Relentlessly positive music | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Relentlessly positive music

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Speaking of Sam Cooke, the first "Soul Singer", which makes him the most influential pop singer of the modern era.... He was also the first black artist to own the publishing rights to all of his music.

Reaction Score
It's been awhile since there's been a music thread, and with the season starting in a week, likely awhile before there will be another.

My wife will tell you I enjoy a good gut-wrencher as much as anyone else, and I listened to all of her Requiems over the last week-plus. But I like happy music, too, and I'm actually quite positive about the coming season.

So, let's post positive music. Whatever you find positive, although I'd prefer no love songs or religious music. But I'm not sheriff, and there aren't any rules.

I'll start out with one of the best smiles ever, Louis Armstrong. I wrote a paper in, I think, 8th grade, about music in New Orleans in the early 20th century. One quote I remember, from the back of a record jacket of either Louis or the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, was that New Orleans jazz was "Good-time music for people having fun."

Good music is not by category. Music lover find something to love in each. Louie Armstrong, a childhood favorite, along with the ink spots, Mills brothers were amazing. The list goes on.

Reaction Score
Speaking of Sam Cooke, the first "Soul Singer", which makes him the most influential pop singer of the modern era.... He was also the first black artist to own the publishing rights to all of his music.

Any you have each on a record.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Or maybe...

I need to laugh, and when the sun is out
I've got something I an laugh about
I feel good, in a special way
I'm in love and it's a sunny day

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Any you have each on a record.
Both on vinyl. Jackie's stuff sounds egregious no matter the format though. Sam' has a little something.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

I dunno if Sam Cooke would qualify for "greatest pop singer of the R&B era," (probably a little early) but if he does, he gets my vote.

I didn't know anything about Jackie Wilson's life, so looked it up. It was certainly interesting and tragic, thanks for clueing me in to it.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Pure acoustic joy and beauty from our neighbor to the north, Mr. Cockburn:

Most underrated guitarist of my lifetime. Here's a live solo instrumental:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I dunno if Sam Cooke would qualify for "greatest pop singer of the R&B era," (probably a little early) but if he does, he gets my vote.

I didn't know anything about Jackie Wilson's life, so looked it up. It was certainly interesting and tragic, thanks for clueing me in to it.
Great singer, horrible person. But Van Morrison liked him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just came across this tremendous video yesterday and I think it fits. The Whispers wish they had The Floaters moves.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The Miseducation of Cameron Post

That's just beautiful, Hope. I hadn't heard of them. Listened to the whole album, which I found okay, this song was definitely the highlight. I wish they'd stayed together longer.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Here's another instrumental, this one from the Crusaders and featuring the sweetest guitar solo from Larry Carlton:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
And one from Steeleye Span. Their songs are often about murder, war, and debauchery, but this song is absolute happiness:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom