it look effortless, but in the drills where they were half-simulating game speed, he was not hustling.

Enosch looked like he lost a solid amount of weight. You can tell by looking at his neck. He was working really hard, especially next to AD. His entire shirt was soaked through, and he was moving as fast as his 7'1" body would let him. You could hear the effort he was putting into his moves, and he was swearing when his shots weren't falling. His footwork is still not great. He was affective with both hands (did you guys know he's lefty? I didn't until today) low in the post and with his hook. Very consistent jumpshooting off the glass. In the FT line shooting, he was excellent. I remember that that was Gavin Edwards' shot, and I think Enosch can be another Gavin, if not this year, eventually. He was having trouble staying low and getting his arms in good position like AD was.

At around 1:55 JL and Boatright came onto the court and I watched them warm up themselves a bit, then went to the gym. Came back around 2:30 to watch the guards. DD was there and the first thought I had was oh man, I missed DD practice. We have 2 guards who we know are skilled and a third who has top-20 talent, but probably isn't top-20 because of his decision-making. I'm only going to bother going into Boatright because we all already know that JL and SN are good.

I only caught the last 30 minutes of them as well, but just in time to see Boatright's moves, and man, does he have them. He can move laterally in the paint like Kemba can. He's going to be splitting defenders like it's nobody's business. He has a great handle, incredible ups, and a nice, high release. In DD's thread I said that he could be our most explosive player this year, and while I am still holding on to that claim, I think Boatright has a chance to be that guy.

As expected, all three were kind of struggling shooting threes while moving to their left, but were nearly automatic moving to their right, especially Boatright.

At around 2:50 Roscoe and Giffey joined DD and they started warming up. I only watched them for a bout 10 or 15 minutes. Giffey still does not have a very good shot. He was missing from pretty much everywhere. I noticed Roscoe has a lower shot like AD, but not as low. DD, on the other hand, has a beautiful shot. Very high release. I was surprised to see how slender he really is in person; his hips appeared super narrow. As I said before, I think DD is the most ready to be the most explosive player on the team this year. Hmm, I just left Gampel a half hour ago but can't really remember much else to say about teh SFs.

Well, that's all I can remember for now.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Two things with Roscoe's weight. One, he is very ecto-mesomorphic. Therefore, any weight he puts on is going to be muscle. Muscle is much denser than fat, so he won't look much larger if he adds 5-10 lbs of muscle and no fat. Two, adding 10lbs of muscle to a 6'8" frame is not going to do much visually. Especially if he adds a lot of it to his thighs, glutes, and mid back. The team trains to make these areas bigger and stronger because that is what allows a person to become a faster runner, better jumper, and better at boxing out. What is noticeable with a tank top or t-shirt on is arm size, and back/chest width. However, a basketball player typically will not focus their training on these areas.
I totally agree, but I was kind of expecting his calves to be bigger around than my forearm, lol. But yeah most 6'8 dudes are skinny around there.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Nice reports, Blake and Baby.

Reaction Score
Baby- those are some strong words about DD. Did I miss an earlier post with some more observations? If DD turns out to be our most explosive player then we are looking really really good this year. My thoughts would be JL, AD, AO, SN then maybe DD- but that is just conjecture at this point on my part. The DD comments seem to be all over the map.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Baby- those are some strong words about DD. Did I miss an earlier post with some more observations? If DD turns out to be our most explosive player then we are looking really really good this year. My thoughts would be JL, AD, AO, SN then maybe DD- but that is just conjecture at this point on my part. The DD comments seem to be all over the map.

Well, "explosive" doesn't necessarily mean good. Exhibit A: Doug Wrenn. But, yes, it sounds promising!!!

Reaction Score
Thanks Baby and all responders. Great thread! Take it easy and keep the info. coming in.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
JL will arguably be our main threat, but he does it smoothly. DD has the body and the skills to be the most explosive. Stanley Robinson was, without a doubt, our most explosive player when he was here, but he was not necessarily our best player. Imagine Roscoe with a nicer shot and footwork. Remember, however, this is all off about and hour and 15 minutes of watching, and only about 20 of those were of the SFs. I could be wrong.

Reaction Score
Sportsman5 wrote about Roscoe Smith "One, he is very ecto-mesomorphic".

Easy for you to say, not so easy for an old guy to understand - please help.

Reaction Score
JL will arguably be our main threat, but he does it smoothly. DD has the body and the skills to be the most explosive. Stanley Robinson was, without a doubt, our most explosive player when he was here, but he was not necessarily our best player. Imagine Roscoe with a nicer shot and footwork. Remember, however, this is all off about and hour and 15 minutes of watching, and only about 20 of those were of the SFs. I could be wrong.
If DD is RS with a nicer shot and better footwork I will be one happy UCONN fan.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
If DD is RS with a nicer shot and better footwork I will be one happy UCONN fan.
Well, when they practice driving and shooting they essentially get to use whatever route and shot they want. DD definitely appeared more impressive at both in the short time I watched.

Reaction Score
A top ten player in the country is supposed to be a stud. Can't wait to see this guy in person.

Reaction Score
A top ten player in the country is supposed to be a stud. Can't wait to see this guy in person.

I don't think its fair for us to expect DD to perform like a top 10 recruit. He may be that good, but #10 was easily his highest ranking. I think he was like RSCI #22 or something like that. I'm not picking on you in anyway, usually everyone refers to DD as a top 10 guy and it may be misleading to ourselves.

Reaction Score
I totally agree, but I was kind of expecting his calves to be bigger around than my forearm, lol. But yeah most 6'8 dudes are skinny around there.

I understand. Black guys often have small calves with the insertion of the gastrocnemius far from the ankle. It's purely genetic. It has almost nothing to do with how much or how well a person trains them. The further a muscle inserts from the joint the greater the leverage advantage and the greater the potential for strength. Hence one of the reasons for the HUGE vertical leap of guys like Stanley Robinson even though they have small calves.

Reaction Score
Sportsman5 wrote about Roscoe Smith "One, he is very ecto-mesomorphic".

Easy for you to say, not so easy for an old guy to understand - please help.

There are 3 body types. Ectomorph, Mesomorph, and endomorph. A person is often times a cross between two of them. A pure Ectomorph is tall, thin, has narrow shoulders, and will have difficulty adding muscle and fat. A mesomorph has broad shoulders, a naturally muscular build, low body fat levels, and will easily be able to add muscle without adding fat. An endomorph has a similar build to a mesomorph, but will carry more body fat and will gain body fat more easily. An ecto-mesomorph is naturally thin, but will gain muscle fairly easily with weight training. If anyone has something to add, feel free.

Reaction Score
Not to be a wet blanket, but unless we've got an exception, it's an NCAA violation to have supervised workouts now. Calls into question the validity of these reports. Just sayin'.

Reaction Score
I think coaches can spend a few hours a week in individual workouts, at least that it used to be

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I think JC would know better than to do that while we're on probation.

Reaction Score
NCAA rules stipulate that out-of-season team workouts, termed "skill-related instruction" sessions, "shall not be publicized and shall not be conducted in view of a general public audience."

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Are they allowed to lock up Gampel when they happen to be practicing? Kids walk through there every day to cut to class a little quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom