Remembering how great Caroline can be | The Boneyard

Remembering how great Caroline can be

Reaction Score
I rewatched a couple games from the 2021-22 season — thank you so much @MJL243 — and was reminded of how great Caroline is. This was the freshman season for her and Azzi. Paige was i jures for most of the season and the freshmen had to pick up the slack. Evina brought much needed leadership, and Christyn supplied reliable intensity. Liv and Dorka and Aaliyah held the frontcourt steady.

And Caroline and Azzi took turns supplying the offensive firepower. A nail biter against DePaul came down to a game winner on a set play for Caroline which she sank cool as a cucumber. A game against Creighton that she dominated on defense as well as offense.m — 17 pts, 5 rebounds 3 blocks and 2 steals. In this early stretch of the season she carried the team on offense.

We tend to think of her as fragile because of the concussions. But if she can fully recover and put those behind her, she is a really tough smart competitor. She leaves me in awe. Watch some of these games and see if you feel the same way.

Reaction Score
Azzi on that game winning shot: “I wasn’t surprised. I knew she was going to do something great with the ball. That’s just Caroline. She’s amazing.”

Meghan Culmo: “What a veteran play by the freshman.”

This is who we want back. She stepped up and carried that team during a difficult stretch of the season. She is a tough-minded competitor. She faded a bit later in the season, playing through pain as an old hip injury flared up and she had surgery after the season.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We are not speculating on Caroline’s current or future health status.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
For her sake as much as anything, c'mon Caroline!

I Hope Please GIF

Reaction Score
One thing that really sticks in my mind -- besides the the 3 pointers, and the shot blocking, and the fact that she (and Azzi) were the only ones not afflicted with layup-itis that season -- is the connection with Dorka, who would fire these high passes into Caroline in the lane or on a back cut. The ball would be out of reach of everyone, but Caroline would go up and get it with one hand, gather herself, and score. She has good hands!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Another of Caroline's unremembered attributes is that she is a strong rebounder, with leaping ability, hands, and an ability to move opponents while not being moved herself.

Between her, Sarah, Jana, and bench minutes from Ice and Ayanna, it should be possible to play teams like South Carolina and Texas without having to concede a 15-rebound deficit in the box score.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom