Reid Ducharme Part 2 | The Boneyard

Reid Ducharme Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

-> One thing is certain: Caroline’s presence at UConn will certainly be an allure for Reid if he chooses to commit to the men’s program.

“My whole family and I are really close, Caroline and I have been working out together, (played) together a whole lot,” he said. “That’ll definitely help my decision.”

That decision won’t likely come for another year. Ducharme, a 6-foot-4 shooting guard, is being heavily recruited by not only UConn but Iowa, Stanford, Providence and a few Ivy League programs, among others. <-

Reaction Score
I think his comment about his sister means how she likes UConn and what her experience is here will influence his decision, rather than simply her playing for UConn. If we want him, I hope she likes it here and plays a ton.

Reaction Score
I think his comment about his sister means how she likes UConn and what her experience is here will influence his decision, rather than simply her playing for UConn. If we want him, I hope she likes it here and plays a ton.
I think she will play enough. The coaches and players are saying she is better than expected.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What were the expectations? Wasn't she a top 5 rated recruit?
I think she is going to be a star, based on a couple of things. I caught a podcast with her talking basketball and I swear she reminded me of Taurasi. She sounded like she knows and loves the game. The initial reports are good, she's tall and can make 3's. She will fit this team like a glove.

Reaction Score
What were the expectations? Wasn't she a top 5 rated recruit?
She has been hurt a lot in high school, so her ranking suffered early. She’s a stud and will be in the league one day. UConn has recently gotten and have ALOT of talent coming in, so it’s gonna be hard for any one player not named Paige, Azzie or Aliyah to stand out. But I’m hearing if anyone, it will be her. Her experience here should be awesome because not only will she play, she will be good.

Reaction Score
Curious if we can bring in both Ducharme and Griffiths. Slightly different play styles, so maybe we can.

A class of Ducharme at SG, Griffiths at SF, and Bowen at PF, plus a Top PG would be killer.
Miranda has to be a priority as well

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Not the first time it’s happened and won’t be the last, but this kid’s height is different on every website. Is he 6’4”, 6’5” or 6’6”?

Reaction Score
IF a choice is needed, I have been predisposed to favor Ducharme over Griffith because I assumed by reputation and ranking that they were equal shooters with approximately equal size and skill to play a big 2G for us. I liked the storyline with Caroline. I liked the storyline playing with Bowen and Buzelis at Brewster where I could watch in person, and maybe see half of our future team.

Now that I've watched multiple live streamed games of both, at Avon Old Farms with their Brewster and Kingswood teams, and Peach Jam with their AAU teams, Griffith is winning me over based on his consistency. In the small sample size, if they both shoot 40% from deep, Griffith seems to be a guy who makes 4 out of every 10. Ducharme seems to have cold streaks and I haven't yet seen the hot streak that must be there. Both have a relationship with Bowen.

The defensive comment of @Matrim55 with respect to Ducharme surprises me because in the AAU games he was the point person in a 1-2-2 zone whenever I noticed. They were using him there to chase the ball and be difficult to pass over. He wasn't really playing anybody to show tough hardnosed defense. Since we don't seem to play zone, I didn't think there was much to notice unless Hurley wanted to change up to a zone in certain game situations.

(FYI; I think he is 6'6 or a big 6'5. Definitely bigger than 6'4. I've forgotten how to convert to Hilton units.)

If we are losing Hawkins to the pros after 2 seasons, I could see both as Huskies. I love the great comments from Castle, Bowen, Ducharme, and Griffith. I think Buzelis might be impactful in the most ways. Buzelis, Miranda, & Edwards have been interested enough to unofficial without gushing like the others. I'd be thrilled if we filled our open roster spots with any combination of as many of these players as practical. I do want Bowen, and at least 1 of Griffith and Ducharme.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IF a choice is needed, I have been predisposed to favor Ducharme over Griffith because I assumed by reputation and ranking that they were equal shooters with approximately equal size and skill to play a big 2G for us. I liked the storyline with Caroline. I liked the storyline playing with Bowen and Buzelis at Brewster where I could watch in person, and maybe see half of our future team.

Now that I've watched multiple live streamed games of both, at Avon Old Farms with their Brewster and Kingswood teams, and Peach Jam with their AAU teams, Griffith is winning me over based on his consistency. In the small sample size, if they both shoot 40% from deep, Griffith seems to be a guy who makes 4 out of every 10. Ducharme seems to have cold streaks and I haven't yet seen the hot streak that must be there. Both have a relationship with Bowen.

The defensive comment of @Matrim55 with respect to Ducharme surprises me because in the AAU games he was the point person in a 1-2-2 zone whenever I noticed. They were using him there to chase the ball and be difficult to pass over. He wasn't really playing anybody to show tough hardnosed defense. Since we don't seem to play zone, I didn't think there was much to notice unless Hurley wanted to change up to a zone in certain game situations.

(FYI; I think he is 6'6 or a big 6'5. Definitely bigger than 6'4. I've forgotten how to convert to Hilton units.)

Always appreciate your insights Ricker. I haven't seen much of Ducharme, helpful that's helpful to hear.

And FWIW remember that Ducharme was playing up in 17U. Better competition could have impacted his consistency. Plus playing with new guys for BABC and with a team that has never played a game together with Brewster... he's both not the #1 option like Gavin is for his team, and has less experience playing with those groups. Personally not concerned with the consistency just yet. Give him a month with Brewster before we make those judgments in my opinion.

Griffiths looks 6'6 to me and Ducharme looks 6'5. Probably listed an inch taller for each in college.

We have enough talent leaving (or likely leaving) that year that I wouldn't be surprised if we pursue both heavily and could accept a commitment from both. I'm thinking GG as a Jackson replacement and RD as a Hawkins replacement potentially. Ducharme is probably a 2/3 and Griffiths a pure 3, so some options to play together.

Reaction Score

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Because when you see him play live you realize he defends like a mean SOB.

Now that is music to my ears. My imagination serves up a slightly taller version of Rex Walters, who I watched quite a lot. But that's probably asking too much.

Reaction Score
It’s pretty amazing how many high upside kids we are recruiting for 23. It’s really difficult to try and pick and choose what direction I hope we move in because they all seem to bring so much to the table. The other hard part is trying to predict how many open scholarships we will have to offer as well.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Always appreciate your insights Ricker. I haven't seen much of Ducharme, helpful that's helpful to hear.

And FWIW remember that Ducharme was playing up in 17U. Better competition could have impacted his consistency. Plus playing with new guys for BABC and with a team that has never played a game together with Brewster... he's both not the #1 option like Gavin is for his team, and has less experience playing with those groups. Personally not concerned with the consistency just yet. Give him a month with Brewster before we make those judgments in my opinion.

Griffiths looks 6'6 to me and Ducharme looks 6'5. Probably listed an inch taller for each in college.

We have enough talent leaving (or likely leaving) that year that I wouldn't be surprised if we pursue both heavily and could accept a commitment from both. I'm thinking GG as a Jackson replacement and RD as a Hawkins replacement potentially. Ducharme is probably a 2/3 and Griffiths a pure 3, so some options to play together.

I have not watched much of either, but I thought Ducharme was playing mostly G, even 1 sometimes. Is he more of 2/3 or is that just your guesstimate based on his size and shooting? Genuinely curious, haven't watched them like others have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom