Reggie Miller is better than Steph Curry | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Reggie Miller is better than Steph Curry

Reaction Score
the 8 season in Milwaukee and Seattle when he had minimal success and in the other thread you said he was overlooked.

He led MIL to Game 7 of the ECF (he had a helluva series too) and was then traded away to a loaded West. Individually he was a beast all along but played in two small markets that never had the spotlight in the big moment (TV ratings were already going in the toilet in 2001).

If Reggie Miller would be better than Steph in today's NBA then prime Ray Allen would win MVP every single year.

Reaction Score
He led MIL to Game 7 of the ECF (he had a helluva series too) and was then traded away to a loaded West. Individually he was a beast all along but played in two small markets that never had the spotlight in the big moment (TV ratings were already going in the toilet in 2001).

If Reggie Miller would be better than Steph in today's NBA then prime Ray Allen would win MVP every single year.

So now all of a sudden losing in the ECF is an accomplishment to you? You’re remarkable. You contradict yourself each time you post.

Reaction Score
I think it's comparing apples/oranges. I think Steph is better, but it is not by the margin that a lot of the pro-Steph-ers think. The two eras are completely different. Reggie would have scored more in today's game because of the freedom of movement. People want to talk about Steph dribbling and getting off his own shot. If he played in the 90's Steph would have been knocked around a lot more. The league was a lot more physical.
I'm not saying Steph or today's players are soft, it's just the game has changed. It's guard oriented. Reggie played in the day of the dominant center.
Regardless, what I'd pay to see if it were possible would be Steph vs. 'The Answer'. As good as Steph is, I think AI would eat him for lunch if both are in their primes. AI was a defensive and offensive nightmare for the opposing players.

Reaction Score
I think it's comparing apples/oranges. I think Steph is better, but it is not by the margin that a lot of the pro-Steph-ers think. The two eras are completely different. Reggie would have scored more in today's game because of the freedom of movement. People want to talk about Steph dribbling and getting off his own shot. If he played in the 90's Steph would have been knocked around a lot more. The league was a lot more physical.
I'm not saying Steph or today's players are soft, it's just the game has changed. It's guard oriented. Reggie played in the day of the dominant center.
Regardless, what I'd pay to see if it were possible would be Steph vs. 'The Answer'. As good as Steph is, I think AI would eat him for lunch if both are in their primes. AI was a defensive and offensive nightmare for the opposing players.
Steph is significantly better than Reggie. If Steph was more selfish he could easily average over 30 imo

Reaction Score
Right. Reggie and Klay are stylistically very similar. Reggie dropped in today's game would be a better version of Klay but he wouldn't turn into Harden or Steph or any of these new age playmakers who handle the ball all night and run a thousand high PnRs.
He wouldn't be a better version of Klay because Klay is a better defender. But other than that, I think that's actually the right comparison.

Reaction Score

Steph is easily the most questionable modern star when you ask "how would this player do in the 90s?". KD, LeBron, Giannis, etc would all be fine. There are some real questions there for Steph. Hand-checking would bother him and he wouldn't be nearly as effective of a player if he couldn't penetrate as much.

The main debate in here has been how Reggie would do today. I can get behind Steph being worse in the 90s, I just can't see Reggie going from 3rd team All-NBA in the 90s to MVP in 2016. You're telling me prime Reggie Miller in 2016 would be so good that he'd beat out LeBron and Kawhi for MVP? Oof.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He wouldn't be a better version of Klay because Klay is a better defender. But other than that, I think that's actually the right comparison.

I've gone back and forth on it. Klay is undoubtedly the better defender, by a pretty wide margin. He gets insanely hot at times, just like Reggie. Reggie has to get more credit for being the #1 on a team that reached five conference finals and made a trip to the Finals. Klay has never been the #1 guy. Everything changes when the opposing team's main goal is stopping you.

Reaction Score
Three times. His whole career. One of which he only made because Jordan played 17 games.

Reggie not getting all NBA in 94 and 97 was ridiculous. He lost out to guys like Mark Price, Mitch Richmond, Kevin Johnson, and Latrell Sprewell. Reggie was better and Pacers were better.

In 1999 when Pacers were the #2 seed in East and went to ECF, Reggie didn’t get in and in 2000 when Reggie led his team to the finals he didn’t make a team. Nobody on the Pacers made it. Sad.

Reaction Score
I also think a supporting cast of Klay, Green, Igoudala, Barnes, briefly Durant, Livingston... is better than Smits, Jackson, McKey, an aged Chris Mullin and Fred Hoiberg

Reaction Score
I also think a supporting cast of Klay, Green, Igoudala, Barnes, briefly Durant, Livingston... is better than Smits, Jackson, McKey, an aged Chris Mullin and Fred Hoiberg
All Reggie had to do was run off picks, catch and shoot. What does Chris Mullin's age have to do with it?

So what Curry plays on a better team? He had more responsibilities than Miller. He has to distribute, score, and handle the ball.

You'd expect a PG to have more assists than a SG. He does.

But he also shoots at a higher percentage than that SG. On top of that, despite the height disadvantage, he grabs more rebounds, and just for good measure he grabs more steals.

So seeing Steph come out better in just about every individual category, please tell me why it matters that Chris Mullin was on the back end of his career?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All Reggie had to do was run off picks, catch and shoot. What does Chris Mullin's age have to do with it?

So what Curry plays on a better team? He had more responsibilities than Miller. He has to distribute, score, and handle the ball.

Yeah. "Distribute". Does that include the times he dribbles, passes it to Kevin Durant and watches the best scorer in the game put up 35?

Reaction Score
Yeah. "Distribute". Does that include the times he dribbles, passes it to Kevin Durant and watches the best scorer in the game put up 35?
The point is Steph is a better ball-handler and passer.

It's telling that in order to "prove" Reggie is better, you have to stay away from individual comparisons, and talk about their teammates.

It's even more telling that in your response to me, you didn't bother to quote or address the part showing Steph is a better defender and rebounder.

Ignore the assists.... Steph still averaged more, shot better, rebounded better, and got more steals.

Reaction Score
Its funny how whenever people compare the Goat Lebron to MJ they always bring up finals wins but we got people in the chat saying no rings, worse passer, worse shooter Reggie Miller is better than Steph Curry.

You cannot make this stuff up.

Reaction Score
The point is Steph is a better ball-handler and passer.

It's telling that in order to "prove" Reggie is better, you have to stay away from individual comparisons, and talk about their teammates.

It's even more telling that in your response to me, you didn't bother to quote or address the part showing Steph is a better defender and rebounder.

Ignore the assists.... Steph still averaged more, shot better, rebounded better, and got more steals.

Could Currys numbers maybe be better because guards rebound more generally due to 3s having longer caroms? Just a thought.

Reaction Score
Could Currys numbers maybe be better because guards rebound more generally due to 3s having longer caroms? Just a thought.
Guards rebound more than who?

1) Miller was also a guard
2) Miller is 4 inches taller than Steph.

Could that be an advantage?

(Steph also averages more steals while being asked to do more on offense).

Reaction Score
You’re doing some impressive gymnastics here. I don’t even believe Reggie would agree with you

Reaction Score
Reggie not getting all NBA in 94 and 97 was ridiculous. He lost out to guys like Mark Price, Mitch Richmond, Kevin Johnson, and Latrell Sprewell. Reggie was better and Pacers were better.

In 1999 when Pacers were the #2 seed in East and went to ECF, Reggie didn’t get in and in 2000 when Reggie led his team to the finals he didn’t make a team. Nobody on the Pacers made it. Sad.

The Pacers had 47 wins and were the 6 seed in the East.

Reggie's stats: 19-3-3

Latrell Sprewell's Warriors had 50 wins. His stats: 21-5-4
Mitch Richmond's Kings were a 28 win team, but he averaged 23-3-4
Kevin Johnson's Suns were a 56 win team and he averaged 20-2.5-9.5
Mark Price's Cavs won 47 games and he averaged 17-3-8

Sprewell being first team was egregious and dumb, but I don't think any are egregious selections over Reggie.

The Pacers missed the playoffs with 39 wins.

Reggie's stats: 21.5-3.5-3

Tim Hardaway's Heat won 61 games. 20-3.5-8.5
Glen Rice's Hornets won 54 games. 27-4-2
Grant Hill's Pistons won 54 games: 21.5-9-7.5
Mitch Richmond's Kings won 34 games: 26-4-4

Maybe Sprewell or Richmond in 1994 you have an argument with. Even then, he's only in filling a Jordan gap. That's sort of it. Peak Kevin Johnson was better than peak Reggie. There. I said it.

Who are you putting him ahead of in the guards or forwards? The only potential choice was Tim Hardaway, whose team won as many games as Reggie's did and who averaged 1 point fewer with far more assists and more rebounds.

Reaction Score
Not sure why all of the Miller hate, I 'was' a Knick fan when Reggie kept destroying them. He was a great shooter and is certainly deserving of the HOF. Our own Rip admired Reggie's game, so much so he emulated it.

Reggie was a jerk on the court, but he was a great shooter and player.

Just saying a HOF'er is a proven commodity and earned the highest honor. So to me when comparing positional players (G,F,C) are close the HOFer wins the tie breaker. With that said Curry should win the argument when his career ends. But until then I will give Reggie his props, and continually await as Curry continues to prove it.

Reaction Score
Not sure why all of the Miller hate, I 'was' a Knick fan when Reggie kept destroying them. He was a great shooter and is certainly deserving of the HOF. Our own Rip admired Reggie's game, so much so he emulated it.

Reggie was a jerk on the court, but he was a great shooter and player.

Just saying a HOF'er is a proven commodity and earned the highest honor. So to me when comparing positional players (G,F,C) are close the HOFer wins the tie breaker. With that said Curry should win the argument when his career ends. But until then I will give Reggie his props, and continually await as Curry continues to prove it.
Where's the hate?

He's a deserving HOFer. He's just not better than Drexler, Ray, Payton, McGrady or Pierce.

Reaction Score
Where's the hate?

He's a deserving HOFer. He's just not better than Drexler, Ray, Payton, McGrady or Pierce.

Reggie was better than Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and T-Mac.

Reaction Score
Guards rebound more than who?

1) Miller was also a guard
2) Miller is 4 inches taller than Steph.

Could that be an advantage?

(Steph also averages more steals while being asked to do more on offense).

Guards now rebound more than they have in the past because the prevalence of the 3 kicks out longer rebound opportunities. On a team that wasn't even 3 reliant, Vital led the Huskies this year at SG.

No more Moses Malone plodding and camping in the paint for 16 RPG.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom