Regarding Tennessee, What Would You Prefer To See The Most? | The Boneyard

Regarding Tennessee, What Would You Prefer To See The Most?

W/ regards to tennessee's future, which would you prefer

• get back to the top of WCBB and challenge UCONN every year

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • status quo - recruit well but remain behind UCONN

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • see minor drop but stay around the top 10

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • fall to 2nd or 3rd in SEC but still stay in top 25

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • completely fall out of top 25

Votes: 14 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i think i'd prefer to see them remain in the top 25 and fall to 2nd or 3rd in the SEC. that would keep their fans forever hopeful but devastate them as they aren't able to climb back to the top... more likely than not they drop after Pat retires. but until then...

Reaction Score
One or two more runs to the top. Not to say they are not already at or near it. Elite Eight is a good season for most programs.

Despite the present state of affairs between the two programs, Coach Summitt has been very good for and to the game of women's college basketball; Who did not hesitate to fit UConn into their schedule for the Martin Luther King Day game in 1995 when North Carolina refused to do so. And brought Tennessee to Storrs, at that.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
I don't wish anyone ill either. And while I am trying to be careful/sensitive about criticizing Tenn right now for obvious reasons, I am just not interested in that team with the current regime in place. I hope a rivalry blooms with Texas A&M. They can be the Husky's SEC rivalry, for all I am concerned. Another reason I am not concerned about Tenn is because I enjoy the Stanford rivalry which has grown in the last few years IMHO. Rutgers is no longer relevant, and I am not sure Baylor can sustain elite success post Griner.

I know some people here have issues with Maryland, but I love them to be great again. I'd love for intense rivalries to grow among UC0nn, Texas A&M, Maryland and Stanford.

Good poll question. Can't wait for the season to start.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I'm assuming the future means the post Summitt era. While it's tempting to choose the "fall out of the top 25" I think that's mostly a response to the posters on the checkerboard square. Putting that aside, I really don't give a rat's a** about Tennessee.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I would prefer to see less discussion about a team we don't play. And, in this instance, translate less to mean zero.
well then feel free to ignore the posts. some people never cease to amaze me. i would prefer if you just ignored the posts.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
I'm assuming the future means the post Summitt era. While it's tempting to choose the "fall out of the top 25" I think that's mostly a response to the posters on the checkerboard square. Putting that aside, I really don't give a rat's a** about Tennessee.

Falling out of the top 25 would be very hard to do for any team with a decent program and some recruiting "oomph", but I agree, it's a mainly a response to the Summitt posters.

Reaction Score
In pondering what my answer would be to the survey I find my usual difficulty in articulating to myself what it is that I dislike so much about the UT program. Going back 20 years or so when the rivalry really became apparent to me, I found every game with UT became a primal morality play of good versus evil. However I love the state of Tennessee; the campus is beautiful, and I certainly have nothing but very high regard for the players on the court. It always comes down to some intangible factor of the coach or the coaching style that I can't identify to my liking. So my response is that I would be happy if they disappeared from view until a new coach is in place and then I would love to have them back in the race. As I posted earlier, from personal experience I feel deeply for what Pat is facing, but that doesn't change my feelings about her style up to this point.

Reaction Score
It's not just Kibitzer. Not everyone is comfortable with what they view as a TN obsession on the part of a few posters, and we're hearing about it.

It was a major rivalry. In fact, it was the rivalry of WCB. Just as it would take quite awhile for a program like Tenn to drop out of the top 25 the same could be said of them being a topic of discussion on this forum.

Reaction Score
Someone intentionally attempts to harm Uconn and I put them on my list of "if someone has to lose in the 1st round of the NCAA's as defending champ I hope they do" list. Not interested in reading about their successes, but got some news about one of their failures, I'll be there to read it.

Reaction Score
Let us make believe that there are a miniscule # of people who have any vested feelings/interest in what is going on with Tenn;) Since no one follows what is going there,no one would be aware of anything that is said on their board,the fact that we go after many of the same recruits etal
The fact that we are wanting to have more National Championships than any other team and that they happen to stand in our way,doesn't interest anyone:p

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
No matter what each of us thinks about Tenn and their Women's Basketball Program, they are important to further grow WBB. The Lady Vols are a great program and have an even greater fan base. Like UConn, when Tenn plays a team they normally don't play, that team usually breaks their previous individual game attendance record. Also for the teams they play outside of the SEC, the game against Tenn draws the largest crowd for the season. If that team has home games against Tenn and UConn in the same year, the attendance for both games are similar.

The Lady Vols are a big draw and their demise would hurt WBB.

Now with that said, I wouldn't mind if they never won another National Championship while Geno continues to win them. :)

Reaction Score
No matter what each of us thinks about Tenn and their Women's Basketball Program, they are important to further grow WBB. The Lady Vols are a great program and have an even greater fan base. Like UConn, when Tenn plays a team they normally don't play, that team usually breaks their previous individual game attendance record. Also for the teams they play outside of the SEC, the game against Tenn draws the largest crowd for the season. If that team has home games against Tenn and UConn in the same year, the attendance for both games are similar.

The Lady Vols are a big draw and their demise would hurt WBB.

Now with that said, I wouldn't mind if they never won another National Championship while Geno continues to win them. :)

Not true. Someone is always there to pick up the space or push you off the top. Seems WCBB has gotten over La Tech and Texas not being at the top.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
While Tenn is important in WCBB, I have little interest in them. They play in a less than dominant conference.

I do not wish Pat ill. I sincerely hope her health condition is kept in check.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
UConn and Tennessee have combined to win 15 of the last 25 national titles, including 8 of the last 12. They are the two biggest problems in the history of the sport, both coached by iconic figures.

And because of a highly publicized decsion, the two schools no longer play one another in the regular season.

Naturally, there is going to be some discussion of one program on the other program's board. I see TN posts here; I see UConn posts on the Summitt.

I think it becomes obsessive when one board takes one post by one poster and uses it to form opinions as to all fans of that particular fanbase. It also becomes obsessive when one board accuses a journalist of bias (even going so far as to change a Wikipedia profile) because of a comment made in favor of one program or against another (or at least perceived to be against another).

I do not believe the poll is part of an obsession. But I happen to personally know the person who initiated this thread, having met him in person on a few occasions and spoken to him on the phone several times. I think it is just an objective question posed by a fan of one of the two most storied programs about the other.

And yes, I voted in the poll.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Rivalries are good for sports. Programs can come and go, but rivalries take time to develop. UConn-Stanford or UConn-Baylor are akin to the kinds of rivalries that pop up in pro sports and then go away once one or more of the teams fall off (like Pats-Colts, Knicks-Heat, etc.). One of the reasons why college football has such a passionate fanbase is because of the Red River Shootout, the Iron Bowl, Ohio State-Michigan, etc.

The one rivalry in WCBB that had tradition, a lot at stake, recurrence, and was played between programs where the sport had genuine and widespread regional passion, was UConn-Tennessee. No one can deny this. WCBB is a big deal in CT. It's a big deal in Knoxville. Sure, there are devotees and will be big crowds in Palo Alto or Waco, but it's not really a big deal there. Not like UConn or Tennessee.

I want the rivalry game back, I want a lot to be at stake when the teams meet up, and I want UConn to kick Tennessee's ass. It's really that simple.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I agree. The sport still isn't in the mainstream enough to stop big rivalry games. I would love to see them play at least once a year again. I bet the players would, too. I'm sure most of them know each other from AAU, high school or USA basketball.

Plus, who doesn't want to see another UConn player punching something orange? I know I do...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Personally, I couldn't be more tired of Tennessee and Tennessee topics. I acknowledge Cam's point that the LVs are a national power in wcbb but it's one that's not relevant to UConn or the Big East, except for the occasional RU-Tenn or ND-Tenn tilt.

I hope LV fans don't take this as my discouraging them from posting here or discussing their team. It's just that on those days when I see 2, 3 or more posts on Tennessee littering the Boneyard, I will admit I roll my eyes.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Personally, I couldn't be more tired of Tennessee and Tennessee topics. I acknowledge Cam's point that the LVs are a national power in wcbb but it's one that's not relevant to UConn or the Big East, except for the occasional RU-Tenn or ND-Tenn tilt.

I hope LV fans don't take this as my discouraging them from posting here or discussing their team. It's just that on those days when I see 2, 3 or more posts on Tennessee littering the Boneyard, I will admit I roll my eyes.
I don't mind the give and take with Tennessee fans. I kinda like it. And it's been civil enough that no one is asking them to leave, as I see on other boards with visitors.

I do get tired of thread started to discuss the downfall of the Tennessee program, their recruiting issues (if any) and the chortling (is that a word?) whenever they don't get a recruit. It's a bad reflection on the other fans here.

Yes, I can ignore those threads, and I do for the most part. It's still annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom