Reninder: Recruiting | The Boneyard

Reninder: Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you’re an FBS team you are not supposed to recruit FCS players.

If you are then your recruiting is broken.

The longer Randy stays here, the deeper the hole gets.

This is why the team is so bad. We’re a bad FCS team with a few more scholarships.You are what you eat.

Reaction Score
No slight to the young man intended, but it is as though we are supposed to be impressed by the recruit's location (Georgia, football country) rather than his actual accomplishments and potential.

Reaction Score
If you’re an FBS team you are not supposed to recruit FCS players.

If you are then your recruiting is broken.

The longer Randy stays here, the deeper the hole gets.

This is why the team is so bad. We’re a bad FCS team with a few more scholarships.You are what you eat.

This is tired old crap. We shouldn't have any doubt of Edsall's evaluative prowess. He has often found kids without wide offer lists. And many played in the NFL or became solid college football players.

Today's issue is not that. And for you to whine ... shows me that you are clueless. Today's immediate issue is a crisis of overall direction without much success. I would simply hire Edsall to go evaluate 200 kids if that was an option. It is the other things.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This is tired old crap. We shouldn't have any doubt of Edsall's evaluative prowess. He has often found kids without wide offer lists. And many played in the NFL or became solid college football players.

Today's issue is not that. And for you to whine ... shows me that you are clueless. Today's immediate issue is a crisis of overall direction without much success. I would simply hire Edsall to go evaluate 200 kids if that was an option. It is the other things.

How’s that been working out the past couple of years? Have you watched any games?

Reaction Score

The problem with this thinking is that it doesn't take into account that the recruiting game has changed and he hasn't. In the mid 2000's you could still find "hidden gems" by tapping in to your network of HS coaches who you had relationships with. So and so HS coach would tip off an area recruiter to check out an underrated recruit. To his credit Randy hit on a lot of these kids. This still happens but not to the same level of quality.

The truth is if you can play or if you project physically to the next level college coaches know about you. The prominence of social media, explosion of recruiting sites, and growth of athlete driven sites like Hudl and Max Preps get film out into the market. Back in 09 Uconn was selling being a part of a BCS Conference with a guaranteed slot in a NY6 Game. They played in the Fiesta Bowl with an 8-4 Record which seems unbelievable now. What are they selling today? A chance to be the road team against ACC and SEC Schools? A 12 game schedule? FFS aim higher.

This staff better wake up and realize that when the entire class of kids that you recruit have their best offers being FCS and low level G5 Programs that is how your team is going to perform. LOL at the idea that S&C Programs and Red shirting is some secret to success. Go get talent. Jucos, Portal Transfers, and a few recruiting wins against mid to high level G5 and low level P5 Teams. It is the only way this mess gets fixed.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
The problem with this thinking is that it doesn't take into account that the recruiting game has changed and he hasn't. In the mid 2000's you could still find "hidden gems" by tapping in to your network of HS coaches who you had relationships with. So and so HS coach would tip off an area recruiter to check out an underrated recruit. To his credit Randy hit on a lot of these kids. This still happens but not to the same level of quality.

The truth is if you can play or if you project physically to the next level college coaches know about you. The prominence of social media, explosion of recruiting sites, and growth of athlete driven sites like Hudl and Max Preps get film out into the market. Back in 09 Uconn was selling being a part of a BCS Conference with a guaranteed slot in a NY6 Game. They played in the Fiesta Bowl with an 8-4 Record which seems unbelievable. What are they selling now? A chance to be the road team against ACC and SEC Schools? This staff better wake up and realize that when the entire class of kids that you recruit have their best offers being FCS and low level G5 Programs that is how your team is going to perform. LOL at the idea that S&C Programs and Redshirting is some secret to success. Go get talent. Jucos, Portal Transfers, and a few recruiting wins against mid to high level G5 and low level P5 Teams. It is the only way this mess gets fixed.

You’re wasting your time. Pudge strongly believes in his own infallibility, and doesn’t take any information to the contrary well.

Reaction Score
Reminder: Don't start stupid threads.

There are numerous threads complaining about the coach. This was totally unnecessary and the timing of it (coming right after we welcome a new recruit) stinks quite frankly.

Thread should be deleted IMO.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Many of you - seems young guys - think you can just SELL. Like a charismatic personality is going to make 3 & 4 & 5 stars come to UConn

that’s bogus

We ARE always going to be a Development program. Dependent on getting the Northeast guys that need to be coached & boring S&C for awhile. Raw diamonds from GA & FL. And frankly that’s where Temple & Buffalo are as well.

The best some hotshot new guy brings will be more years. I’m good with a new coach. But you’re delusional thinking some new magic is coming.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Many of you - seems young guys - think you can just SELL. Like a charismatic personality is going to make 3 & 4 & 5 stars come to UConn

that’s bogus

We ARE always going to be a Development program. Dependent on getting the Northeast guys that need to be coached & boring S&C for awhile. Raw diamonds from GA & FL. And frankly that’s where Temple & Buffalo are as well.

The best some hotshot new guy brings will be more years. I’m good with a new coach. But you’re delusional thinking some new magic is coming.

Shouldn’t a grown man know better than to move the goalposts this blatantly?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My catch 22 is none of us know if these transfers will succeed outside of UConn. They may have talent which wasn't utilized. Or, they may have been stretch recruits by Bobby red pants. Only time will tell.

We do know RE is capable of coaching up 2-3 star kids to compete. But that is always a lagging indicator. So, these new recruits may be what he needs. Or, they may be over their head stretch recruits.

And this is why I drink.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
@Pudge The counter argument is not about recruiting 4 and 5 stars, its about recruiting three stars that actually have G5 and even P5 offers. Its that simple.

I haven't done exhaustive research, maybe @UConnJim will post something since he has shown a willingness to do some digging around here, but so far in the Edsall 2.0 era you haven't seen much on the dirty diamond front. Yeah, I know we have two years to go in order to have more juniors/seniors, but the early results already suggest strongly that dirty diamonds aren't as plentiful today as in the 2000s. The access to film, the awareness of HS coaches, the awareness of the kids themselves is just so much more. I'm sure Randy would say his 2.0 staff has to look at 4x as many kids as he did in the 1.0 era just because the competition to find talent is dialed up. When the college coaches arent turning over stones, the prep schools are looking for PG talent to fill their rosters and elevate their status.

Last edited:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
@Pudge The counter argument is not about recruiting 4 and 5 stars, its about recruiting three stars that actually have G5 and even P5 offers. Its that simple.

I haven't done exhaustive research, maybe @UConnJim will post something since he has shown a willingness to do some digging around here, but so far in the Edsall 2.0 era you haven't seen much on the dirty diamond front. Yeah, I know we have two years to go in order to have more juniors/seniors, but the early results already suggest strongly that dirty diamonds aren't as plentiful today as in the 2000s. The access to film, the awareness of HS coaches, the awareness of the kids themselves is just so much more. I'm sure Randy would say his 2.0 staff has to look at 4x as many kids as he did in the 1.0 era just because the competition to find talent is dialed up. When the college coaches arent turning over stones, the prep schools are looking for PG talent.
This. Randy 2.0 can’t hold a candle to Randy 1.0. We used to complain about not getting 4 star kids but we’d beat out Cuse and Rutgers and BC for guys. Now... the difference is very stark. This idea that Randy 2.0 is going to make magic improvements with kids who can’t get any other looks isn’t remotely based in reality.

Reaction Score
No slight to the young man intended, but it is as though we are supposed to be impressed by the recruit's location (Georgia, football country) rather than his actual accomplishments and potential.

Go back to sleep and rest your brain. You're an idiot.

Reaction Score
The Big East teams were regularly last in recruiting rankings. It’s not like he didn’t recruit Stephan Diggs. They recruit what they can realistically get. Past identity has been toughness, hard hitting and speed. Better than wasting time on Mincah Fitzpatrick then filling with slow 6’5 230lbs. nice guys.

Reaction Score

No Pudge. This isn’t Randy 1.0 redux. Save your pompous bloviating for whoever still listens to you

I don’t need to post an argument because the record speaks for itself.

We almost lost to an FCS team that didn’t even have the full complement of FCS scholarships and that team only won a single game.

That’s because Edsall and Diaco have made this program into an FCS team. Edsall 1.0 was coaching up 2-3 star kids.

Edsall 2.0 is coaching up FCS kids and kids that wouldn’t play anything but Special Teams in any FBS program worth damn.

At this point you are detrimental to UConn Football and you should focus more on expanding Albany’s concentric circles.

Reaction Score
Reminder: Don't start stupid threads.

There are numerous threads complaining about the coach. This was totally unnecessary and the timing of it (coming right after we welcome a new recruit) stinks quite frankly.

Thread should be deleted IMO.

^^^^^^^^

Reminder, this is your brain on drugs.

Reaction Score
^^^^^^^^

Reminder, this is your brain on drugs.

You're premise for this thread is that we should recruit good players who can help us win and avoid players that can't help us win. Very insightful! You should consider writing a book on recruiting.

Reaction Score

The truth is if you can play or if you project physically to the next level college coaches know about you. The prominence of social media, explosion of recruiting sites, and growth of athlete driven sites like Hudl and Max Preps get film out into the market. Back in 09 Uconn was selling being a part of a BCS Conference with a guaranteed slot in a NY6 Game. They played in the Fiesta Bowl with an 8-4 Record which seems unbelievable now. What are they selling today? A chance to be the road team against ACC and SEC Schools? A 12 game schedule? FFS aim higher.

This staff better wake up and realize that when the entire class of kids that you recruit have their best offers being FCS and low level G5 Programs that is how your team is going to perform. LOL at the idea that S&C Programs and Red shirting is some secret to success. Go get talent. Jucos, Portal Transfers, and a few recruiting wins against mid to high level G5 and low level P5 Teams. It is the only way this mess gets fixed.

This post is right on the money. Can't compete at FBS level with mid - level FCS players.

Reaction Score
You're premise for this thread is that we should recruit good players who can help us win and avoid players that can't help us win. Very insightful! You should consider writing a book on recruiting.

My posts are Chinese water torture for nitwits like you.

This is the length I will go to in order to get the message to penetrate your dense wooden skull.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom