Reimer leaves ND team for balance of season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Reimer leaves ND team for balance of season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hope to be wrong about this, but I do believe that Turner's return is going to be an experiment which will not go well for her.
For her sake, hopefully they'll experiment in a way that won't cost her a chance for a medical.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I find it very interesting how people interpret statements made on TV, in the news, or on this Blog. Take for instance what WestCoastFan stated as an insight into the Reimer situation. He focused on how "Pressure is always relative." A true statement that I found apropos to the thread. It was benign as I and others read it. In fact, the second sentence showed his feelings as he commiserated and empathized with Reimer--'it must be tough to play BB for a Big Name U. as a teenager. Since everyone is different and Pressure is Relative then Reimer handled it in her way. WestCoastFan then pondered--as many of us do at times--and WONDERED how teenagers in other situations handle their own pressure cookers. ThisJustIn - brought up Single parent pressure for her own reasons. She interpreted the final line of the original post as an inappropriate remark!!
ThisJustIn's personal experiences brought her to that response.
Then Dobbs mentioned the post was unrelated to another's pressure cooker. That's his interpretation. Whereas many of us saw the direct connect of "Pressure situations of teens." Then Dobbs threw a curve from left field saying "There is no need to say her issues are nothing compared to a soldier walking through a mine field." Dobbs said it was nothing--not WestCoastFan.

WestCoastFan made the point (clearly to me & others) that "Pressure is Relative" and there are many different pressure situations and he wondered how some teens handle their own personal pressure cooker. All the other stuff came from the minds of other posters--not WestCoastFan--IMO.

Final thought - Many posters made the assumption that Reimer's situation was all about pressure. Says who? From what I have gleaned, it is more about unhappiness. Some might see that as the same, but there is a difference. Sure, one can be unhappy under pressure, however, one can just be unhappy because something does not come up to expectations. Reimer is unhappy and she removed herself from the situation. Unhappy from injuries? Unhappy about relationships? Unhappy with the college controlled situation?? Who knows at this time.
Did Jewel Lloyd jump into the WNBA draft because of pressure or unhappiness with the college scene? People are still interpreting that.
Um, okay Philly. So if you are saying that WestCoastFan's idle speculation about how a soldier in a deadly situation related to a troubled basketball player's issues with her own tough choices does not serve as a direct demeaning of the BB player's less deadly options, than please spill it. Did you as a Philly coach ever say to one of your players who was suffering from a cramp or knee tenderness, "You know there's American soldiers walking through minefields who have it's really tough."? Taya Reimer is indeed having some tough issues at this point, but throwing in a reference to a soldier in a far deadlier situation is offensive. And yes, I realize that view is one that will definitely get me another InBox message.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Some of the analogies cited in this thread remind me of how my mother used to coerce me to clean up my plate at mealtime by dramatically reminding me of the thousands of little kids going hungry all over the world. :eek:

It may not have been relevant but it worked every time. :rolleyes:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Some of the analogies cited in this thread remind me of how my mother used to coerce me to clean up my plate at mealtime by dramatically reminding me of the thousands of little kids going hungry all over the world. :eek:

It may not have been relevant but it worked every time. :rolleyes:
Oh sure, and next time a UConn player misses a bunny and blames it on being a little fatigued or that a 6'7" player was in her way, I'm just going to cut her down with a "You know there are soldiers walking through mine fields right now, and you are pathetic for missing that jumper." I'm sure it will work every time.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Next year ND has a better chance of winning the NC than they have this year.
Not suggesting that this thought has anything to do with the announcement.
With Stewie graduating many teams chances of winning the championship improve.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
With Stewie graduating many teams chances of winning the championship improve.
I think I agree, but I also think that many folks are overly optimistic. Yes, Stewie is a huge difference maker, and Moriah may be the second best player in the country. But a 5th year Morgan, improved Kia and Gabby, more experienced Lou and Napheesa, plus Natalie and Crystal, may still make us the team to beat. We still have Geno.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
Im not convinced that uconn will be that great next year. Look at the scoring in your close games. Thats your indication as of now.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Im not convinced that uconn will be that great next year. Look at the scoring in your close games. Thats your indication as of now.
It's amazing how people extrapolate next year's results from 8 games played this season. BTW, UConn has played 8 games, 4 of them against Top 18 ranked teams and 4 of them on the road with only 6 fully healthy players, yet they've won every game by 10 or more points. What, exactly, do you glean from that?

at #10 Ohio State......W 100-56
KANSAS STATE.......W 97-57
NEBRASKA..............W 88-46
at Chattanooga..........W 79-31
at #18 DePaul...........W 86-70
#3 NOTRE DAME....W 91-81
at Colgate..................W 94-50
#11 Florida State.......W 73-49

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Funny how they said today that she returned to the team

Hi...were you basing that on the Kara Lawson halftime report at Stanford-UT? If so, she and/or her producers were not aware of the Reimer news of leaving the ND team. According to S. Bend Tribune, there is no change in her leaving the team. Unusual for Lawson, she's usually pretty up to snuff....

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It's amazing how people extrapolate next year's results from 8 games played this season. BTW, UConn has played 8 games, 4 of them against Top 18 ranked teams and 4 of them on the road with only 6 fully healthy players, yet they've won every game by 10 or more points. What, exactly, do you glean from that?
We got a really good team this year.

Reaction Score
Um, okay Philly. So if you are saying that WestCoastFan's idle speculation about how a soldier in a deadly situation related to a troubled basketball player's issues with her own tough choices does not serve as a direct demeaning of the BB player's less deadly options, than please spill it. Did you as a Philly coach ever say to one of your players who was suffering from a cramp or knee tenderness, "You know there's American soldiers walking through minefields who have it's really tough."? Taya Reimer is indeed having some tough issues at this point, but throwing in a reference to a soldier in a far deadlier situation is offensive. And yes, I realize that view is one that will definitely get me another InBox message.

Yo Dobbs - your posts have always shown me that you know a lot about BB. On WBB you have your own perspective at times--some insightful & some unique. We agree to disagree on this one. YOU find it offensive--I and others don't.
NO, I have never used that particular statement to get my players past a cramp. However, I have MS and I have a walking impairment--I hobble around and stumble at times. My wife says I am the only guy who looks like he is drunk BEFORE we go the tavern. On rare occasions when I feel sorry for myself either I or my wife states, "Can't complain when XYZ has no legs at all or is completely paralyzed." That brings me back to the real situation and in the big picture--- I don't have it so bad.

Final thought - I would pass on the prayer of Serenity to Reimer or any other person who is struggling with life situations. We have to accept the things we cannot change and change the things we can---but need the wisdom to know the difference.
Have a good day and enjoy the Holiday spirit.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I believe we recruited Reimer hard- I hope things work out for her. I am thankful we didn't land her. If Muffet wasn't able to get her into the fold with that meeting they had "last year"? I doubt UConn would have been a good fit- I do hope Turner gets healthy and can compet by Feb/March!
They were recruiting her for a while until Geno went to a game in person. In his Geno show filmed shortly after that he discussed watching HS players not wanting to rebound or play around the basket - which was Taya's forte in HS unless she played Mavunga's team. I was one of her 'critics' and did not believe she was a good fit for UConn and Geno's coaching style.

I wish her the best and hope she finds peace with whatever decisions/challenges lie in front of her.

Reaction Score
I find it very interesting how people interpret statements made on TV, in the news, or on this Blog. Take for instance what WestCoastFan stated as an insight into the Reimer situation. He focused on how "Pressure is always relative." A true statement that I found apropos to the thread. It was benign as I and others read it. In fact, the second sentence showed his feelings as he commiserated and empathized with Reimer--'it must be tough to play BB for a Big Name U. as a teenager. Since everyone is different and Pressure is Relative then Reimer handled it in her way. WestCoastFan then pondered--as many of us do at times--and WONDERED how teenagers in other situations handle their own pressure cookers. ThisJustIn - brought up Single parent pressure for her own reasons. She interpreted the final line of the original post as an inappropriate remark!!
ThisJustIn's personal experiences brought her to that response.
Then Dobbs mentioned the post was unrelated to another's pressure cooker. That's his interpretation. Whereas many of us saw the direct connect of "Pressure situations of teens." Then Dobbs threw a curve from left field saying "There is no need to say her issues are nothing compared to a soldier walking through a mine field." Dobbs said it was nothing--not WestCoastFan.

WestCoastFan made the point (clearly to me & others) that "Pressure is Relative" and there are many different pressure situations and he wondered how some teens handle their own personal pressure cooker. All the other stuff came from the minds of other posters--not WestCoastFan--IMO.

Final thought - Many posters made the assumption that Reimer's situation was all about pressure. Says who? From what I have gleaned, it is more about unhappiness. Some might see that as the same, but there is a difference. Sure, one can be unhappy under pressure, however, one can just be unhappy because something does not come up to expectations. Reimer is unhappy and she removed herself from the situation. Unhappy from injuries? Unhappy about relationships? Unhappy with the college controlled situation?? Who knows at this time.
Did Jewel Lloyd jump into the WNBA draft because of pressure or unhappiness with the college scene? People are still interpreting that.

I wish I was as smart as you! Well said, my friend! BTW, I'll endeavor to keep my comments more "vanilla" in nature in the future...or at least thru the Xmas season. Merry Christmas, everyone.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Reimer is unhappy and she removed herself from the situation. Unhappy from injuries? Unhappy about relationships? Unhappy with the college controlled situation?? Who knows at this time.

I agree with you about Reimer. We'll probably never know the specifics, which is at it should be. Let her have some space and privacy.

The Loyd thing is different, though. She offered an explanation--she's always dreamed of playing professionally and she felt she was ready for the next level--but people won't take her at her word.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Who has Turner or Reimer?

Kara Lawson said that about Reimer on a halftime show that aired Sunday. She explained on twitter that the halftime segment was taped Friday night before the Reimer news broke. She would been referring to the fact that Reimer played against DePaul on Wednesday.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Kara Lawson said that about Reimer on a halftime show that aired Sunday. She explained on twitter that the halftime segment was taped Friday night before the Reimer news broke. She would been referring to the fact that Reimer played against DePaul on Wednesday.

Thanks for updating. Was wondering how that report would've happened...she/her staff are usually pretty on top of those details.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If Turner can't return this season ND is going to be mighty thin at the post.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
They were recruiting her for a while until Geno went to a game in person. In his Geno show filmed shortly after that he discussed watching HS players not wanting to rebound or play around the basket - which was Taya's forte in HS unless she played Mavunga's team. I was one of her 'critics' and did not believe she was a good fit for UConn and Geno's coaching style.

I wish her the best and hope she finds peace with whatever decisions/challenges lie in front of her.
Thks for that! I know we really wanted Mavunga who I love. So you believe Geno was referring to Reimer because of the timing of the show vs a visit to see her in person. Well we dodged a bullet.

Reaction Score
I presume Muffet will not miss 'Reimer' so much with all those 3 pt. sharp shooters on the team. Old saying, 'If you live by the 3, you can die by the 3'.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Reimer is/was a junior captain. So she must have/had the respect of her teammates and coaches. I hope she finds her footing and makes the best decision for her future.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If Turner can't return this season ND is going to be mighty thin at the post.

I'm guessing that ND will play several games this year that the absence of Reimer and Turner will put a severe strain on their game plan.

We're all familiar with the old saying "There's no substitute for height". ND's 3 point shooting proficiency will fail them a game of two this year.
They're not going to be "on" every night, nobody is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom