Refs and Announcers | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Refs and Announcers

Reaction Score
As far as the refs and announcers go....
Yeah, the refs sucked. So many call “cosmetic” fouls and overlook the real ones. The rules were developed to eliminate undue advantage not to support the whistle manufacturers. (IAABO HS official, 10 years) Boston butting Edwards across the baseline.... no advantage, no foul?... seriously?
For those who complain about the announcers, yes, they’re not very good. But as a Univ of AZ alum, I’ve got Bill Walton on the Pac12 net. Try him sometime. I turn the sound off.
Not to forget that she the shuffled her feet before getting the shot off.

Reaction Score
The reason I like watching the games on SNY and (usually) ESPN is that they generally have a play-by-play announcer and a color commentator. Not two color commentators like FS1 had Tuesday. Unfortunately I'm too far away to get the Connecticut radio broadcasts.
Unfortunately, the FS1 broadcast was behind the radio broadcast by a good 5 to 7 seconds on YouTube TV making it impossible to listen to the radio. Even when I had Frontier there was always a significant enough delay to render the radio option moot.

Reaction Score
formalhut: "...Unfortunately I'm too far away to get the Connecticut radio broadcasts."

I don't watch TV (i do have a fast net connection) so i listen to all games via the TuneIn app available from the UConn site. You should be able to hear the games from anywhere on the planet that has an ISP. Here's the link for tonight's game:

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Not to forget that she the shuffled her feet before getting the shot off.

As far as the refs and announcers go....
Yeah, the refs sucked. So many call “cosmetic” fouls and overlook the real ones. The rules were developed to eliminate undue advantage not to support the whistle manufacturers. (IAABO HS official, 10 years) Boston butting Edwards across the baseline.... no advantage, no foul?... seriously?
For those who complain about the announcers, yes, they’re not very good. But as a Univ of AZ alum, I’ve got Bill Walton on the Pac12 net. Try him sometime. I turn the sound off.
Sad but true ,Walton is by far the worst, don't know why he keeps his gig. I think the only one who enjoys his work is him. I rush to change the channel if I unfortunately land on a game he is butchering.

Reaction Score
I would like to qualify my statement by saying i LOVE to watch the games (usually posted by one of the BYers the next day). Being 74, i suppose i have learned to appreciate delayed gratification... ;-)

Reaction Score
By rule, a legal screen requires the screeners feet to be no more that shoulders width apart. I agree that rule is often ignored, but I cant complain when the rules are being properly enforced (and yes, UConn players often spread their feet too far apart when setting screens).

That said, the officials let Boston get away with at least 3 obvious fouls that would have resulted in her taking a seat on the bench. If the ref's are going to be sticklers about adhering to the rules as written they need to be consistent across the board.
Here's the key. How many times did the SC players set a pick with their legs wider than their shoulders in that game? How many were they called for? 0. I'm all for enforcing the rules of the game evenly, not selectively. Generally speaking though, so far this year in the bigger games, the refs have been inadequate which is a polite way of saying lousy. Watch the game tonight and count the number of "too wide" picks on both teams. Use a calculator. Your fingers and toes will not be enough.

Reaction Score
Was that the play that she also traveled AND a teammate illegally screened Liv? A 3-fer!! If it wasn't that one, there was definitely another play that SC got the 3-fer on with Boston.

I will always have a spot in my heart for Walton as a the incredible 6th man on my '86 Celtics (maybe the best 6th man ever). I actually think the way he talks is funny IN SHORT DOSES - he's like a comedian doing an impression of Bill Walton. BUT listening to him for the 2+ hours of a broadcast... no. I sympathize.
Walton did a UConn game many years ago and I found his commentary entertaining and unique. He does ramble on and I can see how he could get annoying but at least he makes honest unscripted observations.

Reaction Score
I've become accustomed to watching the games on "mute." So I was happily oblivious as to the quality of the announcers. As far as the referees are concerned I mumbled to myself on numerous occasions that they were "sending women's game back 30 years." Terrible considering it was a #1 vs #2 matchup.

Reaction Score
I watched the game for a second time and I enjoyed muting the announcers! Much better that way,

Reaction Score
Given work demands, I usually DVR the game but listen live to the UCONN radio feed via TuneIn ~ greatly enjoy Bob Joyce’s approach. He knows the history of the program and calls a great game; nothing extraneous.

As for the refs the other night, I thought they were a bit sensitive to accommodating Coach Staley.

Reaction Score
You can crush them all you want, but the two best announcers of UConn games were Doris Burke and Dave O'Brien. They talked about the game, it's intricacies, and they made the game interesting!
I liked Stacy Dales and Kara Lawson BEST!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice Biographical piece on Meghan

Last edited:

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
By rule, a legal screen requires the screeners feet to be no more that shoulders width apart. I agree that rule is often ignored, but I cant complain when the rules are being properly enforced (and yes, UConn players often spread their feet too far apart when setting screens).

That said, the officials let Boston get away with at least 3 obvious fouls that would have resulted in her taking a seat on the bench. If the ref's are going to be sticklers about adhering to the rules as written they need to be consistent across the board.
The inside of the feet shoulder width, so the stance can be legally wider than the shoulders.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Had on the Georgia game yesterday, Famous carried on telling a story about Georgia coach Taylor when she played for Andy Landers, what she learned. A minute later, after someone got in her ear, had to retract Taylor played at Alabama.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Since we are on announcers, over used, some dumb cliches
"She/he can shoot a 3"- They all can some better than others
"Just picked up foul #?, must come out"- nope coach makes that decision
The now overused "passed up a good shot for a great shot"
"She/he can run" again they all can
There are many more

Reaction Score
Hated her as a player (Tenn.), got use to her as a member of the Connecticut Sun, and loved her as a game analyst and studio host.
She and Stacy Dales were my favourite combo .. I thought Stacy was slightly better than Kara, but their chemistry was gr8!

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
Have to say, I really enjoyed Roy Philpott and Brooke Weisbrod calling the semi-final and final of the AAC Tournament last year. Best I'd heard in awhile.

Reaction Score
It's fairly easy to fix the announcer problem:

1. Have only ONE announcer

2. Make sure it is an intelligent person
I have a simple remedy. If 'Babbling' , I simply turn off the audio, while recording the game. Most of the games I watch are in silence. Can always come back & check, if I missed a play or announcement.

Reaction Score
Ryan Rucco who called last nights game is in Florida calling Yankee spring training game right now. Oh to be young again!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom