Rentschler Stadium expansion | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Rentschler Stadium expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Or where the real money will come from? Would love to see it happen just want a rational, educated, realistic explanation how to pay for it?

If you read the first (original) post by Pudge, he explains it much better than I ever could. I know Rutgers raised most of their funding for their stadium expansion through bonds. I would say that's the approach to take.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
When the Rent was being built there were plenty of articles about expandibility of the facility and the footings being in place (anything from 52k-58k had been published at various times). This expansion was an additional deck opposite the club seats/suites.

A little more than a month ago someone told me something that took me by surprise, that there are private donors willing to fund additional seats in both end zones (which from appearances should be anywhere from 10k-14k seats) and a new video screen (nearly twice the size of the current one, mostly due to additional width). I was quite skeptical at first, asked a friend who is quite well connected who confirmed this (and later found out that the person who told me the initial information has a distant relative who is very high on the list of UConn insiders).

There is (as some have pointed out, Coach Cap most recently) an agreement with East Hartford on limiting what the ultimate capacity will be (I believe ~60k) but this is something that I am sure can be negotiated ($$$) and if anyone has seen many college stadiums, they know that there are seldom limits to capacity if you are willing to build up enough (look at Kyle Field for example). By wrapping an entire third deck from pressbox, around the field to the other side of the press box (obviously filling in seats above the student section and the entire opposite end zone), we could conceivably add ~50k-55k seats. I am not saying that we should consider this as a goal or that we ever would need anything above the low 70's (and that would be at least a generation away). What I am saying is that eventual capacity of the Rent would only be a problem if we allow it to be a problem as the solution is out there. We would only need to build the fan base enough to warrant this and be willing (as a football program & university) to take the steps ($$$ to East Hartford) to allow it to happen.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
When the Rent was being built there were plenty of articles about expandibility of the facility and the footings being in place (anything from 52k-58k had been published at various times). This expansion was an additional deck opposite the club seats/suites.

A little more than a month ago someone told me something that took me by surprise, that there are private donors willing to fund additional seats in both end zones (which from appearances should be anywhere from 10k-14k seats) and a new video screen (nearly twice the size of the current one, mostly due to additional width). I was quite skeptical at first, asked a friend who is quite well connected who confirmed this (and later found out that the person who told me the initial information has a distant relative who is very high on the list of UConn insiders).

There is (as some have pointed out, Coach Cap most recently) an agreement with East Hartford on limiting what the ultimate capacity will be (I believe ~60k) but this is something that I am sure can be negotiates ($$$) and if anyone has seen many college stadiums, they know that there are seldom limits to capacity if you are willing to build up enough (look at Kyle Field for example). By wrapping an entire third deck from pressbox, around the field to the other side of the press box (obviously filling in seats above the student section and the entire opposite end zone), we could conceivably add ~50k-55k seats. I am not saying that we should consider this as a goal or that we ever would need anything above the low 70's (and that would be at least a generation away). What I am saying is that eventual capacity of the Rent would only be a problem if we allow it to be a problem as the solution is out there. We would only need to build the fan base enough to warrant this and be willing (as a football program & university) to take the steps ($$$ to East Hartford) to allow it to happen.
Your insider have a time frame for when this could happen?

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Your insider have a time frame for when this could happen?
I was told (by both mentioned in my post) that if they were happy with the product on the field it would have been done already.

I imagine that a new coach would go a long way in getting this accomplished.

Reaction Score
If you read the first (original) post by Pudge, he explains it much better than I ever could. I know Rutgers raised most of their funding for their stadium expansion through bonds. I would say that's the approach to take.

Okay - went back 11 pages...

Pudge - your feelings based on your expertise? How would the bond market look now as opposed to years ago and with the issues that the State is having with credit ratings?

Well outside by area of expertise, but if you're having an MI, I'd be happy to weigh in in exchange.

Reaction Score
I was told (by both mentioned in my post) that if they were happy with the product on the field it would have been done already.

I imagine that a new coach would go a long way in getting this accomplished.

Always a freaking catch...

Reaction Score
I have read the original legislation on the Public Authority that initiated the financing of Rentschler Stadium (as have a few others on this board ... Excalibur). And, I have a background that understands how Public Authority financing happens & a brother who is a Staff Attorney on the legislative committee that oversees Public Authorities in New York state.

Rentschler's expansion is not dependant on Donations from Alumni, friends and state business. As Robert Moses proved throughout the last centure, Public Authorities are powerful entities. Rentschler, I believe, has far exceeded the Demand & Revenue projections in the original legislation through the Connecticut assembly/senate. Interest rates are remarkably, historically low; relative to when the deal was originally done. So ... you have a Cash Flow (after Debt Service) far higher for those bonds than originally floated. The Credit of those Bonds, to my understanding, are outside those of the State of CT. (might be rated higher) There is plenty of capacity to re-cast the original bond offering & do the expansion.

It does not effect the hard times faced internally in the State budget.

This is a far better structure than we saw at Rutgers.

So ... I believe that we should have expanded in the great Capital raising in the last cycle. I believe that this was a huge mistake by Jeff Hathaway and others to not be in that market then. (both Tom Jurich & Tim Pernetti of Rutgers found their way to taking advantage of a good money raising market).

We could do this today. The Obvious Problem is Public Perception. You can say that we don't have the demand needed to have gone to 55,000. I would respond that the idea that we would draw 40,000 to the Rent in 2000 was a far more speculative feasibility study.

Attack at will.
If they cut the ticket costs, and parking costs (or had mass transit available), to get enough people there to fill the (expanded) place, it would be worth it down the road. How about a light rail from the Farmington area to Storrs? Passing right next to the Rent (and the XL Center). Now you'd be serious.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
New Bitmap Image.jpg

red-3rd deck. it needs to wrap around from the press to the edge of the other side. leave the scoreboard area how it is.
blue-seats, blue seats. it will take some # wise away but that doesn't matter. and fwiw make the bleachers all blue, paint them. that will help send the blue message over time.

band-in the corner between blue seats and student section on press side until steudent section one day grows enough to take the bleachers from blue seats to blue seats size wise in that endzone.

thats 60k. big enough for any team and something we have goal wise to fill long term.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
View attachment 1848

red-3rd deck. it needs to wrap around from the press to the edge of the other side. leave the scoreboard area how it is.
blue-seats, blue seats. it will take some # wise away but that doesn't matter. and fwiw make the bleachers all blue, paint them. that will help send the blue message over time.

band-in the corner between blue seats and student section on press side until steudent section one day grows enough to take the bleachers from blue seats to blue seats size wise in that endzone.

thats 60k. big enough for any team and something we have goal wise to fill long term.

Can you knock out our 1983 tube TV and put in a state of the art HD scoreboard that would, in effect, close up that side of the stadium and make those frustrating socialites sit in their seats and support the team?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
View attachment 1848

That's what it's supposed to be.

If it has to be done in sections, the third deck opposite the suites will be done first and then enclosing the end zone above the student section is next.

Reaction Score

There is (as some have pointed out, Coach Cap most recently) an agreement with East Hartford on limiting what the ultimate capacity will be (I believe ~60k) but this is something that I am sure can be negotiated ($$$) and if anyone has seen many college stadiums, they know that there are seldom limits to capacity if you are willing to build up enough (look at Kyle Field for example). By wrapping an entire third deck from pressbox, around the field to the other side of the press box (obviously filling in seats above the student section and the entire opposite end zone), we could conceivably add ~50k-55k seats. I am not saying that we should consider this as a goal or that we ever would need anything above the low 70's (and that would be at least a generation away). What I am saying is that eventual capacity of the Rent would only be a problem if we allow it to be a problem as the solution is out there. We would only need to build the fan base enough to warrant this and be willing (as a football program & university) to take the steps ($$$ to East Hartford) to allow it to happen.

Two words for East Hartford (Eminant Domain). The stadium needs to be expanded period. Either embrace East Hartford or step aside your choice. A newly expanded Rent more visible to passersby would perhaps be the nicest architectural structure in that town. Expand the stadium. Get it done and get it done now.

Reaction Score
Stadium expansion??? Just do it. Hell, that's half the battle with all this conference realignment and snubs of UConn. Just get it done. Every other stinking program can get their stadiums expanded. Rutgers? We laugh at them,but the got it done. Louisville? Got it done. BCU's stadium? Been expanded. Just stop with the bureaucratic red tape/East Hartford agreement/politico crap and JUST DO IT.

Same deal with the Head Coach. You know, I know, everyone on this board knows, and pretty much everyone at Rentschler, save for Mrs Pasqualoni, knows the man is suffocating this program. Get rid of him. Accept the fact that is was not the right hire from the get go. Hell, apologize for not recognizing it at the time and setting the man up for an embarrasssing run. Just make it happen. Let's start behaving like the Big Programs. Auburn, two years removed from a National Championship, got rid of their coach. Stop with the excuses.

Reaction Score
Two words for East Hartford (Eminant Domain). The stadium needs to be expanded period. Either embrace East Hartford or step aside your choice. A newly expanded Rent more visible to passersby would perhaps be the nicest architectural structure in that town. Expand the stadium. Get it done and get it done now.
For the rent to be the nicest structure it would need a serious facelift as well as expansion. The state will do it on the cheap unless they get big donation $. You will see precast stadium structure similar to what's there now on the cheap. Throw in additional bathrooms and concessions as well. This is probably already designed and prepared for. Just need to fund, contract and construct. The original structure was built for 91.2 million. We can probably expand for 40-50.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Even if the limit of EH is a 60k stadium, that would be perfectly fine for any expansion purposes (and in fact, I would be hesitant to go bigger). If you look at the B1G, since they would care more about stadium size than the ACC, here is what a 60k stadium would do for you:

1) You would have a bigger stadium than: Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota
2) You would have an equal sized stadium to: Illinois, Purdue

Essentially, 60k puts you right at about the middle of the pack for the B1G. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Conference

I don't see the East Hartford limit of 60k being a problem that would require solving; at least not in the near future anyways. Then the question is, "Can we grow the fanbase and product to fill it?" That is the question that the other conferences are asking, and I hope the answer is yes...

Reaction Score
If we add an upperdeck, put a roof over it so the fair weather fans show up

Luxury-Modern-Design-In-Free-State-Stadium-For-World-Cup-2010-simple-roof-stadium-.jpg

Reaction Score

Luxury-Modern-Design-In-Free-State-Stadium-For-World-Cup-2010-simple-roof-stadium-.jpg

Any stadium expansion has to be properly timed to insure that new seats have a reasonable chance of drawing fannies. To be honest, I've seen little to nothing that justifies major expansion; at least nothing I can/could sell. And, I used to be pretty good at getting financial institutions to buy expensive stuff or services. A large expenditure can not have, as it's only justification, a knee-jerk reaction to the ACC thing or some blue bird feeling that UCONN might be next.

What could probably be sold, to the State, is pre-approved funding based on an a open/transparent "RFQ" process that provides both construction vendor and price; with the proviso that construction could only begin when/if UCONN moved to one of the anointed conferences. It could also be sold to those doing evaluations for the conferences.

Nothing is more depressing than a large, under-utilized facility; whether it be a stadium, factory or office building, or a once-great theater. The symbolism evokes grey thoughts of unfulfilled expectations, hopes and dreams--------the last thing UCONN needs, right now.

Reaction Score
Any stadium expansion has to be properly timed to insure that new seats have a reasonable chance of drawing fannies. To be honest, I've seen little to nothing that justifies major expansion; at least nothing I can/could sell. And, I used to be pretty good at getting financial institutions to buy expensive stuff or services. A large expenditure can not have, as it's only justification, a knee-jerk reaction to the ACC thing or some blue bird feeling that UCONN might be next.

What could probably be sold, to the State, is pre-approved funding based on an a open/transparent "RFQ" process that provides both construction vendor and price; with the proviso that construction could only begin when/if UCONN moved to one of the anointed conferences. It could also be sold to those doing evaluations for the conferences.

Nothing is more depressing than a large, under-utilized facility; whether it be a stadium, factory or office building, or a once-great theater. The symbolism evokes grey thoughts of unfulfilled expectations, hopes and dreams--------the last thing UCONN needs, right now.
If you build it they will come.

I think that if we got into a major football conference the paradigm would shift. The momentum would be great if we began to play storied programs on a routine basis.

There are not many USF, Cincinnati or even Rutgers or Cuse fans in this area. There are tons of Michigan, Notre Dame, etc. in this area or in NYC. Tons of BC fans in this area (choke choke).

I said this in another post. Ohio State not coming to the Rent unless something happens to the facility - or some commitment.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Even if the limit of EH is a 60k stadium, that would be perfectly fine for any expansion purposes (and in fact, I would be hesitant to go bigger). If you look at the B1G, since they would care more about stadium size than the ACC, here is what a 60k stadium would do for you:

1) You would have a bigger stadium than: Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota
2) You would have an equal sized stadium to: Illinois, Purdue

Essentially, 60k puts you right at about the middle of the pack for the B1G. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Conference

I don't see the East Hartford limit of 60k being a problem that would require solving; at least not in the near future anyways. Then the question is, "Can we grow the fanbase and product to fill it?" That is the question that the other conferences are asking, and I hope the answer is yes...

This! This more than any of my laundry list of pet peeves over the past decade is what pisses me off about JH and his lack of vision, leadership, caring, basically lack of everything we needed.

I live in Stamford and worked in Westchester for more than a decade (until a couple of years ago when I took a job in Stamford) and I can attest to the limited penetration (from a marketing, not a Husky Dan perspective) the product has down here (and how easy Westchester is for the taking). At our best (when we did fill the Rent regularly) we still could have doubled our fan base if we tried to reach the people down here. It will take a bit of time and a bit of effort but from where we are today, we can get back to our highest season ticket base (I believe ~ 30k) within two years with added excitement in the program and some marketing to those who were season ticket holders. Those fans aside, we could increase our season ticket base by 10k-12k in lower Fairfield county alone if we marketed our program down here close to the way Rutgers has throughout New Jersey for the past dozen years. I believe that an additional 10k-12k throughout the remainder of the state would be possible and a number close to this in bordering counties from the three states that surround us (which in all cases would be a more reasonable drive than many who go to games at their state schools in other parts of the country have to deal with). I cannot begin to tell you how angry I've been for years that we haven't attempted to do this and there was a few short years ago plenty to build from. Hathaway blew so much marketing/promotional capital is it mind boggling.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score

How do we decoy all the empty seats because the way I see it can't imagine place is gonna be filled for Tulane& Ecu with current compacity

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
With attendance declining none of this is happening. CTs demographics favor a continuing decline without outreach. This is discretionary income and there's simply little enthusiasm as habits change. There's less community. Less reason to travel. The novelty is done. People have new playthings. The state is getting older.

The Boomers 55 and over are 5.7% Hispanic. The under 35s are over 20% Hispanic and the under 5s are over 25% Hispanic. The wealth contrast between the Boomer Blue Hairs and under 35 Hispanics? Substantial differences.

Outreach is only part of the puzzle. Jobs and income growth are stagnant. One of these days UConn will fail to put 30,000 in the Rent

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
JUST WIN.........
Even that's not gonna help a weak schedule need competitive teams to fill the place not Umass,Rhode island,and any other junk teams they can find,seems that all the competition went south.

Reaction Score
What a bunch of nattering nabob whiners. Rutgers, with paper clip & staples, went for it. Don't go crying about our opponents when you act like you're spending your last nickels.

This is Bigtime sports. Our Fanbase - BB & FB - is sucking. Wrong timing for this. We - I mean this with all due respect - deserve where we are.

Maybe we continue with good hoop games & 6-9 decent FB games yearly. This attitude is BS. You have to go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom