Remember Jackie Gemelos?... | The Boneyard

Remember Jackie Gemelos?...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Verbally committed very young and became a 'recruiter' of classmates, then got to the summer of her junior year and de-committed. She was highly rated as a PG and Uconn probably missed out on other recruiting chances because of her initial commitment - Geno was not happy.

She then had a miserable college career due to recurring injuries. I believe she petitioned and received a sixth year of eligibility because she had missed two years due to injury.

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, her father was deeply involves in her recruiting and may havve been involved in her decision to de-commit because Geno wasn't going to have a second head coach.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I remembered much controversy and many injuries but lost the details. Thanks. Played for the Sky 4-5 years ago, also. I wish her the best... tough road.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I vaguely remember her name but not the UConn recruiting issues. Look her up on Wiki and you'll see a horrible injury history. A wonder she still plays.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jackie committed as a sophomore, somewhat unknowingly in a phone conversation with Geno. She was very highly ranked and considered the next Taurasi. A year later, Jayne Appel, who played about 100 miles away, started asking Jackie if she wouldn't rather stay closer to home and play in front of her family and friends. (Jayne played in Concord, CA and went to Stanford, in Palo Alto, maybe 40 miles away). It's my opinion that started Jackie to question her commitment.

In any case, Jackie had a series of knee injuries that affected her entire career, from high school, through college, through the pros. She is on the short list, with Brittany Hunter, Nicole Wolff, and others, of players who had phenomenal potential but had only modest careers because of injuries.

The fact that Jackie is still playing is a sign of her toughness, dedication, and love for the game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Her de-commit from UConn has come up on this board before. I swear in previous threads there was a mention of a boyfriend being a part of her reason for staying close to home, not seeing it this time. Now I see it was Jayne Appel's fault. :rolleyes:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Her de-commit from UConn has come up on this board before. I swear in previous threads there was a mention of a boyfriend being a part of her reason for staying close to home, not seeing it this time. Now I see it was Jayne Appel's fault. :rolleyes:
There were rumors of a boyfriend - but nothing was every confirmed or concrete. It was so long ago that I doubt there any articles that would mention a relationship as a possible issue...

Reaction Score
I seem to recall that Coach Geno was so incensed at her decision not to come to UConn that he was quoted as saying something to the effect that, "You'd better hope you don't play against UConn." Something like that?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I recall reading on this board years ago that her decommitment was in part due to a lack of confidence or hearing people question if she was good enough for UCONN. Super highly touted recruit whose potential was largely destroyed by several ACLs. Never got to see her best stuff.

UCONN was close to having a monster 2006 class with Charles, Appel choosing between UCONN/Stanford, and Gemelos committed. All top 5 kids, and Appel/Charles were the real deal from the get go. Who knows how good Gemelos wouldve been with no ACL tears. And to further that, who knows if Gemelos' presence wouldve had any impact on Maya (or EDD) choosing the Huskies.

At any rate, very happy to hear she is still playing and dedicated to the sport. Thanks for sharing.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I seem to recall that Coach Geno was so incensed at her decision not to come to UConn that he was quoted as saying something to the effect that, "You'd better hope you don't play against UConn." Something like that?

Here's the article with the quote posted below:

"I have the utmost respect for Coach Auriemma. He wasn't happy at all when I told him. I don't want to get into everything that was said, but he basically said that I should pray to God that I never play against his team. He was [angry], but I still totally respect him. What he was saying made sense, and I just had to take it."

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score

"I have the utmost respect for Coach Auriemma. He wasn't happy at all when I told him. I don't want to get into everything that was said, but he basically said that I should pray to God that I never play against his team. He was [angry], but I still totally respect him. What he was saying made sense, and I just had to take it."

For all the times I have been frustrated with the Boneyard, threads like this make me keep coming back.

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, her father was deeply involves in her recruiting and may havve been involved in her decision to de-commit because Geno wasn't going to have a second head coach.
Parents are the worse!

Reaction Score

Excellent work bbnut90 !! You must have an army of researchers at your disposal !

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I don't remember her at all.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Jackie plays in the same league as my daughter Erika Bean in Greece. her team has won like 130 straight games much like her High School team and UConn.
Wow, I'm glad to hear Erika is playing overseas. I always liked her demeanor and how she played the game. I hope she's doing all right in the current chaos.

Reaction Score
That post was totally uncalled for. Not only is it by you own admission pure speculation because you do use the terms " If I remember correctly" and "may", but there is nothing to even suggest what you assert. While intent is not easy to prove or disprove, my knowledge of the high school program that she came from makes your statement highly unlikely. Her high school coach runs a very strict program ( even more so at that time ) and would never put up with parental interference. If her father did not interfere with a high school program in his own back yard, what makes anyone even speculate he would have even thought about doing so in a program run by Geno a full three thousand miles away.

While there certainly are helicopter parents who create problems for any program thair children are involved in her dad was not one. I have been around enough to be able to tell the difference. To imply that her dad would have been a problem, based on pure speculation, is a petty and mean spirited attack on the character of someone you don't even know. While it may be fair game to criticize the last minute pull out of a commitment, as Jackie herself acknowledged, it is totally another to issue to ascribe the type of intent you did on someone.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Jackie's father was heavily involved in the recruiting and it was really his dream for her daughter to play at UConn. Many probably didn't know one of her sisters was enrolled in Hartford Jackie's senior year, so Jackie would have family close to her. I do wonder if Jayne Appel had committed to UConn, would Jackie have also come. While not definite, I think she might have. Jackie was not the student that Jayne was. Also I'm not sure Jackie wanted to be in the Fishbowl that UConn was/is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow, I'm glad to hear Erika is playing overseas. I always liked her demeanor and how she played the game. I hope she's doing all right in the current chaos.

didn't realize that she would have been a classmate of Tina Charles. Wonder whether she would have suffered all the injuries had she played for a better coach like Coach Geno.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
didn't realize that she would have been a classmate of Tina Charles. Wonder whether she would have suffered all the injuries had she played for a better coach like Coach Geno.
Not sure you're thinking of the same person. I'm talking about the Erika Bean who graduated from Utah last year.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Haha literally googled "jacki gemelos decommit uconn" and it was first article that came up.
and folks can’t use the “search” feature here because the post were probably on another Boneyard platform... maybe Scout

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
She first tore her ACL in high school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom