Remember when we wondered how they would replace Moore's scoring? | The Boneyard

Remember when we wondered how they would replace Moore's scoring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And rebounding for that matter.

Against a TALL Stanford team in only her 3rd game, Lewis scored 25 points and had 8 rebounds.

Question answered.
Beautiful to behold but we need more balanced scoring.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I think the entire starting lineup was suffering from a bad case of adrenaline poisoning. They were about 10% ahead of themselves the entire first half. Very likely this game will serve to get that out of their systems. It is not likely that the entire non-Bria starting lineup will miss their first 20 shots ever again.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
In the excitement of the here-and-now, it's easy to forget that it was KML who clanged and clunked in this season's first game and Tiff who shone. The beauty is that we have several scorers, and it will be a gas to see what combo is on at any give time.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maya was a fabulous player and is missed.

But if she has to leave, what one player do you want to be coming in the following year? The one with virtually the same resume. The one now wearing #23.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
You forgot the last ND game already?
Of course not. Is that what you were thinking about after this game? Totally different.

This wasn't one person shooting and everyone else watching.

ND game shots - Moore - 30, Hartley - 10, Hayes - 7, Faris - 6, Dolson - 4.
Last night shots - KML - 17, Hartley - 16, Hayes - 15, Doty - 10, Dolson - 5, Faris - 5.

ND game points - Moore - 36, Hartley - 10, Dolson - 7, Faris - 4, Hayes - 4.
Last night points - KML - 25, Hartley - 19, Hayes - 9, Dolson - 9, Doty - 6.

I don't see the comparison.

Reaction Score
I see your point, and yes everyone was shooting but only two players were scoring for well more than half the game. Yes, finally Hayes, Dolson and Doty did pick up some points later in the game but it took a lot of shots, not very efficient woouldn't you say?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Efficiency has only one measure: winning.

No style points. No moral victories. If someone named Bird or Jordan or Taurasi or Moore light it up and you win, it's efficient. If you have nice balanced scoring among everyone who plays and you lose, that's inefficient.

And it works both ways. Win as a team, lose as a team. Total score is the only payoff, by whatever means gets you there.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Why?

Cause sooner or later there's going to be 6 defenders on Lewis, 3 on Hartley and one on Dolson. Nobody will guard Faris and the water boy/girl will have both Hayes and Doty.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
A constant refrain from Geno this year has been 'this TEAM can really shoot'. But what the hell does he know.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I see your point, and yes everyone was shooting but only two players were scoring for well more than half the game. Yes, finally Hayes, Dolson and Doty did pick up some points later in the game but it took a lot of shots, not very efficient woouldn't you say?
Well, thankfully they play 40 minutes, so I'm not a big fan of analyzing games by the half.
Although it certainly tells a story sometimes.r
My point is about the difference between the ND game and this game in regards to scoring. And while it would have been nice to have others score more, it was more of a product of missing shots and not about them not sharing the ball.

I had no problem with the shot distribution, nor the scoring distribution.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Cause sooner or later there's going to be 6 defenders on Lewis, 3 on Hartley and one on Dolson. Nobody will guard Faris and the water boy/girl will have both Hayes and Doty.

Well, as long as the other teams don't play 10 at a time, then no worries.

Seriously, there is NO issue with how the scoring was last night. NONE. It's about shot distribution and ball movement. Tough shooting nights happen.

Last night shots - KML - 17, Hartley - 16, Hayes - 15, Doty - 10, Dolson - 5, Faris - 5.
Last night points - KML - 25, Hartley - 19, Hayes - 9, Dolson - 9, Doty - 6.
I'd like Dolson to take more, and against most teams, she will.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well the way I look at it the only teams that will give UConn a run are TAM Baylor and ND most likely 3 times. Againest ND we have height and that proved to be enough until we had phantom calls . TAM is very good defensively and so are we but can Bone stop Dolsen like Stanford did? I dont think so. I would expect us to be the underdog againest Baylor and I think now we have a very good chance of beating them. It wont be easy but fronting Griner with a smaller player and keeping Dolsen behind the player fronting Griner like we did last night againest Stanford will hand that. Our defense and especially our press will give Baylor fits. In any event ND 2/3 times, and TAM will be hard fought games. Baylor will be a war. If we shoot like we did last night we could lose, we shoot like we have in the past and we have a good chance of beating Baylor. For the first time in a long time I havent predicted preseason we would/could be undefeated. I like what I saw last night, it aint out of the question.

Reaction Score
Nice that you're such a gracious loser.

I would be pissed as hell if someone tried to discount a UConn victory in this way. The final score is the final score.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Nice that you're such a gracious loser.

It's been 7 months. Get over it. We lost.
You didn't play well with other when you were little, did you.

Reaction Score
Well, thankfully they play 40 minutes, so I'm not a big fan of analyzing games by the half.
Although it certainly tells a story sometimes.r
My point is about the difference between the ND game and this game in regards to scoring. And while it would have been nice to have others score more, it was more of a product of missing shots and not about them not sharing the ball.

I had no problem with the shot distribution, nor the scoring distribution.
Ok, getting fun lets keep it going.
Let's say I give you that the scoring distribution was ok, but what about how it got there? Doty and Tiff need many many more shots to score a point than KML; they took shots away from other more efficient shooters.
Roughly: KML 1.5 points per shot, Hartley 1.3 points per shot; Doty and Tiff about 0.5 points per shot and sadly Kelly 0 points per shot.
That's not balanced scoring in my opinion. Sure they won this time, but it will come back to haunt us if it keeps up. Sooner or later they'll double and triple team KML just like ND did last year. My point is the more efficient scorers we have the more unbeatable we become.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Ok, getting fun lets keep it going.
Let's say I give you that the scoring distribution was ok, but what about how it got there? Doty and Tiff need many many more shots to score a point than KML; they took shots away from other more efficient shooters.
Roughly: KML 1.5 points per shot, Hartley 1.3 points per shot; Doty and Tiff about 0.5 points per shot and sadly Kelly 0 points per shot.
That's not balanced scoring in my opinion. Sure they won this time, but it will come back to haunt us if it keeps up. Sooner or later they'll double and triple team KML just like ND did last year. My point is the more efficient scorers we have the more unbeatable we become.
You keep confusing shot selection vs scoring.

You really think that shooting percentage will continue? It was an anomoly.

I really don't understand what you are looking for? PLayers to be more efficient? Who doesn't?

Help me out here Sonny. I'm not getting it.

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
Beautiful to behold but we need more balanced scoring.

Right - every shot that was missed until the middle of the second half should have gone in - so let me see, that would have been 98 to 58...:)

Reaction Score
You keep confusing shot selection vs scoring.

You really think that shooting percentage will continue? It was an anomoly.

I really don't understand what you are looking for? PLayers to be more efficient? Who doesn't?

Help me out here Sonny. I'm not getting it.

I guess we are doggydaddy. Going way back it sounded like you were satisfied with imbalanced scoring.
You said "why is that important?".
Now you are saying it was just an anomaly so you must not like it either. If you are right then the problem will correct itself.
But if it continues you won't still be asking "Why" is that important?" will you?
And yes efficiency is important. What do you hear in almost post game report? ABC limited XYZ's shooting percentage to under x% from the floor.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I guess we are doggydaddy. Going way back it sounded like you were satisfied with imbalanced scoring.
You said "why is that important?".
Now you are saying it was just an anomaly so you must not like it either. If you are right then the problem will correct itself.
But if it continues you won't still be asking "Why" is that important?" will you?
And yes efficiency is important. What do you hear in almost post game report? ABC limited XYZ's shooting percentage to under x% from the floor.
Well, I was not clear with why I posted "why" to you. I explained that your worry was unfounded based on last nights game.

There is no way this team will have imbalanced scoring. And they didn't last night. They had a tough night shooting. That's it.

And Stanford didn't limit anyone's shooting percentage. open looks were missed. First big game of the year. Lots of adrenaline. That's all.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
They were within 2 points of having four scorers in double figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom