Report: Cooper Flagg cancels visit to Kansas, meaning decision could come down to UConn and Duke | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Report: Cooper Flagg cancels visit to Kansas, meaning decision could come down to UConn and Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This reminds me of the Nike movie "Air" where Dook is Adidas and Scheyer is the evil German guy and Danny is the good guy, Sonny Vaccaro. Except this movie is longer....

Reaction Score
Question for the recruiting experts on here: in this situation, would Flagg have requested this coaching visit? Approved a UConn request for the visit? Or is it an open deal for any coach who wants to visit?

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
These articles are a waste of "ink." Not a single person is saying that landing Cooper Flagg is critical to the program's future, nor is anyone proposing that Hurley focus on building a roster full of 5 star, one-and-done players.

Cooper Flagg is potentially a generational talent. He is the most hyped prospect since one of the two best players of all time. It is not controversial to simply say that adding a player of that caliber to the infrastructure and culture that Hurley has already built would indisputably be a great thing. All the rest is people being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian or arguing against straw men.

Well since so few paper and magazines are now sold not sure the ink and paper waste is still a viable point. While you make some good points just the fact that we are now 6 pages into our 4th thread on this topic at the very least it is an attention grabber. I made the same point about a week ago that the courant just made in a recent article. Even in our hay days we were never at the table with the top 5 high school players. You could make the point that UConn has never been more relevant on the national stage than we are now. If every year we are on the list of one or two top ten players coming out of high school then we can say we finally caught up to Dook, Kentucky. UNC and Kansas. There has never been a better time to be a UConn men’s basketball fan. Or at least that is how I feel.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Those ROTC parties were good. I remember the bar in the student union which I believe was called "the pub" and they absolutely would let anyone in with a student ID, but drinking age was 18 when I went to UConn. Keep in mind that as an alternative on Thursday and Friday nights there were parties in most forms. Often parties and every other floor. Those were good days, but I'm pretty sure all my liver an apology.
I just missed those. Had to hear all about them, which was no fun. We did have "pub night" at the Towers common room freshman year, but they nuked everything the next year.

Reaction Score
Who knows if that's even in his thinking but there'd be little wrong with that pathway - it worked for Alex Karaban who was at IMG Academy.

Karaban was a little different. He was injured and not nearly the same caliber of prospect. It did work great for him though.

A player of Flagg's caliber is thinking EXPOSURE first and foremost. He's going to build his brand as much as he can before the NBA and getting real game reps against the best high school players in the world.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well since so few paper and magazines are now sold not sure the ink and paper waste is still a viable point.
He said "ink" not ink. Big difference.

Reaction Score
Karaban was a little different. He was injured and not nearly the same caliber of prospect. It did work great for him though.

A player of Flagg's caliber is thinking EXPOSURE first and foremost. He's going to build his brand as much as he can before the NBA and getting real game reps against the best high school players in the world.
I hear what you're saying and there's lots to agree with, I just wonder if he is comfortable with placing less emphasis on the exposure aspect and is more concerned with developing his game as much as possible as quickly as possible because he is so young. The quicker he becomes an NBA all star, the more money he makes off the court. Should be an interesting journey too say the least.

Reaction Score
Those ROTC parties were good. I remember the bar in the student union which I believe was called "the pub" and they absolutely would let anyone in with a student ID, but drinking age was 18 when I went to UConn. Keep in mind that as an alternative on Thursday and Friday nights there were parties in most forms. Often parties and every other floor. Those were good days, but I'm pretty sure all my liver an apology.
The Anonymous Pub!

Reaction Score
I hear what you're saying and there's lots to agree with, I just wonder if he is comfortable with placing less emphasis on the exposure aspect and is more concerned with developing his game as much as possible as quickly as possible because he is so young. The quicker he becomes an NBA all star, the more money he makes off the court. Should be an interesting journey too say the least.

There's little evidence it's really that effective for player development anyways. There's a good shot Karaban would have been successful regardless. And for a kid like CFJ the early year was a disaster.

And think about what was Karaban's problem early last year: defense against physical 4s. What solved it? Game speed reps. Game speed reps > anything in this game, and Cooper is getting the highest level game speed reps you can as a hs star.

Coming early is great to learn a system and develop chemistry. Those are secondary concerns for Cooper.

Reaction Score
There's little evidence it's really that effective for player development anyways. There's a good shot Karaban would have been successful regardless. And for a kid like CFJ the early year was a disaster.

And think about what was Karaban's problem early last year: defense against physical 4s. What solved it? Game speed reps. Game speed reps > anything in this game, and Cooper is getting the highest level game speed reps you can as a hs star.

Coming early is great to learn a system and develop chemistry. Those are secondary concerns for Cooper.
Enrolling early would allow him to take advantage of our strength and training program. The kids is obviously a freak, but adding some muscle before playing D1 wouldn’t be a bad thing.

Reaction Score
These articles are a waste of "ink." Not a single person is saying that landing Cooper Flagg is critical to the program's future, nor is anyone proposing that Hurley focus on building a roster full of 5 star, one-and-done players.

Cooper Flagg is potentially a generational talent. He is the most hyped prospect since one of the two best players of all time. It is not controversial to simply say that adding a player of that caliber to the infrastructure and culture that Hurley has already built would indisputably be a great thing. All the rest is people being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian or arguing against straw men.
“Cooper Flagg is potentially a generational talent.”

Exactly! The most valid comparison isn't to the #1 recruit each year, but to the ”generational” #1s, like Anthony Davis and Zion.

If CF comes here, this team would be closer in strength to AD’s Kentucky team (3 other first round picks, Marcus Teague, Michael Kidd Gilchrist, & Terrence Jones, plus Doron Lamb in the second) than to Zion’s Duke team (with only RJ Barrett & Cam Reddish drafted in Round 1, and none in Round 2).

Reaction Score
Enrolling early would allow him to take advantage of our strength and training program. The kids is obviously a freak, but adding some muscle before playing D1 wouldn’t be a bad thing.

Montverde's strength training is elite--the facilities are better than the vast majority of colleges. It's a literal basketball factory. I'm not sure about any dieticians they have on staff. But honestly, their strength coach is probably more qualified than ours. His name is Tim Crowley if you want to look up his bio.

Flagg isn't coming to college from Bristol Central. This is an entirely different kind of recruit than we're used to.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

I’m just not even sure why a hometown media company would write an article like this in the heat of a recruiting battle.

Regardless of the odds of us landing him, it’s just dumb.

pj

Reaction Score

Are you saying UConn's practice speed is slower than game speed? Slower than Montverde speed?

I have trouble believing that.

Reaction Score
Montverde's strength training is elite--the facilities are better than the vast majority of colleges. It's a literal basketball factory. I'm not sure about any dieticians they have on staff. But honestly, their strength coach is probably more qualified than ours. His name is Tim Crowley if you want to look up his bio.

Flagg isn't coming to college from Bristol Central. This is an entirely different kind of recruit than we're used to.
What actually makes a good strength coach or a qualified strength coach? I pulled up the guy, sounds like his specialty has been working with triathletes in his career and he now works with athletes from every sport at Montverde.

I know nothing about triathlons because I've never done them and never was a swimmer or cyclist but when it comes to making people physically stronger it's incredibly straight forward and simple. There are some things you can implement that are sport specific but the bad strength coaches are the ones who try and reinvent the wheel and there's a lot of them.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
I’m just not even sure why a hometown media company would write an article like this in the heat of a recruiting battle.

Regardless of the odds of us landing him, it’s just dumb.
The guy could have taken an offer from espn

Reaction Score
Are you saying UConn's practice speed is slower than game speed? Slower than Montverde speed?

I have trouble believing that.

Not game speed... actual games is what I meant. With referees, real scores, and some pride on the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom