Register: Geno Talks About The Elephant | The Boneyard

Register: Geno Talks About The Elephant

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Auriemma said in the last couple of years the rumors that he is closing in on retirement have been used by some programs fighting it out with UConn for top recruits.

“Now I keep asking them first, ‘you have any questions like when I am going to retire,’” Auriemma said. “Well, now that you brought it up ... I am sure that is what people are going to bring up. One of the things I said to one of those kids who asked me that who is a really good kid, a fun kid to be around, I said well maybe the coach who asked you that question maybe I’ll be around longer than they will because I have (outlasted) a lot of coaches. It has come up way more in the last two years than it ever has.

“I don’t think there is a time that I am looking at right now and say, I can see it (retirement) coming, I don’t see it,” Auriemma said. “I’ve always said to (assistant coaches) Shea (Ralph), CD (Dailey) and Marisa (Moseley) that depending on the kind of kids that we get, that will depend on how much longer we coach. If all of a sudden we can’t get the kind of kids that can’t live up to the kind of standards that we have here then that would be a signal, but each year we keep getting them.”

Oh, Happy Day. Not that we won't have at least 3 threads a week about the next coach!

It’s business as usual for Geno Auriemma with 1,000th win imminent

Reaction Score
I heard that elephants never forget. I wonder what it is that they have to remember? Maybe where the best trees are for eating or how to get to a river with good water to drink?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One of my favorite posts you've ever put on here. Basically Geno said he's planning on coaching as long as he gets the kind of kids he loves to coach and who can live up to the standards that UCONN has set over the years, he will continue to coach. To me, that means forever! :D

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
One of my favorite posts you've ever put on here. Basically Geno said he's planning on coaching as long as he gets the kind of kids he loves to coach and who can live up to the standards that UCONN has set over the years, he will continue to coach. To me, that means forever! :D

That is quite the statement from Geno. I couldn't believe I was reading it and, like you, it tickled me to death to have him say it. But you and I appear to be in a minority in appreciating it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That is quite the statement from Geno. I couldn't believe I was reading it and, like you, it tickled me to death to have him say it. But you and I appear to be in a minority in appreciating it.
If by "minority" you mean "UCONN fans all over the world", then yes, we are in the minority LOL!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
People prefer to argue over who Geno's successor should be. You know no one is happy here unless they're able to argue or bitch and moan about UConn's imminent (or in progress) demise. Joy seems to be something to avoid at all costs.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maybe I missed, but I didn't see any references to elephants....my favorite animal.
I think it was in the original article. The linked version appears to be truncated.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
People prefer to argue over who Geno's successor should be. You know no one is happy here unless they're able to argue or bitch and moan about UConn's imminent (or in progress) demise. Joy seems to be something to avoid at all costs.
Welcome to New England Nan.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Welcome to New England Nan.
I was born here, thanks.

When I started here on the Boneyard in 1994, fans were absolutely giddy when the team just kept winning. Win by one point or by 50, it was fun and happy and everyone seemed to be in awe of this marvelous program at our doorstep. Now, UConn wins by 30 over an unranked team and it's doom and gloom, a list of players that aren't playing up to expectations is constructed and analyzed in excruciating detail. Debate on who should transfer out begins and folks start fretting about the recruiting for the class of 2019 so Geno can bring in, I suppose, better players. All of this happened after a game in November when players are being asked to do new things and the team is still gelling, after a long road trip, to boot.

On days like that, I'd rather hang out on the men's board. Some people there remember to see something good in a win. I've been spending more time there these days.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score

In the spirit of the season,
1386801208_94240.jpg

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I was born here, thanks.

When I started here on the Boneyard in 1994, fans were absolutely giddy just to keep winning. Win by one point or by 50, it was fun and happy and everyone seemed to be in awe of this marvelous program at our doorstep. Now, UConn wins by 30 over an unranked team and it's doom and gloom, a list of players that aren't playing up to expectations is constructed and analyzed in excruciating detail. Debate on who should transfer out begins and folks start fretting about the recruiting for the class of 2019 so Geno can bring in, I suppose, better players. All of this happened after a game in November when players are being asked to do new things and the team is still gelling, after a long road trip, to boot.

On days like that, I'd rather hang out on the men's board. Some people there remember to see something good in a win. I've been spending more time there these days.

I guess this is why Geno says: "Whoever comes in after us certainly won’t have an easy task ahead of them,” Auriemma said. “Even if they’re great, that might not be good enough. That’s not an enviable position to be in.” Jeff Jacobs: Geno's Not Going Anywhere For At Least Five Years

Reaction Score
"Auriemma said in the last couple of years the rumors that he is closing in on retirement have been used by some programs fighting it out with UConn for top recruits.

“Now I keep asking them first, ‘you have any questions like when I am going to retire,’” Auriemma said. “Well, now that you brought it up ... I am sure that is what people are going to bring up. One of the things I said to one of those kids who asked me that who is a really good kid, a fun kid to be around, I said well maybe the coach who asked you that question maybe I’ll be around longer than they will because I have (outlasted) a lot of coaches. It has come up way more in the last two years than it ever has.

“I don’t think there is a time that I am looking at right now and say, I can see it (retirement) coming, I don’t see it,” Auriemma said. “I’ve always said to (assistant coaches) Shea (Ralph), CD (Dailey) and Marisa (Moseley) that depending on the kind of kids that we get, that will depend on how much longer we coach. If all of a sudden we can’t get the kind of kids that can’t live up to the kind of standards that we have here then that would be a signal, but each year we keep getting them.”

Oh, Happy Day. Not that we won't have at least 3 threads a week about the next coach!

It’s business as usual for Geno Auriemma with 1,000th win imminent

This is exactly the same comments Geno made many months ago when this R word raised it's ugly head. Nothing new--most knew of this comment when they (WE) speculated on his retirement. I believe I posted a comment along the above lines: He'll stay as long as it's fun with the right kids--his whole comment boils down to that.

It is important that this gets out among the HS WBB world for all to know--he ain't go-in nos where--not now.

Reaction Score
I guess this is why Geno says: "Whoever comes in after us certainly won’t have an easy task ahead of them,” Auriemma said. “Even if they’re great, that might not be good enough. That’s not an enviable position to be in.” Jeff Jacobs: Geno's Not Going Anywhere For At Least Five Years

That 5 year comment isn't good ---bad press--bad for recruiting for the 2020 recruits--puts a date into their minds which some coaches will use against Geno. Until he walks out the door that date MuST remain an open issue..
Everyone who know Uconn wBB knows the next guy starts at the top of the pile and there is only one way from there on in--

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
I was born here, thanks.

When I started here on the Boneyard in 1994, fans were absolutely giddy when the team just kept winning. Win by one point or by 50, it was fun and happy and everyone seemed to be in awe of this marvelous program at our doorstep. Now, UConn wins by 30 over an unranked team and it's doom and gloom, a list of players that aren't playing up to expectations is constructed and analyzed in excruciating detail. Debate on who should transfer out begins and folks start fretting about the recruiting for the class of 2019 so Geno can bring in, I suppose, better players. All of this happened after a game in November when players are being asked to do new things and the team is still gelling, after a long road trip, to boot.

Or, if you want to become positively giddy, you could try the football board............................

Reaction Score
A friend of mine is 7' and his wife is 5'11. I hope their 1 year old girl will get to have Geno coach her at UConn :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom