Reminder - NO POLITICS | The Boneyard

Reminder - NO POLITICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

JS

Reaction Score
Sometimes sports and politics overlap.
Where that's the case (e.g. political demonstrations by athletes) the resulting threads aren't really about sports and don't last long.

Even people who claim political neutrality for their posts in such threads are, as soon evidenced by the reaction of others, mistaken. The "others" sense nuance and often object to the very presence of the thread or to its linked origin.

We're strict on this, based on long experience with outcomes.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yes, sports and politics do sometimes overlap but that situation isn’t what prompted my post. Some people dragged politics into a thread to make a point.

And, addressing myself to everyone - don’t call people snowflakes.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It appears the message didn’t sink in the first time.

NO POLITICS

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Yes, sports and politics do sometimes overlap but that situation isn’t what prompted my post. Some people dragged politics into a thread to make a point.

Can we call people Baby Boomers, Gen X, or Millennials? I may be naive (for someone in their 60s), but is snowflakes a derogatory term? I have only known this word as a generation reference, as are those others.

I only ask because I have used that word in past posts.

JS

Reaction Score
Can we call people Baby Boomers, Gen X, or Millennials?

Don't know how this would be political. Those are generational references far as I know.

I may be naive (for someone in their 60s), but is snowflakes a derogatory term?

Generally refers to an overly sensitive or easily offended person. Has been used politically, but would depend on the context.

Reaction Score

Unless, I trust, they actually live in Snowflake, a Navajo County, Arizona town named for its founders, Erastus Snow and William Jordan Flake.

Reaction Score
I guess I need to be educated here....if snowflake is considered a political label, then what is the similar term for a the polar opposite?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
My only experience with the term "snowflake" (notwithstanding my upbringing in Connecticut with many winters of snowflakes making up snowstorms), came from the movie The Blind Side where one of the black guys refers to Sandra Bullock's character as "Snowflake". But Sandra's character was anything BUT sensitive and easily offended. She was basically just a bad ass! (Great movie too - love the Michael Oher story)...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Can we call people Baby Boomers, Gen X, or Millennials? I may be naive (for someone in their 60s), but is snowflakes a derogatory term? I have only known this word as a generation reference, as are those others.

I only ask because I have used that word in past posts.
Snowflake (slang) - Wikipedia

See the politicized reference

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score

Ok, I sorta understand.
All I meant before was that to me, and some contributors to Wikipedia, was that a snowflake was the reference for the generation born in the 2000s, much like us Baby Boomers with birth years ranging from the early-to-mid 1940s and ending birth years ranging from 1960 to 1964.

I am not trying to offend anyone.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Politics is the last resort for both scoundrels and the incompetent. As with religion the minute you start talking about them you're wrong. I don't come to sports forums to talk about either. If anyone wants to overindulge, that's what inboxes are for.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score

Wikipedia failed to include yet another early use. If I remember rightly, Denzel Washington addresses Andre Braugher as "Snowflake" in the 1986 film "Glory." This film by Freddie Fields expands the snowflake epithet into a highly relevant sub-plot.

The film is easily in my top ten.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
To bring the thread back on topic - no politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics