Report: 2 More Scholarships for MBB | The Boneyard

Report: 2 More Scholarships for MBB

Horatio

Mumm -Ra was Justified
Reaction Score
Great opportunity to roster developmental guys or reclass guys that might want to enroll early the way Alex did.
Exactly or just to build a stronger practice squad. Some kids can play but don’t want any parts of playing in college, but can get a scholarship and a little pinch of NIL just to practice.

Reaction Score
Exactly or just to build a stronger practice squad. Some kids can play but don’t want any parts of playing in college, but can get a scholarship and a little pinch of NIL just to practice.

At the D1 level? I mean if I'm a D1 caliber basketball player and can go be the 14th-15th guy at UConn or potentially be a starter at mid/low-mid I'm going to take the scholly where I can play. Maybe I'm in the minority there. I'd think anyone capable of playing D1 would want to play. I wonder what the 15th guy on a D1 squad could expect NIL wise vs. what a mid-major could potentially produce.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Now I’d like to see the NCAA make 5th year of eligibility available for student athletes who graduate in 4 (or fewer) years in good academic standing (3.0 GPA+?).

5th year covid seniors, IMO, has upped the skill level and competitiveness of college basketball the last few years. The big knock on it was them taking scholarships away from incoming freshmen. Now those freshmen can still have their spots while letting more student athletes get a graduate degree on the schools dime.

Reaction Score
Not sure follow the extra 20 for football. How good players are 86 to 105 even on SEC/Big18 teams and how many G5 teams can have that many, and Title lX the girls sports to match, pay players and compete in NIL.

NCAA never does anything for benefit of student/athletes/employees so what am I missing.

Reaction Score
Football should be going the other way... reduce by 20. Just another nail in the G5 coffin
I can smell the oder of this rotten deal all the way out in the desert
The NCAA has chosen to be an enemy of competition as its apparently owned by the power teams .
Remember under title IX you have to equalize women’s sports so it a double whammy. This could require adding teams.
This is a case of not only rich getting richer and but gaining addition separation from the riff raff.
At a time when schools especially non P ones , are struggling to come up with a plan to meet insanely increasing costs this adds a huge burden.
When your ship is in danger of sinking you lighten the load not increase it.
I wonder how much money changed hands to get this passed they’ve been pushing for additional football scholarships.
for a time as the more D1 players they collect the less availability of talent for G5’s. It smells of antitrust .
We definitely need to sue the NCAA ,Discovery on this case should be interesting.
I really want to know who got paid off.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
softball pitchers can pitch every day more or less

baseball rosters raided by mlb every year, sb not so much
Yeah, but to remain title IX compliant, a school will need to find another women's sport to add scholarships to or not utilize the full available men's scholarships.

Reaction Score
Good to see baseball players start getting full scholarships. The landscape has changed with college baseball being a more popular choice both with top baseball players and with fans.

Reaction Score
Completely unnecessary to add 2...majority of programs don't even use the 13 anymore. In the transfer portal era it's really difficult to keep those back end scholarship guys for more than a year or two.

Reaction Score
On the football side, NIL had pretty much eliminated scholarship limits for the big money schools anyway. Between redshirting and the transfer portal, many players will spend two years at major programs and then move on when it appears they are surplus to requirements.

It will be interesting to see if basketball starts doing more of this. Bringing in older prep players to redshirt a season instead of pretending to be "high schoolers." If they work out, they stick around. If not, they move to a more appropriate school (like Providence, for example).

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Don't the women have 15? Anyone know if Geno ever uses all 15?
For the most part no, he does not. This coming season has has 14. I'm guessing with the injuries that have decimated the team over the past 3 years, he wishes he'd used more. There were games where the team basically had 7 or so healthy players to suit up...

He's also dipped his toe into the transfer portal much more frequently of late. Most of the transfers in the past were non-entities (didn't really contribute). But lately, the transfers have played key roles, similar to the men's teams under Hurley...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom