Refs and Announcers | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Refs and Announcers

Reaction Score
This was a competitive, if poorly played, game. It reminded me of the very physical battles that raged between Rutgers and Uconn in the "old" Big East. I thought that Uconn, particularly Griffin, Muhl and Edwards, played hard-nosed and physically. It was a great win, reflective of how the Freshmen have started to "grow up." BUT, we must also confront the reality that, if Uconn faces South Carolina again, there is absolutely no way that Paige scores 30+ points. That leaves Coach with some work to do.

She may not get 30+ - but how about 28 and another victory for UCONN? :)

She's the best player in wcbb. What can they do? OFC she can have an off-night. But how do you stop a bigger type of guard who is so adept at both catch-and-shoot, and putting the ball on the floor, and taking mid-range jumpers? SC has two SMALL guards. And their bigs sag in the paint.

SC's supposed best defender was well rested while Paige played every single minute and still torched her. IMO SC has a lot of work to do in their next matchup trying to contain the best player in wcbb.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whether our favorite team loses, or, as on Monday, wins a tight game, one inevitable and unrelentingly tiresome consequence of such an event will be the emergence of the usual chorus of complaint about all of the “blown” calls delivered by the referees. It’s as though all the missed open shots, the defensive lapses, the rebounding woes, and the mental mistakes cease to matter…”the damn refs cost us the game,” or, “we woulda won by more except for the refs!” With Notre Dame fans in mind, I have long labeled this exercise as the ultimate losers’ lament, though, as our Board suggests, we UConn fans are far from immune to this practice ourselves.

It’s not that egregious calls do not exist, as they did on Monday, nor that they have no impact on any given game’s outcome…they do, of course. It’s not that there aren’t more skilled and less skilled practitioners of the art…there certainly are! But all the whining misses the point entirely. Skilled or not, referees are an essential element of the game. Games cannot be contested without them. They are, alas, human, and inevitably flawed. In every sport, but especially in basketball, and especially in “physical” games, most every call they make is highly subjective, so that one’s assessment of their relative correctness is mainly a function of for which team one happens to be rooting. The essential point then is that refereeing, both good and bad, has to be accepted by fans as simply part of the game – a part without which we cannot do so long as games exist.

I’m sure there are times when individual refs are guilty of going beyond making horrible calls, when they, alas, place their thumb on the scale, one way or another. None of us know how often this happens, but my guess is that such instances are rare. They simply make demonstrably terrible calls without bias. Modern technology employed by certain sports successfully helps cut down on, but far from eliminates, such instances, but there’s no way for this to be applied to basketball…is it a charge or a blocking foul? Instant replay ain’t gonna help. The refs, who we know are flawed going in, will be the sole arbiters…just part of the game we must accept. Whining about it is hopelessly pointless. Better to focus on all the other factors that go into a win or a loss!

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
A+. She’s horrible. Every game she does is one-sided against us. Didn’t recognize her with her mask, but I did mention to my wife that some refs just need to be the center of attention... and sure enough, there’s DK.
Dee goes for exuberance with her calls, which is funny because she is so often trying to promote a bad call.

Reaction Score
Not sure it is just me or not? From SNY to Fox Sport I see a live game always 20-25 secs late than the actual score. With FS1 direct live stream I don't see this problem and sometime the ESPN score was late than the live stream.
No just you. I like to watch the games with my iPad open to live stats so I can follow the stats. There is often a 3-5 second lag for the broadcast. Since I watch the games with my mother she thinks I am a savant when I say “we need a three” and lo and behold we sink one. Or “we need a block” and Liv swats one. I finally had to let her in on the secret.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
No big game commentary would be complete without ref and announcer gripes, amirite?

Both were pretty bad.

The announcers apparently went to the Andy Landers pronunciation guide for Liv's name. The "color" person repeatedly shared an insightful "mmmmmm" in response to the action. I have not bothered to look her up but she was also WAY more familiar with SC than UConn. As usual, basic game-calling skills like identifying who the foul was on and how many they have was lost in the chat-fest most times. Makes me appreciate the Celtics' Mike Gorman all the more. A true pro who DOES do his homework, he did a few Sun games with Rebecca years ago and was great.

There were some calls and no-calls both ways that were inexplicable. In general Boston got away with a lot. Travels, high elbows, charges, you name it. In retribution, with SC up by 1, about a minute left to go in OT, and 15 seconds on the shot clock, the basketball gods whispered in her ear, "Aliyah, time for the big girl to launch that killer step-back three".

Dawn was like...

Come On Reaction GIF
I guess it is all in your perspective. That step back three clunker was my pick for shot of the game. ;):oops:

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
The reason I like watching the games on SNY and (usually) ESPN is that they generally have a play-by-play announcer and a color commentator. Not two color commentators like FS1 had Tuesday. Unfortunately I'm too far away to get the Connecticut radio broadcasts.
@fomalhaut you can try internet radio to get the radio broadcasts. It has worked for me in Alabama. :)

Reaction Score
No big game commentary would be complete without ref and announcer gripes, amirite?

Both were pretty bad.

The announcers apparently went to the Andy Landers pronunciation guide for Liv's name. The "color" person repeatedly shared an insightful "mmmmmm" in response to the action. I have not bothered to look her up but she was also WAY more familiar with SC than UConn. As usual, basic game-calling skills like identifying who the foul was on and how many they have was lost in the chat-fest most times. Makes me appreciate the Celtics' Mike Gorman all the more. A true pro who DOES do his homework, he did a few Sun games with Rebecca years ago and was great.

There were some calls and no-calls both ways that were inexplicable. In general Boston got away with a lot. Travels, high elbows, charges, you name it. In retribution, with SC up by 1, about a minute left to go in OT, and 15 seconds on the shot clock, the basketball gods whispered in her ear, "Aliyah, time for the big girl to launch that killer step-back three".

Dawn was like...

Come On Reaction GIF

Both were pretty bad.

Dawn was like...

Come On Reaction GIF
Nice post. Love the emoji. Ugly game but I liked the outcome.
UConn’s future appears to be Paige, Nika, Aubry and Edwards; the fighters. Azzi next year? The rest are what they are: good kids, pretty good ballplayers that show up sometimes. If enough show up this year, UConn could make a nice run. Can Paige, a frosh, motivate them enough? Is ONO ever going to be a Tina Charles? Nope. Will DeBerry be next year? No evidence from her videos.

Reaction Score
UConn’s future appears to be Paige, Nika, Aubry and Edwards; the fighters. Azzi next year? The rest are what they are: good kids, pretty good ballplayers that show up sometimes. If enough show up this year, UConn could make a nice run. Can Paige, a frosh, motivate them enough? Is ONO ever going to be a Tina Charles? Nope. Will DeBerry be next year? No evidence from her videos.
As far as the refs and announcers go....
Yeah, the refs sucked. So many call “cosmetic” fouls and overlook the real ones. The rules were developed to eliminate undue advantage not to support the whistle manufacturers. (IAABO HS official, 10 years) Boston butting Edwards across the baseline.... no advantage, no foul?... seriously?
For those who complain about the announcers, yes, they’re not very good. But as a Univ of AZ alum, I’ve got Bill Walton on the Pac12 net. Try him sometime. I turn the sound off.

Reaction Score
One thing I did notice about the refs was that they totally ignored a potential foul if the recipient flopped. There were a ton of flops and none were called. About half of them involved an actual foul that the player was trying to sell. One I really remember involved Edwards flying out across the baseline. Had Mir played she would have been ineffective as she would have spent tons of time on the floor with no calls in her favor. BTW I color this as about the only positive for those refs.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
As far as the refs and announcers go....
Yeah, the refs sucked. So many call “cosmetic” fouls and overlook the real ones. The rules were developed to eliminate undue advantage not to support the whistle manufacturers. (IAABO HS official, 10 years) Boston butting Edwards across the baseline.... no advantage, no foul?... seriously?
For those who complain about the announcers, yes, they’re not very good. But as a Univ of AZ alum, I’ve got Bill Walton on the Pac12 net. Try him sometime. I turn the sound off.
Was that the play that she also traveled AND a teammate illegally screened Liv? A 3-fer!! If it wasn't that one, there was definitely another play that SC got the 3-fer on with Boston.

I will always have a spot in my heart for Walton as a the incredible 6th man on my '86 Celtics (maybe the best 6th man ever). I actually think the way he talks is funny IN SHORT DOSES - he's like a comedian doing an impression of Bill Walton. BUT listening to him for the 2+ hours of a broadcast... no. I sympathize.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
So you think Westbrook, Poffenbarger, Ducharme, Makurat and McClean are just pretty good ballplayers? As I posted in another thread, show me a player that shows up all the time. Even Diana did not do that.

Reaction Score
Those commentators were the worst, especially the one favoring the Gamecocks. I'll actually enjoy the coverage tonight!

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I thought the refs did not do a good job last night. Fans in general will not like the refs no matter what but usually accept they did OK if there was an even amount of calls on both sides and that the calls are consistant and don't interfere with the game flow for the most part. None of that happened last night so therefore the did not do a good job at least in the minds of anyone subjected to watching them. As for the announcers or whatever you wish to label them as I didn't notice anything horrible other tha I could not understand why they seemed so biased against UConn. UConn is the Fox sports school not SC so one would think any bias would be the other way. I jut re-watched the game and listened this time and wow were they one sided. Weird. They had virtually no real knowledge of UConn players or style but were very informed on SC (and really loved Boston). Offended me way more on the second hearing. I would have expected that from a home team telecast but think SNY tries to be a bit more fair (sometimes frustrating me :rolleyes:).
It only took me the first time through to wanna choke them, my second time watching I wanted to see them at the bottom of a "Boston" cream pie. As for SNY's commentator Meg, while I do expect her to be a homer, for obvious reasons. What I can't stomach is her constantly contradicting herself, failure to see the game as is, {example against Mar, when AE got clocked in the mouth Meg had no idea what had happened spending too much time talking about who knows what] enough I'm getting irrational just thinking about her.

Reaction Score
I'll forgo complaining about the refs as ref issues are, with few exceptions, every sport and every game, and are just part of the natural order of things.

There is an issue with women's basketball announcers that have annoyed me for a good while and this seems like a good thread to vent. Many, not all but many of the announcers feel obliged to call every good play (and a good many everyday plays) in ALL CAPS, bolded, and ending with multiple !!!!!s. Watch men's games, college or pro, and the announcers pretty much accept that the players can do amazing things on a regular basis and save the superlatives for the truly superlative plays. On the women's side it is an incessant Gee Whiz style of announcing - THAT's A 3!!!! or and she gets fouled and goes to the line!!!! or she gets the block!!!! Is it just trying to hype women's basketball or are the announcers watching their first game? Not only is it annoying but strikes me as somewhat insulting to the athletes. It's as if they feel obliged to let us know that women can play basketball really well. Yeah, we get it. Calm down, please.

Reaction Score
Funny. You nailed it but as to the announcers I think there is a larger problem that happens when we and others play on national networks. I think there is a systemic and insulting perspective that the women's game isn't entertaining or interesting enough stand alone. In other words, a pervasive belief that we need moronic, irrelevant monologue so we won't get bored. In my mind, it is a subtle form of prejudice. That game wasn't enough to keep you tuned in? Are you kidding me? As to the refs, they usually have to show they are so good by calling absurd fouls like the one on Aubrey because her feet were too far apart on a screen. Not that she was moving, just that her feet were too open compared to her shoulders. I guess the refs have special training for judging distances and points of comparison in the human anatomy visually. They need however a primer on what constitutes a foul as well on a shot. Geno was pretty pointed in his usual roundabout way in his presser about the calls.
I echo the complement. There were about 10 changes of possession ( mostly where UCONN lost the ball) that went completely unexplained. UConn would cross half court in possession, setting up their offense and...suddenly...it was SC's ball. WTF? No explanation...likley because the announcers had no clue either. Also, when a network ( like FS1 ) does a women's game, there is never a pre or post game session...no commentary whatsoever. They give much more priority to the awaiting mens game, even if it is Rhode Island vs Central Tennessee.

Reaction Score
Whether our favorite team loses, or, as on Monday, wins a tight game, one inevitable and unrelentingly tiresome consequence of such an event will be the emergence of the usual chorus of complaint about all of the “blown” calls delivered by the referees. It’s as though all the missed open shots, the defensive lapses, the rebounding woes, and the mental mistakes cease to matter…”the damn refs cost us the game,” or, “we woulda won by more except for the refs!” With Notre Dame fans in mind, I have long labeled this exercise as the ultimate losers’ lament, though, as our Board suggests, we UConn fans are far from immune to this practice ourselves.

It’s not that egregious calls do not exist, as they did on Monday, nor that they have no impact on any given game’s outcome…they do, of course. It’s not that there aren’t more skilled and less skilled practitioners of the art…there certainly are! But all the whining misses the point entirely. Skilled or not, referees are an essential element of the game. Games cannot be contested without them. They are, alas, human, and inevitably flawed. In every sport, but especially in basketball, and especially in “physical” games, most every call they make is highly subjective, so that one’s assessment of their relative correctness is mainly a function of for which team one happens to be rooting. The essential point then is that refereeing, both good and bad, has to be accepted by fans as simply part of the game – a part without which we cannot do so long as games exist.

I’m sure there are times when individual refs are guilty of going beyond making horrible calls, when they, alas, place their thumb on the scale, one way or another. None of us know how often this happens, but my guess is that such instances are rare. They simply make demonstrably terrible calls without bias. Modern technology employed by certain sports successfully helps cut down on, but far from eliminates, such instances, but there’s no way for this to be applied to basketball…is it a charge or a blocking foul? Instant replay ain’t gonna help. The refs, who we know are flawed going in, will be the sole arbiters…just part of the game we must accept. Whining about it is hopelessly pointless. Better to focus on all the other factors that go into a win or a loss!
I dont disagree with much you said. Fans complain far too often about the refs. It’s a tough job.
HOWEVER.. Anyone who has watched UCONN women’s games over the years knows that Dee Kantner is a problem. I frankly don't know if she is just incompetent, inconsistent or has a problem with Geno or UCONN for some reason. Next time you see Dee as the ref in a UCONN game, please watch her closely As I have over many games, including a number in the final four.

Reaction Score
It only took me the first time through to wanna choke them, my second time watching I wanted to see them at the bottom of a "Boston" cream pie. As for SNY's commentator Meg, while I do expect her to be a homer, for obvious reasons. What I can't stomach is her constantly contradicting herself, failure to see the game as is, {example against Mar, when AE got clocked in the mouth Meg had no idea what had happened spending too much time talking about who knows what] enough I'm getting irrational just thinking about her.
But we are fortunate to finally have a play-by-play announcer on SNY. Bestwick is outstanding. I really try not to listen to Culmo, and when she does her tele-strator I close my eyes.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
But we are fortunate to finally have a play-by-play announcer on SNY. Bestwick is outstanding. I really try not to listen to Culmo, and when she does her tele-strator I close my eyes.
That's the way I see it as well. We could do much better than Culmo, I guess we could also do worse, but an upgrade would be nice.

Reaction Score
Funny. You nailed it but as to the announcers I think there is a larger problem that happens when we and others play on national networks. I think there is a systemic and insulting perspective that the women's game isn't entertaining or interesting enough stand alone. In other words, a pervasive belief that we need moronic, irrelevant monologue so we won't get bored. In my mind, it is a subtle form of prejudice. That game wasn't enough to keep you tuned in? Are you kidding me? As to the refs, they usually have to show they are so good by calling absurd fouls like the one on Aubrey because her feet were too far apart on a screen. Not that she was moving, just that her feet were too open compared to her shoulders. I guess the refs have special training for judging distances and points of comparison in the human anatomy visually. They need however a primer on what constitutes a foul as well on a shot. Geno was pretty pointed in his usual roundabout way in his presser about the calls.

By rule, a legal screen requires the screeners feet to be no more that shoulders width apart. I agree that rule is often ignored, but I cant complain when the rules are being properly enforced (and yes, UConn players often spread their feet too far apart when setting screens).

That said, the officials let Boston get away with at least 3 obvious fouls that would have resulted in her taking a seat on the bench. If the ref's are going to be sticklers about adhering to the rules as written they need to be consistent across the board.

Reaction Score
This was a competitive, if poorly played, game. It reminded me of the very physical battles that raged between Rutgers and Uconn in the "old" Big East. I thought that Uconn, particularly Griffin, Muhl and Edwards, played hard-nosed and physically. It was a great win, reflective of how the Freshmen have started to "grow up." BUT, we must also confront the reality that, if Uconn faces South Carolina again, there is absolutely no way that Paige scores 30+ points. That leaves Coach with some work to do.

Poorly played on the offensive end; well played on the defensive end.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom