Reimer leaves ND team for balance of season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Reimer leaves ND team for balance of season

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Pressure is always relative. I'm sure it must be tough to play basketball games for a big-name university as a 18-19 year old. I wonder how those 18-19 year olds who patrol foreign lands, looking for terrorists/IEDs, while dodging bullets, handle it.

Gene has often talked about how there is pressure at UConn.. but it's nothing compared to the pressure a single parent feels. Obviously, no one but you is making the comparison to soldiers... not sure why you felt the need.

Reaction Score
Gene has often talked about how there is pressure at UConn.. but it's nothing compared to the pressure a single parent feels. Obviously, no one but you is making the comparison to soldiers... not sure why you felt the need.

Hence the term "relative". Might want to look up the meaning of the word. It was an example of how waaaay too much is made about pressure playing a game. It's college...enjoy it. BTW, I'm a single parent...best job I ever had!

Reaction Score
I wouldn't count ND out for the F4 and even winning the National Championship, especially if Brianna Turner is ready to play late in the season and all of the Tournament. They are a talented team with great 3 point shooting which will keep them in most games. They'll have all season to work on their 4 guard lineup. Do I think ND wins the National Championship, no I don't. However wouldn't surprise me to see them playing in the National Championship game.
Agreed. The way their young guns are shooting it will take more than 73 pts to beat them in the F4.

Reaction Score
That she has left for "personal reasons" is interesting.... because she left mid season last year for a game or two for personal reasons.... didn't know if she wanted to be part of the team.... then she rejoined team....

just this past week learned of her achilles with talk she may be out medically for the year.....

but perhaps it is same motivation as last years absence

whatever it is I wish her well

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Hence the term "relative". Might want to look up the meaning of the word. It was an example of how waaaay too much is made about pressure playing a game. It's college...enjoy it. BTW, I'm a single parent...best job I ever had!
Um, but are you a basketball player in a high pressure situation with almost certainly many other issues troubling her in the last two years? Whether we do have a dictionary next to us when we are reading posts, most of us do know that you shouldn't throw in in totally unrelated (maybe look up the meaning of the word "unrelated") experience to a WCBB's player's to belittle her. Sure, from your point of view I guess playing college basketball is all fun and games, but to a lot of players that's not exactly the case, as they can have family situations, academic issues, health problems, a school that doesn't condone their lifestyle choices, or whatever. There's really no need to say her issues are nothing compared to a soldier walking through a mine field.

Last edited by a moderator:

JS

Reaction Score
The issue of a possible return next season has to be at least cloudy at best....but I hope she does.
This article goes there with the speculation -- informed or not.

"It is possible the Notre Dame women’s basketball team has seen the last of junior captain Taya Reimer."

ND Insider

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
If she's going to transfer she should do it now so that she could play 2nd semester of next season.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
This year continues to be fascinating with regard student-athlete choice/decision matters:

Two of Kentucky's dropouts were picked up by the ESPN cameras sitting a few rows behind the UK bench during the Louisville game, befuddling the pundits to a great degree. The team then went out and played with a high degree of enthusiasm confirming (for now) Mitchell's hard to believe theory that all the transfers were unrelated

Now Reimer does her annual swoon (I shouldn't be sarcastic) she may very well be back, or Muffit may be tired of putting up with her antics...classy to keep her on scholarship though.

Hopefully the little drama playing out (or not) at Storrs will resolve itself soon.I am not happy with the Athletic Dept. PR seemingly removing DJB from the roster...(before anyone gets hysterical, let me explain).

The AP story mentioned the status of the walking wounded
(the info obviously provided by the U).
DJB's name was not mentioned (as it had been in past releases).

Conclusion: She is some sort of neverland status; not quite on the team nor off.
It is hard to believe that the PR Dept. forgot about her, this was an intentional slight and message (to someone).

Faites attention c'il vous plait...the incoming is very subtle.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
This year continues to be fascinating with regard student-athlete choice/decision matters:

I am not happy with the Athletic Dept. PR seemingly removing DJB from the roster...(before anyone gets hysterical, let me explain).

Well gee I would have thought that if the Athletic Department removed anyone from the team that they would remove her from the roster?

Roster

My conclusion is that you fantasize drama and hope that ocassionally one of them sticks.

Whatever happens with DJB, how about letting it play out a little before every dark shadow scenario is postulated?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Well gee I would have thought that if the Athletic Department removed anyone from the team that they would remove her from the roster?

Roster

My conclusion is that you fantasize drama and hope that ocassionally one of them sticks.

Whatever happens with DJB, how about letting it play out a little before every dark shadow scenario is postulated?

I was in error with my "seemingly remove" comment.
Thank you for bringing that to my attention and the board.

With regard the rest...the release obviously happened...mentioned by others
You don't think they just forgot her, do you?

But I will also mind the conclusions I draw...I accept having jumped a bit far.

Reaction Score
I'm an ardent Uconn fan since the early nineties. I spend too much time reading Boneyard entries and watching game replays. I find myself wondering on my ride home from work about whether or not Ms. Walker will choose to dance at our party, or if the rumors are true that she'll be matriculating elsewhere.

I enjoy hearing about the 14 and 15 year-olds that have Uconn type potential, and I revel in our lopsided victories. I've pretty much put aside my interest in other sports and now plan my winter evenings around the UCONN WBB schedule.

But despite the fact that I'm still having trouble putting Muffet's ill-advised comments about Geno in my rear view mirror, I'm really sorry to hear that ND is losing Reimer for the season.

I want us to play the very best competition that's out there, and the Irish have been the team to give us trouble for the last five years. They've recruited as well as we have, and they are coached at a very high level. I want Turner at her best against us and I want us to have to work hard to beat each and every opponent.

WCBB needs to have it's best talent out there performing each night; let's hope that Turner comes back soon at full strength and that neither us nor them suffer any more injuries.

I want to beat them at full strength so that I don't have to listen to them whining about how they would have won if only the hadn't lost their key personel. And besides, every girl on every team deserves a chance to perform her best while playing in college. Notre Dame players too.

Reaction Score
There is life, single mother or soldier, and there is basketball.

Reaction Score
Whether Turner comes back Dec 21, or against Oregon State, She had better be at full strength, or very close to it. She'll be going against Oregon State's 6'6" senior, Ruth Hamblin (13.3 ppg/ 8.3 rpg). Ruth is healthy, and will be a handful for Turner, or anyone else Notre Dame assigns to guard her. I'm picking Oregon State to win that game.

Still not convinced that that conference is that strong or that OR State is that good (like four "thats" in one sentence?). I think the coaching is good, just not convinced about the overall talent level of the team. Stanford is a shadow of their former self and should still be in the top three this year. I'm picking ND over OR State if Turner's back, even if she's only 80%.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
I think we need to leave her alone. The comment about Dec 21st tells me there's an academic concern, as that would be after finals. So let's let her take her finals and hopefully the academic and any other issues are resolved. If not, she may need to either skip the basketball to focus on academics or transfer to a less academically rigorous school. Either way, we wish her much success and health.

Reaction Score
I don't like to see news like this from any team, BUT...................some of the biggest dents ND put in UCONN were at a time when the transfers of EDD, Samarie Walker and Jess McCormack left the UCONN frontcourt in dire straits.

I don't recall much being said on national telecasts, or in print about those defections as ND was racking up a string of wins, often in miracle last second regulation, or overtime fashion.

As much as I'd like to see UCONN's top competition at full strenght, it was getting a little old hearing and reading about ND's unfortunate situation prior, during and after last weeks meeting. It would be great if Turner comes back healthy and Reimer's issues get straightened out, just as it would be great if UCONN's 3 walking wounded were available, but unfortunately, it is what it is.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Pressure is always relative. I'm sure it must be tough to play basketball games for a big-name university as a 18-19 year old. I wonder how those 18-19 year olds who patrol foreign lands, looking for terrorists/IEDs, while dodging bullets, handle it.
Well, that's pretty darn condescending of you.

Do you recall we're discussing college students that play basketball, not professional athletes? Student-athletes have all the pressure of any other college kid - classes, exams, family expectations, peer pressure - plus the pressure of playing for an elite basketball team where there are more expectations and peer pressure, all played out on national TV. Fans don't help, either their own fans or fans of other teams that pass judgement on them and heap scorn on them for their perceived weaknesses.

How the student-athletes handle all the pressure and expectations depends largely on their personalities, just like any other human being. I'm sure you know people at work who laugh off impossible assignments with short deadlines while others are popping tranquilizers. Kids, too, will vary in their responses to pressure.

BTW, plenty of 30, 40, and 50 year olds buckle under every day pressure too, and yes, there are people those ages serving our country as well. Does that make the civilians lesser?

Reaction Score
Um, but are you a basketball player in a high pressure situation with almost certainly many other issues troubling her in the last two years? Whether we do have a dictionary next to us when we are reading posts, most of us do know that you shouldn't throw in in totally unrelated (maybe look up the meaning of the word "unrelated") experience to a WCBB's player's to belittle her. Sure, from your point of view I guess playing college basketball is all fun and games, but to a lot of players that's not exactly the case, as they can have family situations, academic issues, health problems, a school that doesn't condone their lifestyle choices, or whatever. There's really no need to say her issues are nothing compared to a soldier walking through a mine field.

Never said her issues were nothing. Obviously important to her. Just said we (as in "us experts") try to explain her problems, which you have NO CLUE what they are, by using a descriptive term that's a relative measure. Take a deep breath. As far as all stuff about family situations, academic issues, etc..., with the exception of basketball, all kids in college go thru that.

BTW, it's always interesting that we tend to be much more concerned with a young lady's problems than with a young man's. I'll bet if it were a guy who suddenly left a top tier program, most would say it's because he's flunking out of school, hates the coach, a team distraction, etc...Unfortunately, with the dichotomy (word of the day for you) in future salaries, that decision can put great pressure (relative term) on the guy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, that's pretty darn condescending of you.

Do you recall we're discussing college students that play basketball, not professional athletes? Student-athletes have all the pressure of any other college kid - classes, exams, family expectations, peer pressure - plus the pressure of playing for an elite basketball team where there are more expectations and peer pressure, all played out on national TV. Fans don't help, either their own fans or fans of other teams that pass judgement on them and heap scorn on them for their perceived weaknesses.

How the student-athletes handle all the pressure and expectations depends largely on their personalities, just like any other human being. I'm sure you know people at work who laugh off impossible assignments with short deadlines while others are popping tranquilizers. Kids, too, will vary in their responses to pressure.

BTW, plenty of 30, 40, and 50 year olds buckle under every day pressure too, and yes, there are people those ages serving our country as well. Does that make the civilians lesser?

Doesn't make anyone lesser, Nan. Never said it did. Also, I had no intention of being condescending to anyone. I'm a retired Naval Aviator who's been a "civilian" longer than a military dude.

College students of all ages, especially those away from home for the first time, face challenges/"pressures"...especially paying for their education. I would have loved to have had that pressure off my back (didn't play hard enough nor study enough in high school). Just because you get a full-ride scholarship for putting a ball in a hole doesn't make you any more/less susceptible to pressure. It's all RELATIVE. Everyone is different....especially us older folks.

If you prefer, substitute the military analogy with those young people who are probationary firemen, work on an oil platform, metal worker on a skyscraper, etc.

BTW, totally agree on your fans comment. Most fans have never played a competitive sport, yet they feel obliged and entitled to make comments about kids who they don't know and about sports they never played...outside of their backyard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I find it very interesting how people interpret statements made on TV, in the news, or on this Blog. Take for instance what WestCoastFan stated as an insight into the Reimer situation. He focused on how "Pressure is always relative." A true statement that I found apropos to the thread. It was benign as I and others read it. In fact, the second sentence showed his feelings as he commiserated and empathized with Reimer--'it must be tough to play BB for a Big Name U. as a teenager. Since everyone is different and Pressure is Relative then Reimer handled it in her way. WestCoastFan then pondered--as many of us do at times--and WONDERED how teenagers in other situations handle their own pressure cookers. ThisJustIn - brought up Single parent pressure for her own reasons. She interpreted the final line of the original post as an inappropriate remark!!
ThisJustIn's personal experiences brought her to that response.
Then Dobbs mentioned the post was unrelated to another's pressure cooker. That's his interpretation. Whereas many of us saw the direct connect of "Pressure situations of teens." Then Dobbs threw a curve from left field saying "There is no need to say her issues are nothing compared to a soldier walking through a mine field." Dobbs said it was nothing--not WestCoastFan.

WestCoastFan made the point (clearly to me & others) that "Pressure is Relative" and there are many different pressure situations and he wondered how some teens handle their own personal pressure cooker. All the other stuff came from the minds of other posters--not WestCoastFan--IMO.

Final thought - Many posters made the assumption that Reimer's situation was all about pressure. Says who? From what I have gleaned, it is more about unhappiness. Some might see that as the same, but there is a difference. Sure, one can be unhappy under pressure, however, one can just be unhappy because something does not come up to expectations. Reimer is unhappy and she removed herself from the situation. Unhappy from injuries? Unhappy about relationships? Unhappy with the college controlled situation?? Who knows at this time.
Did Jewel Lloyd jump into the WNBA draft because of pressure or unhappiness with the college scene? People are still interpreting that.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I believe we recruited Reimer hard- I hope things work out for her. I am thankful we didn't land her. If Muffet wasn't able to get her into the fold with that meeting they had "last year"? I doubt UConn would have been a good fit- I do hope Turner gets healthy and can compet by Feb/March!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Still not convinced that that conference is that strong or that OR State is that good (like four "thats" in one sentence?). I think the coaching is good, just not convinced about the overall talent level of the team. Stanford is a shadow of their former self and should still be in the top three this year. I'm picking ND over OR State if Turner's back, even if she's only 80%.
I count five. :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't like to see news like this from any team, BUT....some of the biggest dents ND put in UCONN were at a time when the transfers of EDD, Samarie Walker and Jess McCormack left the UCONN frontcourt in dire straits.

I don't recall much being said on national telecasts, or in print about those defections as ND was racking up a string of wins, often in miracle last second regulation, or overtime fashion.

As much as I'd like to see UCONN's top competition at full strenght, it was getting a little old hearing and reading about ND's unfortunate situation prior, during and after last weeks meeting. It would be great if Turner comes back healthy and Reimer's issues get straightened out, just as it would be great if UCONN's 3 walking wounded were available, but unfortunately, it is what it is.

I hope to be wrong about this, but I do believe that Turner's return is going to be an experiment which will not go well for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom