Red circle question | The Boneyard

Red circle question

Reaction Score
I've been seeing red circles on the shoulders of both men and women basketball players. What is their significance?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Thanks, I was wondering what was up with the red circles!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
might have to try this out...
My massage therapist has done it to me when I have horrible cramps in my legs. They are excruciatingly painful if the muscle is really tight but, oh, it feels great when the circulation is restored. But, it’s not a spa-like treatment.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You should have seen Michael Phelps' body at the last Olympics. In fact:

1617220779159.png

Reaction Score

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
My son had it done when we took a trip to China. There were about 9 of those on his back, looked like he was attacked by a squid. Never saw anything like it, hope I never will again.

Reaction Score
I thought either a bad basketball tattoo, or cupping. I was favoring the tattoo.

Reaction Score
cupping, my wife has it done every 2 weeks. She swears by it.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
When I was a young sprout (8-10 years old) I discovered that if I took one of our plastic drinking cups and propped it over my lower lip and chin and then sucked a vacuum in the cup real hard it stuck to my chin! What a neat trick. So I went around the house the whole day doing that. I thought I was cool.

The next morning I discovered that my chin was a semicircle of dark purple. I had to go to school like that and get hammered about it by everyone the next day.

I was cupping pioneer.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score

Following the references to the source of the conclusion of the Cedars Sinai article, I note that it was based on a review of studies that concluded that there were too few randomized clinical trials (RCTs) done and that they are of low quality. "...the total number of RCTs included in the analysis and the methodological quality were too low to draw firm conclusions." A bold admission considering that the review was funded by the Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine.

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Following the references to the source of the conclusion to the Cedars Sinai article, I note that it was based on a review of studies that concluded that there were to few randomized clinical trials (RCTs) done and that they are of low quality. "...the total number of RCTs included in the analysis and the methodological quality were too low to draw firm conclusions." A bold admission considering that the review was funded by the Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine.

I wasn't trying to confirm or deny its effectiveness (but Nan says it works for her...), todbo just asked what the red circles were and I answered.

Athletes are entitled to use whatever recovery strategies they want (sans using banned substances), so if they feel like it works for them, then who's to judge?

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I wasn't trying to confirm or deny its effectiveness (but Nan says it works for her...), todbo just asked what the red circles were and I answered.

Athletes are entitled to use whatever recovery strategies they want (sans using banned substances), so if they feel like it works for them, then who's to judge?
I wasn't implying that you were taking any position at all, and my post didn't reference you in any way. IMO, for a hospital and health center, the Cedars Sinai article is oddly accommodating of psuedo-scientific practices (quoting an on-staff acupuncture practitioner), while the Wikipedia article you posted comes off as harshly skeptical of the practice (quoting noted physicians and skeptics). So...

200.gif

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Following the references to the source of the conclusion to the Cedars Sinai article, I note that it was based on a review of studies that concluded that there were too few randomized clinical trials (RCTs) done and that they are of low quality. "...the total number of RCTs included in the analysis and the methodological quality were too low to draw firm conclusions." A bold admission considering that the review was funded by the Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine.
The evidence is anecdoctal but as Argonaut says, it works for me. Rather than using pressure to relieve a muscle spasm or to increase circulation, the cups provide a pulling on the muscle. My massage therapist does it when massaging a pressure point doesn’t work. She’ll also use a muscle stimulator, depending on the issue. It’s all drug free and non-invasive and, hey, can’t hurt to try it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom