Replacing a Legend and Recovering | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Replacing a Legend and Recovering

Reaction Score
I love that you are trying to use real data to support the fact that they played better. They obviously did play better to anyone that is truly giving an impartial look at last night. But some folks won't acknowledge the improvement, even if they believe it to be true...
Some folks no longer care about or believe in that kind of one game improvement as a means to measure Ollie’s viability as a coach of UConn basketball going forward. If losing (again) to a mediocre Tulsa team is improvement and if that improvement is enough to keep you optimistic and satisfied, have at it. I’m not apologizing for being partial about a coach who has created a national embarassment with our program and who has gone 23-24 over the last year and a half. Your continued implication that everyone else is wrong or unfair or bad fans or needs their heads and hearts examined is bordering on delusional.

23 wins against 24 losses while playing in this god forsaken conference. Some folks won’t acknowledge reality.

Last edited:

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Not sure what is so amazing. The A10 is not as strong as they were before the Big East shakeup which has helped his overall record. He still hasn't had one season with single digit losses and the A10 has produced at least 2 teams with single digit losses every year since he's been there.
"Amazing" isn't the right word for what Hurley's done. "Consistently competent and well-coached" would be a better description of his year-over-year teams, and "able to address program shortfalls in a reliably meaningful way" would be a good way to describe his career arc.

He's a good coach who's done very good work with two previously very bad programs. It's not "amazing" but it is impressive.

Reaction Score
After two years, Kevin Ollie was the hottest young coach in America with as many national championships as Jim Boeheim or Tom Izzo. How's he doing after six?

We need somebody with a track record, not "potential."
This is not a place for “up and coming” coaches exceeding expectations of a chronically crappy program once out of 5 or so years. KO was a huge exception for obvious reasons.

Reaction Score
It feels like KO has asked a few people to come here and defend him. Good job "DMIL".

Ollie stinks at everything except motivating someone else's players.

Reaction Score
Last good out of bounds play Ollie ran was at the end of regulation in the first round of the tournament against St. Joe's.

You seriously think that is an appropriate response from Ollie after we threw the ball under the other team's basket to blow the game? How about explaining what we tried to run, that we had a timeout, that you never ever throw it under the other team's hoop?

Basically anything other than, "We've got to get open and fight for the ball."

There is never any ownership after any of the losses, just more and more nonsensical souundbites.

Reaction Score
You are doing Strawmaster's strawman routine. "All these legendary coaches that can't wait to come to Connecticut." People want a good and competent coach who has shown they can build and maintain good success wherever they are. Many names have been given.

Reaction Score
So, after several more examples, being able to follow a legend with a comparably successful coach is nearly impossible. More common is several coaches and up to a decade to regain an identity and be nationally relevant. No shame if Ollie gets let go and if Ollie's replacement isn't successful it doesn't mean letting Ollie go was the wrong choice. The bad hire of Diaco doesn't mean UConn should have kept PP longer. It just means they made consecutive crappy hires.

I have this fight all the time with Giants fans who are convinced that because McAdoo was a fraud, they should have kept Coughlin. Wrong wrong wrong.

Reaction Score
Straw man

The money to pay that coach is not there, not in the budget.
Lol how much are we paying KO again, pray tell? Oh wait go figure, top 10, like a future HOF coach. Do you even know how much he is getting paid now to drive us to the bottom of the conference of misfit programs? I’ll help you: $2.8 million per year. We have the money to find better.

For some reason I just feel people think that there are all of these legendary coaches that can't wait to come to Connecticut. It's just not the case.
Back to battling your straw man I see

Connecticut is a very good gig, attractive with the facilities and history but the money the elite coaches are getting now we are not going to pay.
See above

We are going to need to find that experienced upstart coach
Catch 22

if Ollie is not going to be our guy and this is going to be some trial and error. It's just not Automatic.
Well no kidding

North Carolina went through this after Dean Smith. They were fortunate to land a future Hall of Fame coach from Kansas (another Blue Blood program) named Roy Williams. I can count on one hand the number of elite coaches on this level and cannot think of any that would come to UCONN right now.
Lol then you don’t watch much basketball if you can’t name more than 5 great coaches

Nobody here is asking for a top 5 coach anyway though. All I want is someone who hasn’t been dominated CUSA or something for a year or two out of his five or so years of coaching experience. We need someone who is ready for UConn expectations.

The money just isn't there so we would need to target a different kind of coach.
You keep harping on this while KO bleeds the AD dry. We have the money to get just about anyone we want who will come here. We have the facilities, the recruiting grounds, the fan base desperate for resurgence.

Reaction Score
You are doing Strawmaster's strawman routine. "All these legendary coaches that can't wait to come to Connecticut." People want a good and competent coach who has shown they can build and maintain good success wherever they are. Many names have been given.
I think this is actually some (albeit dedicated) troll. Just joined Sunday, with way too much apparent self-hate for UConn to be a fan

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I have this fight all the time with Giants fans who are convinced that because McAdoo was a fraud, they should have kept Coughlin. Wrong wrong wrong.

Not to derail, but Coughlin wasn't actually the problem imo. Reese and company were.

Reaction Score
For the most part I get it. I’d call the KO situation sad vs disrespectful. No one likes to see a family member fail like this. It’s always hard to come home again and trying to do so comes with the risk that how you were remembered as a player may be replaced by how you are remembered as a coach. It’s why Bird refused to consider working for the Celtics (“I’d like to be guaranteed that I never have to pay for a beer in Boston for the rest of my life”) But KO isn’t the first guy to have to deal with that (Doherty at UNC, Drexler at Houston come immediately to mind). But he chose to take that risk and he’s being paid handsomely for it. UConn doesn’t owe KO anything. It’s been a mutually beneficial relationship that needs to come to an end (at least this chapter).

Reaction Score
For the most part I get it. I’d call the KO situation sad vs disrespectful. No one likes to see a family member fail like this. It’s always hard to come home again and trying to do so comes with the risk that how you were remembered as a player may be replaced by how you are remembered as a coach. It’s why Bird refused to consider working for the Celtics (“I’d like to be guaranteed that I never have to pay for a beer in Boston for the rest of my life”) But KO isn’t the first guy to have to deal with that (Doherty at UNC, Drexler at Houston come immediately to mind). But he chose to take that risk and he’s being paid handsomely for it. UConn doesn’t owe KO anything. It’s been a mutually beneficial relationship that needs to come to an end (at least this chapter).
Good post. He'll always be remembered for winning the championship (that was amazing) and for his great career as a player but the longer this continues on things will get nastier and those memories will be overtaken by us remembering him as the guy who ruined UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
Not to derail, but Coughlin wasn't actually the problem imo. Reese and company were.

The other fight I have with Giants fans is those who say that because Reese did a s****y job, Coughlin should have stayed.

Both Coughlin and Reese needed to go, and McAdoo was a s*****y hire.

Reaction Score
The other fight I have with Giants fans is those who say that because Reese did a s****y job, Coughlin should have stayed.

Both Coughlin and Reese needed to go, and McAdoo was a s*****y hire.

Tenspro if Dave hired you tomorrow as his consultant to pick a new coach what would be the very first thing you would do? I ask this question because of your amazing standing here as a poster. I base all my cred of a poster on the messages to like ratio. You have almost 1k more likes than posts. Now look at my numbers. I have way more messages than likes. I am the equivalent of Steve Bartman/Cubs fan who stole the WS from the Cubbies over 17 years ago. You on the other hand SIR are more analogous to a young John Wooden just taking the reins at UCLA over 50 years ago.

I obviously spend most of my time here trying to learn from posters with post/like ratio #'s like you. As a matter of fact I will personally relay your message to Dave. Kind of like a glorified errand boy. :)

Everyone has to start somewhere :)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when learning this fine game of basketball invented by the great James Naismith.

Respectfully Always
BDH

Reaction Score
Tenspro if Dave hired you tomorrow as his consultant to pick a new coach what would be the very first thing you would do? I ask this question because of your amazing standing here as a poster. I base all my cred of a poster on the messages to like ratio. You have almost 1k more likes than posts. Now look at my numbers. I have way more messages than likes. I am the equivalent of Steve Bartman/Cubs fan who stole the WS from the Cubbies over 17 years ago. You on the other hand SIR are more analogous to a young John Wooden just taking the reins at UCLA over 50 years ago.

I obviously spend most of my time here trying to learn from posters with post/like ratio #'s like you. As a matter of fact I will personally relay your message to Dave. Kind of like a glorified errand boy. :)

Everyone has to start somewhere. :)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When learning this fine game of basketball invented by the great James Naismith.

Respectfully Always
BDH
He does have a PhD after all and is very well read lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01