Report Card Scouting Report vs USC | The Boneyard

Report Card Scouting Report vs USC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Watched the contest against BYU, here’s what I picked up

E. Mobley- 9.0: Uses all of his 7ft frame and reach. Comes with some good footwork on offense. Stoppable offensively if the defender just moves his feet. Monster on defense. Let him shoot, nothing threatening there.
I. Mobley- 8.5: comes with more moves than his brother offensively. 6’10 Creative. Foul susceptible, including offensive charges. Also a monster on defense. Let him shoot as well.
D. Peterson- 8.5: guard, shot the ball lights out inside and out. Made a slew of good decisions with the ball offensively and IMO is the catalyst for this team. I figure Martin needs to be guarding this kid at all times.
T. Eaddy- 7.0: point guard, had lot of points, not impressed. Makes poor decisions with the ball, at times selfish. And a big defensive liability, lazy. R.j Cole should pick this kid apart. Streaky shooter.
S. Goodwin- 6.5: decent 4 position player. Also comes with some moves down low. Part of the “trees” on defense.
I. White, M. Agbankpolo, E. Anderson- 5.0: These 3 are all the same type of player. Athletic w no shot or touch. They pump fake and drive (and miss). If we’re going to double team the bigs, these are the guys to leave open.

Game notes:
-Not impressed. They lack energy/chemistry/culture
-A bunch of misfit transfers with 2 very talented brothers.
-Their 3 ball defense is poop. BYU shot something like 15% from 3, but it wasn’t due to good close outs, these were OPEN shots.
-Down low is a different story. It’s a forest block party that has no regards for social distancing, none. Makes me reluctant to want to try anything down low. Whaley needs to bring the poppers.
-The R.J Cole ‘drive and floater’ is wide open along with the three ball.
-Their offense Boiled down to two things: ISO ball and offensive rebounds.
-When beat on a move, we need to foul hard. Poor ft percentage
-Our bigs need to bring their lunch pales to work. This could be a great matchup for Carlton.
-We’re better.

Reaction Score
Watched the contest against BYU, here’s what I picked up

E. Mobley- 9.0: Uses all of his 7ft frame and reach. Comes with some good footwork on offense. Stoppable offensively if the defender just moves his feet. Monster on defense. Let him shoot, nothing threatening there.
I. Mobley- 8.5: comes with more moves than his brother offensively. 6’10 Creative. Foul susceptible, including offensive charges. Also a monster on defense. Let him shoot as well.
D. Peterson- 8.5: guard, shot the ball lights out inside and out. Made a slew of good decisions with the ball offensively and IMO is the catalyst for this team. I figure Martin needs to be guarding this kid at all times.
T. Eaddy- 7.0: point guard, had lot of points, not impressed. Makes poor decisions with the ball, at times selfish. And a big defensive liability, lazy. R.j Cole should pick this kid apart. Streaky shooter.
S. Goodwin- 6.5: decent 4 position player. Also comes with some moves down low. Part of the “trees” on defense.
I. White, M. Agbankpolo, E. Anderson- 5.0: These 3 are all the same type of player. Athletic w no shot or touch. They pump fake and drive (and miss). If we’re going to double team the bigs, these are the guys to leave open.

Game notes:
-Not impressed. They lack energy/chemistry/culture
-A bunch of misfit transfers with 2 very talented brothers.
-Their 3 ball defense is poop. BYU shot something like 15% from 3, but it wasn’t due to good close outs, these were OPEN shots.
-Down low is a different story. It’s a forest block party that has no regards for social distancing, none. Makes me reluctant to want to try anything down low. Whaley needs to bring the poppers.
-The R.J Cole ‘drive and floater’ is wide open along with the three ball.
-Their offense Boiled down to two things: ISO ball and offensive rebounds.
-When beat on a move, we need to foul hard. Poor ft percentage
-Our bigs need to bring their lunch pales to work. This could be a great matchup for Carlton.
-We’re better.

DOOMED

Reaction Score
I feel like some midrangers from Whaley could draw him out of the paint a little. Open the lane to a cutting Ajax who puts someone on a poster

This is really the game we're going to miss Akok. You can see the wide open big men shooting in that clip. We'll see if Polley can defend enough to stay in the game at the 4 and/or if Martin is willing to shoot from 3 (and able to make them).

Sanogo's D isn't really ready yet for these guys, but we'll likely have to lean on 2 bigs because we don't have that legit stretch 4 who can defend a big on one end and make them pay from deep for lane camping on the other.

Reaction Score
In retrospect, it’s better that the Vanderbilt game was cancelled.

DH and the team needed time to practice and prepare for USC and NC ST, and this week of practice will be more beneficial to playing competitively in those games than playing Vanderbilt would’ve been.

Reaction Score
We are more athletic but we have to shoot . Mabye someone will step up.
Don't forget Gafney-he steps up in the big games.
Anyone who forgets Gafney is a dope and doesn't know baskethall.

Reaction Score
We are more athletic but we have to shoot . Mabye someone will step up.
Don't forget Gafney-he steps up in the big games.
Anyone who forgets Gafney is a dope and doesn't know baskethall.

Did someone forget Gaffney? Not sure where this was going. We can’t forget about anyone right now we need everyone to improve and help.

This is a fun matchup to watch and a perfect test for many different parts of the game. Whaley’s D will be key as will Polley, Sanogo and Jackson may even be able to guard a bigger player in short intervals.

Danny and the staff will be tested too finding the right combo’s. Can’t wait!

Reaction Score
Getting a waiver for Drew Peterson provides USC a major X-factor. Long guard with a crafty offensive game.

USC's backcourt is not very good. We win this game if the defense hounds the backcourt and creates points in transition. We don't want USC to play a half-court offensive game against us.

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
Well, it's going to be trial by fire tonight.

Based on that YouTube sampler, Evan Mobley is really quite skilled. We've got a freshman with less than 2 games experience. We've got Carlton, who may end up being the one guy who can slow - not contain - Mobley. And we've got Whaley, who absolutely cannot get into foul trouble, or we're going to have a really long night.

Start Sonogo against Mobley, pull him at two fouls (which might be within 5 minutes), then throw Carlton at him. I'd even throw Brown in to keep Whaley out of foul trouble.

We better hit our threes . . .

I'm jazzed up for this one . . .

Reaction Score

Based on that YouTube sampler, Evan Mobley is really quite skilled. We've got a freshman with less than 2 games experience. We've got Carlton, who may end up being the one guy who can slow - not contain - Mobley. And we've got Whaley, who absolutely cannot get into foul trouble, or we're going to have a really long night.

Start Sonogo against Mobley, pull him at two fouls (which might be within 5 minutes), then throw Carlton at him. I'd even throw Brown in to keep Whaley out of foul trouble.

Contain your excitement for one more day. The game is tomorrow night, not tonight. :)

Reaction Score

If we can't hunt up some 3's for Polley against a big lineup like this then something is really wrong.

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
Contain your excitement for one more day. The game is tomorrow night, not tonight. :)
AAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhh! Da------it!!! I was travelling and I lost track of the day of the week. The pain. The awful pain.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If we can't hunt up some 3's for Polley against a big lineup like this then something is really wrong.

Have to pass him the ball in a spot where he can get a clean shot off. That usually means either transition or inside outside passing. We haven't done either.

I am very interested to see what Hurley does tomorrow. I don't know how he starts our usual small ball lineup against these guys. Need Martin in at a minimum for one of the PGs. Sanogo and Jackson will be important as well.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I feel like some midrangers from Whaley could draw him out of the paint a little. Open the lane to a cutting Ajax who puts someone on a poster
Yup. We can kill them with back door cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger