Reliable Kitchen Stove | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Reliable Kitchen Stove

Reaction Score
My brother has an old Hotpoint stove, and old means like maybe 40 or 50 years old. While it works for cooking, all the burners smoke while the water is boiling or the food cooks in the pan. It never stops smoking. This has been the case for at least the last 5 years from what he told me.

No repairperson that he has called, wants to come and look at it .

Anyone have a recommendation for a decent stove?

The reviews I read for the ones at Home Depot are pretty discouraging , meaning that the customers said that it stopped working after 2 months or it turns off in the middle of cooking, or the surface chips of leaves white sports after cleaning, or customer service sent somebody to fix it, but the problem reoccurred.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe all the new stoves are lousy and not made like they used to make them. IDK.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
My grandparents old cabin in Vermont has a fridge from the early 1940's in it that still works flawlessly. I am debating what to do with it, as the cabin itself needs demo. I'd like to put it in my home up there as a bar fridge, but I'm assuming it uses a lot of power.
I doubt there is a meaningful difference, dollarwise, between the amount of power it uses in the modern more efficient fridge. Which is in the same modern fridge wouldn’t be more efficient, it’s just to say that the difference probably isn’t a big number.

CL82

Reaction Score
We bought a new electric range when we bought our current house. A Whirlpool Gold Series. It seemed fine at the time.

2 years ago I replaced a baking element. Recently, a burner element and now two more burners are spotty. I am done with the DYIs.

In shopping for a new Samsung model I am hoping to get 5 years of satisfaction until we move.

Appliances at the box stores are not built to last.
Don’t Samsung‘s have a replacement part issue?

Reaction Score
My brother has an old Hotpoint stove, and old means like maybe 40 or 50 years old. While it works for cooking, all the burners smoke while the water is boiling or the food cooks in the pan. It never stops smoking. This has been the case for at least the last 5 years from what he told me.

No repairperson that he has called, wants to come and look at it .

Anyone have a recommendation for a decent stove?

The reviews I read for the ones at Home Depot are pretty discouraging , meaning that the customers said that it stopped working after 2 months or it turns off in the middle of cooking, or the surface chips of leaves white sports after cleaning, or customer service sent somebody to fix it, but the problem reoccurred.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe all the new stoves are lousy and not made like they used to make them. IDK.
Wolf
Wolf
Wolf
Wolf

VERY forgiving, cooks perfectly every time. Worth the money X100.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Highpoints were great old stoves.

Basically, most brand names now will be fine.

Avoid the Korean brands like grim death. (Samsung, LG.) Their reliability is crap and their repair networks are worse.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Due to Samsung comments here, I zagged and bought a Fridgidaire "Gallery" range with air fry capability.

Getting it Wednesday!

Reaction Score
My grandparents old cabin in Vermont has a fridge from the early 1940's in it that still works flawlessly. I am debating what to do with it, as the cabin itself needs demo. I'd like to put it in my home up there as a bar fridge, but I'm assuming it uses a lot of power.
Sell it on eBay. Our cabin had a Frigidaire range from 1956 that went for $500.

CL82

Reaction Score
Sell it on eBay. Our cabin had a Frigidaire range from 1956 that went for $500.
Those old Frigidaire ranges were beasts. My mother-in-law had one that lasted something like 50-60 years. The thing looked brand new.

Reaction Score
Those old Frigidaire ranges were beasts. My mother-in-law had one that lasted something like 50-60 years. The thing looked brand new.
We bought our cabin with the thing in it. Likely out there new, and got used maybe 20 times a year; it looked and worked great but was the size of a small car and we only have 650 sf.

Reaction Score
Highpoints were great old stoves.

Basically, most brand names now will be fine.

Avoid the Korean brands like grim death. (Samsung, LG.) Their reliability is crap and their repair networks are worse.
My parents had a Hotpoint cooktop and a Hotpoint built in oven, both lasted about 50 years, and the oven light at the back of the oven lasted 42 years. My wife and I have a Samsung refrigerator and a Samsung dryer, we also have a top loading LG washing machine and an LG glass cooktop range. All are over 5 or 6 years old. I guess we’re lucky.
:)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My parents had a Hotpoint cooktop and a Hotpoint built in oven, both lasted about 50 years, and the oven light at the back of the oven lasted 42 years. My wife and I have a Samsung refrigerator and a Samsung dryer, we also have a top loading LG washing machine and an LG glass cooktop range. All are over 5 or 6 years old. I guess we’re lucky.
:)

You are. They’re crap.

Hotpoints and Tappans were the miracles of the real estate rental world.

Tappans were ovens that had kind of a broiler thing up top - you could offer an elderly woman a new range and she would turn it down because none of them ever wanted to part with the Tappand. Hard to describe the set up.

As for Hotpoints, you could keep them going forever. They never broke,.

Samsungs were/are a scourge. LGs are better, but their repair network for warranty stuff is so bad that they sometimes have to resort to just shipping new ones to you.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You are. They’re crap.

Hotpoints and Tappans were the miracles of the real estate rental world.

Tappans were ovens that had kind of a broiler thing up top - you could offer an elderly woman a new range and she would turn it down because none of them ever wanted to part with the Tappand. Hard to describe the set up.

As for Hotpoints, you could keep them going forever. They never broke,.

Samsungs were/are a scourge. LGs are better, but their repair network for warranty stuff is so bad that they sometimes have to resort to just shipping new ones to you.
Will never buy another Samsung appliance. Absolute crap, and they will fight recalls or free replacements to the bitter end. No sense of customer service or satisfaction at all. My fridge went through 3 ice makers. Thousands of people with the same problem. Clear design defect and they wouldn't address it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Will never buy another Samsung appliance. Absolute crap, and they will fight recalls or free replacements to the bitter end. No sense of customer service or satisfaction at all. My fridge went through 3 ice makers. Thousands of people with the same problem. Clear design defect and they wouldn't address it.
Our current fridge is a Kenmore Elite that was made by Samsung, probably almost ten years old now. Bought it at the bang-n-dent and it developed problems with the ice maker within the first few months, requiring three separate service calls and ultimately a full replacement with a redesign. Apparently the problem was so widespread that it resulted in a class action, and we got another couple years added to our extended warranty.

Knock on wood, it has been fine for at least five years.

Reaction Score
Hear what you’re saying about Samsung, but I have had a Samsung Fridge 6 years (French doors w/ the freezer on the bottom) and it has worked fine. Did have a minor issue with the ice maker a couple years ago, repaired it myself, has worked fine since. Also have a Samsung dryer which is two years old, has worked fine. Also have an LG range, LG dishwasher and an LG washing machine. All about three years old, no issues. The LG washing (a top loader) machine is a marvel, the tub has no center agitator, it just one huge wash tub. Will wash a full king size bed spread or comforter no problem. It’s so big my wife can’t reach the clothes on the bottom without a step stool. Lol

CL82

Reaction Score
Hear what you’re saying about Samsung, but I have had a Samsung Fridge 6 years (French doors w/ the freezer on the bottom) and it has worked fine. Did have a minor issue with the ice maker a couple years ago, repaired it myself, has worked fine since.
What was the issue, and how did you repair it?

Reaction Score
What was the issue, and how did you repair it?
The issue was, and it only happened once, that the ice maker became one gigantic snowball. I simply unplugged it, put all of our food in a 20 year old basement fridge and in a chest freezer we have in the garage, waited until everything melted, cleaned the ice maker parts in the (LG) dishwasher then plugged it back in, but raised the freezer set point from zero to 2 degrees.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom