Rentschlerfield development update. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rentschlerfield development update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Further, well thought out, development of that property will only imrpove the Rent and game day atmosphere and options. To my eye there is plenty of space to manage this. Not sure I understand the concerns of some here.

Nothing better than tailgating at the Rent on a warm fall day. Good stuff....

Reaction Score
I wouldn't worry too much. With Connecticut's taxes, energy costs and anti-business climate, it's not likely there will be much development at the Rent.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
It worked so well with the Hartford Civic Center...
Everyone hacks on the mall, but really if you think the mall is the problem with the Civic Center and downtown Hartford in general... *shrug* Well I don't know what to tell you...

Reaction Score
God forbid East Hartford gets a chance to add to it's tax base.
Exactly!

That stadium is used by the football team 6, maybe 7 if we're lucky, times a year. There is a ton of land there. The blue lot, gray lot, and red lot, are not going anywhere. Any development will be away from the stadium. Until the parking lots are removed for a Timberland outlet, can we table the b*tching and moaning for a year or two?

Reaction Score
I wouldn't worry too much. With Connecticut's taxes, energy costs and anti-business climate, it's not likely there will be much development at the Rent.
You forgot our new governor and his willingness to throw hundreds of millions of taxpayers' dollars at developers on a whim.

Reaction Score
You forgot our new governor and his willingness to throw hundreds of millions of taxpayers' dollars at developers on a whim.

Let's hope he doesn't increase income tax another 1% and retro that back a few years to cover these expenses.

Reaction Score
Fearing the impact on 6/7 days of Tailgating is funny.

Fact is ... and we (WE) all have to realize ... that it has been a catastrophic series of events against the type of development that Matos is talking about. Best Case scenario for a UConn football fan is something like Patriot Place. A Village type environment: some residential & some retail (NO OUTLET). restaurants & stuff. Why? I really really believe that Land is far better located than Foxboro. And, now the money is flowing a little better into real estate.

Best Tailgating? It can only get better. I hope the AD is committed to blowing out Rentschler & growing this fanbase.

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score
The developer was responsible for and later removed from the Front Street project in Hartford. Remember we were getting an ESPNzone? I'm not holding my breath waiting for the promises to be fulfilled.

Actually, ESPN made clear from the beginning that their proposed venture on Front Street would NOT be an ESPNzone. ESPN never identified their specific plan for Front Street - a wise move on their part.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Fearing the impact on 6/7 days of Tailgating is funny.

Fact is ... and we (WE) all have to realize ... that it has been a catastrophic series of events against the type of development that Matos is talking about. Best Case scenario for a UConn football fan is something like Patriot Place. A Village type environment: some residential & some retail (NO OUTLET). restaurants & stuff. Why? I really really believe that Land is far better located than Foxboro. And, now the money is flowing a little better into real estate.

Best Tailgating? It can only get better. I hope the AD is committed to blowing out Rentschler & growing this fanbase.
Agreed. There is a bigger picture here, and it will have a minimal at best impact on tailgating. For those who have attended a game and tailgated at Georgia Tech or Cuse, or had to take a shuttle bus from your tailgate to the stadium at Rutgers or Army - even if we lose a little, we're still leaps and bounds above most others on the east coast. We want to build around the stadium and turn the Rent into a community on Saturdays and income property sun-fri.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Everyone hacks on the mall, but really if you think the mall is the problem with the Civic Center and downtown Hartford in general... *shrug* Well I don't know what to tell you...
Nah. While I don't think it was a well-conceived combo... I'll always hold nostalgia for attending Whalers games as a kid. There are a lot of other ways Hartford could stand to be improved. As for around Rentschler, I actually think more commercial development would be a good thing.

Reaction Score
Actually, the HCC combination of the mall/arena combo was ahead of it's time. We have one in DC and its very successful. It is the blueprint for many new arenas.

Reaction Score
Actually the article written is a little misleading. I saw the presentation the article refers to and Matos only gave one quick comparison to Clinton Crossings. He mostly compared it to Blue Back Square. He referred to the town center as "Blue Back Square on steroids". Say it would contain the same mix of living, dining and retail only five times larger. The intention is to have a lot of the employees from the technology based companies on site living in the town center

Here is a video of the presentation. It is kind of drawn out (I think about 30 minutes long)

http://easthartfordct.gov/Public_Documents/EastHartfordCT_WebDocs/MayorRentschlerUpdate.wmv

HuskyBarker

A Tiger is always Hungry!
Reaction Score
Who hates East Hartford?
Most people who don't live there. That's why the Cinema's closed down years ago. The only reason I've gone there is for UCONN Football. Also as far as a Blue Back Sq. type development, there is a big difference between West Hartford and East Hartford. WH., one of the most wealthy towns in CT, EH not so much.

Reaction Score
There really has to be a critical mass for these community economic development projects. You have all of these projects in the pipeline, but you still need to have the consumer base to support projects of this scale. The positive for this project is UTC and its proximity, but we see what can happen when the romantic expectations outweigh the actual desirability (front street in Hartford).

Just need a state full of millionaires with a desire to spend spend spend....I'm sure we boneyarders will make up the millionaire club. Shall we begin by lighting our fancy cigars with a stack of Benjamin's? (disclaimer: the thoughts and opinions expressed by PolisHusky DO reflect the opinions of all members of this message board....deal with it.)

Reaction Score
Most people who don't live there. That's why the Cinema's closed down years ago. The only reason I've gone there is for UCONN Football. Also as far as a Blue Back Sq. type development, there is a big difference between West Hartford and East Hartford. WH., one of the most wealthy towns in CT, EH not so much.

The cinema closed down because the one in Manchester is nicer and closer to more commercial properties. Manchester essentially became a commercial mecca, destroying East Hartford's commercial development. And people from the Greater Hartford area have plenty of options for movie theaters (Hartford, West Hartford, Plainville, etc.)

Reaction Score
There's so much wrong with this type of thinking I'm not sure where to start.

You think Cabela's was put there because of the EH median income? Or was it the location and ease of access? An outlet mall with retail and restaurants that supplement the other development isn't for EH residents alone. Tolland, Glastonbury, Ellington, Windsor, South Windsor, and other area towns would all be considered part of the market for the businesses. Blue Back is supported by the WH residents as well as the surrounding towns. That's why they needed a couple parking garages.

Instead of allowing E. Hartford to continue dying, eventually eating up more and more taxpayer money through state aid and other spending programs, major projects that bring jobs to the area are needed. Perhaps with more local employment opportunities, and an increased grand list, E. Hartford can afford to improve it's schools, it's parks, etc, etc.

E. Hartford isn't going to become a nice town because we have excellent tailgating 6 days a year.

Reaction Score
Not sure what Blue Back is but if it's anything like Broke Back, count me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom