referee injured during game | The Boneyard

referee injured during game

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I honestly can't remember ever seeing that occur before. With so many knee injuries to players this season, I guess it shouldn't be surprising to have a ref go down with a knee injury as well. That's why they have alternate.

Reaction Score
At the Chicago regional a guy came out to do a fun competition at a timeout and slipped and fell. He had to be helped off the floor

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Yes to ACL. She was running down the sideline when her knee buckled.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
First time I've seen that....gotta feel bad for her. Hope it isn't as bad as it looks.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
When I saw that young woman go down I almost threw up. Non contact injuries are nearly always the worse, as with Gordon Hayward. When I see most injuries on the playing field no matter the team my first response is always, "Come on, please get up". I could see she wasn't getting up soon from that. I wish her the best of all luck in her recovery and I'm sure we all hope to see her back to work soon. I hope it's just a meniscus.

Reaction Score
First time I've seen that....gotta feel bad for her. Hope it isn't as bad as it looks.
Hey at one of the Men's games years ago--a ref died and they scrambled to fill the void. We were told by denouncement at Half time the ref died.

Reaction Score
Any word on the hurt ref? She was taken out in a wheelchair, so I'm thinking the worst unfortunately. On the court she was really in pain.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Ick. I've done ACLs in both knees. I couldn't watch the replay, made the hubby do it. There was another ref many years ago that fell during a game, thought nothing of it, got up and tried to run, and then the knee went all crazy. Horrible. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Back in 2010, in San Antonio, didnt 2 Unconn players crash into a court side photographer and break his leg? I think it was a practice before the game

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Hey at one of the Men's games years ago--a ref died and they scrambled to fill the void. We were told by denouncement at Half time the ref died.

That is absolutely horrible. Heart attack?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
shrug_1f937.png I didn't find any articles on Google. I did see references to a hockey ref dying a week after a collision in a game and a soccer ref dying during a game but not a basketball ref.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
When I saw that young woman go down I almost threw up. Non contact injuries are nearly always the worse, as with Gordon Hayward. When I see most injuries on the playing field no matter the team my first response is always, "Come on, please get up". I could see she wasn't getting up soon from that. I wish her the best of all luck in her recovery and I'm sure we all hope to see her back to work soon. I hope it's just a meniscus.

Comparing the ref's injury to Hayward's is way beyond apples and oranges... more like apples to freakin' planets! If it weren't for surrounding soft tissues, Gordon's foot might have come completely off. He was coming down off a running leap under the basket in traffic, not jogging up the sideline. You could hear the bone break on the audio. I won't post the video out of deference to people who just ate dinner.

Other than that, I agree with you 100%. These games are a big deal for the refs too, and I'm sure she only wanted to go out and call a great game. Probably never anticipated that something like that could happen. Hope she recovers quickly and completely.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Back in 2010, in San Antonio, didnt 2 Unconn players crash into a court side photographer and break his leg? I think it was a practice before the game

I think it was Lorin Dixon and a teammate who were just having fun racing around the court before a game and collided with the guy. Does that sound familiar, or am I just hallucinating?

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I think it was Lorin Dixon and a teammate who were just having fun racing around the court before a game and collided with the guy. Does that sound familiar, or am I just hallucinating?
Yeah I think she was one of the players. It was as they went around a corner of the court.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Comparing the ref's injury to Hayward's is way beyond apples and oranges... more like apples to freakin' planets! If it weren't for surrounding soft tissues, Gordon's foot might have come completely off. He was coming down off a running leap under the basket in traffic, not jogging up the sideline. You could hear the bone break on the audio. I won't post the video out of deference to people who just ate dinner.

Other than that, I agree with you 100%. These games are a big deal for the refs too, and I'm sure she only wanted to go out and call a great game. Probably never anticipated that something like that could happen. Hope she recovers quickly and completely.
Clearly you misunderstood my comment, so I'll restate. "Non contact injuries are nearly always the worse, as with Gordon Hayward('s)". No where did I say, "Non contact injuries are nearly always the worse and this is exactly like Gordon Hayward's injury" How or why you could have possibly misconstrued the two widely disparate comments I'll leave to your own self examination.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

I hope it's 40 years from now, but that's how I'm going to go and it will be at a basketball game, probably while crazily trying to distract on free throws.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Clearly you misunderstood my comment, so I'll restate. "Non contact injuries are nearly always the worse, as with Gordon Hayward('s)". No where did I say, "Non contact injuries are nearly always the worse and this is exactly like Gordon Hayward's injury" How or why you could have possibly misconstrued the two widely disparate comments I'll leave to your own self examination.

Sorry you took my comment so negatively... Might as well point out that Hayward was taken out mid-air by two Cleveland players forcing his upper body backwards and rolling the ankle so severely that the bone snapped. "Non-contact"?

1554617742087.png

How or why you could have possibly conflated these two widely disparate events I'll leave to your own self examination. -30-

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
Sorry you took my comment so negatively... Might as well point out that Hayward was taken out mid-air by two Cleveland players forcing his upper body backwards and rolling the ankle so severely that the bone snapped. "Non-contact"?

View attachment 41986
How or why you could have possibly conflated these two widely disparate events I'll leave to your own self examination. -30-
Yes you're mostly right. I guess it wasn't exactly like Gordon Hayward's. There was however no direct contact with Hayward's ankle or knee with a player. The contact made with both of these injuries occurred with the floor. That is what caused their injuries.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom