Recruits and team so far | The Boneyard

Recruits and team so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Who all is on our radar? UConn is known for developing bigs; arguably the best in the country. Obviously Ollie's situation is hurting, but is that the only reason? The ban shouldn't have an effect anymore because it is this year only.
Wolf needs to be more consistent, because he could be really solid. Olander is just mediocre. He cannot go right, has a decent jumper, and is a okay rebounder/defender at best. Nolan is rail thin and needs to develop and Daniels is out of position. How good is Facey going to be? He seems like Nolan.
It seems like all of our bigs are projects, which is tough. We need a rebounding machine and I know Jeff Adrien's do not grow on trees, but is there a recruit out there like him?

The guards are the team, that is a given. Hopefully Shabazz stays next year or he will be missed dearly. He has played great this year, but still needs to put it all together for a game; easier said than done. Boatright has been up and down this year and is adjusting to his role, but he is delusional if he thinks he is going pro. The only thing he has that could be considered pro worthy is his speed/quickness. Calhoun will be good, just needs time to develop a handle and be a better decision maker. Giffey is a solid player and glue guy, I don't see him doing much more than what he already does. I wish he would. What impact will Samuel have?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
no one until ollie is offered a long term contract, katz said we already lost a big time recruit because of this

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I suspect that Tyler will start looking like a world beater over the next few games. He lacks the athleticism to play against quality post players. I think that explains his typical fast start and end of season fade. We'll see versus Harvard.

Reaction Score
no one until ollie is offered a long term contract, katz said we already lost a big time recruit because of this

Did he say this over the air or in print? I missed this.

caw

Reaction Score
Who all is on our radar? UConn is known for developing bigs; arguably the best in the country. Obviously Ollie's situation is hurting, but is that the only reason? The ban shouldn't have an effect anymore because it is this year only.
Wolf needs to be more consistent, because he could be really solid. Olander is just mediocre. He cannot go right, has a decent jumper, and is a okay rebounder/defender at best. Nolan is rail thin and needs to develop and Daniels is out of position. How good is Facey going to be? He seems like Nolan. It seems like all of our bigs are projects, which is tough. We need a rebounding machine and I know Jeff Adrien's do not grow on trees, but is there a recruit out there like him?

The guards are the team, that is a given. Hopefully Shabazz stays next year or he will be missed dearly. He has played great this year, but still needs to put it all together for a game; easier said than done. Boatright has been up and down this year and is adjusting to his role, but he is delusional if he thinks he is going pro. The only thing he has that could be considered pro worthy is his speed/quickness. Calhoun will be good, just needs time to develop a handle and be a better decision maker. Giffey is a solid player and glue guy, I don't see him doing much more than what he already does. I wish he would. What impact will Samuel have?

JMO but Facey is a bit different from Nolan. Facey is a bit more explosive, from what I have seen and Nolan has a better shot. Both need to get stronger. I think they could actually play next to each other fairly well, if they gain muscle.

Samuel will likely fill the role that Evans is currently playing. I don't know if that will be an upgrade or not next year, more because of the leadership/energy that Evans brings. Samuel has more potential and is a better athlete.

The potential of the team will depend more on internal development than Facey/Samuel, IMO. I don't think either is a game changer as a freshman, though both have a good amount of potential. If Wolf can continue to develop, Boatright settles into being a PG, Napier comes back and plays like he has been (or better), Calhoun works on his shot, Giffey/DD put it together, etc. Decent amount of talent and the added depth will help.

UConn could still add another recruit, but there are only a few game-changing recruits left and UConn isn't really in on any of them, ATM. No other recruit is likely to commit to UConn until the coaching situation is clear.

You also never know who might become available before next year. Montrezl Harrell is a perfect example of a last second recruit, he would have actually been perfect for this team, but didn't seriously consider UConn because of the sanctions. Coaching changes, 5th year seniors, transfers can all change the equation for recruiting.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
2lu97hc.jpg

I posted this awhile ago. Let me know if there are any problems/errors.

caw

Reaction Score
2lu97hc.jpg

I posted this awhile ago. Let me know if there are any problems/errors.

Looks right to me, though I think the recruiting list is off a bit - but it's fluid, so...

I think Allen has been given a scholarship this year and likely will get one next year if UConn doesn't fill it's final two spots in the 2013 class.

I would like to fill at least 1 of those, because with 4 seniors next year, I don't want UConn to have to go after 6+ kids. Though if there was a year for a large recruiting class, 2014 would be ideal.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Anyone know who?

Xavier Rathan-Mayes, Noah Vonleh, Jabari Park (even tho we had a small shot), Chris McCullough, Stevie Clark, Jordan Bell, Isaac Hamilton, and Kuran Iverson....among others. Must I go on haha?

Reaction Score
During broadcast last night, a few times.

Ok, I was at the game. And freescooter and Huskymaniac are really trying to act like the contract isn't an issue, unbelievable.

caw

Reaction Score
Xavier Rathan-Mayes, Noah Vonleh, Jabari Park (even tho we had a small shot), Chris McCullough, Stevie Clark, Jordan Bell, Isaac Hamilton, and Kuran Iverson....among others. Must I go on haha?

I don't think it was McCullough because he is 2014 and has tons of time to decide, if he really wanted to come to UConn.

Also don't think it's Parker, because he still hasn't committed, so technically if he told Ollie he was cutting UConn because of Ollie's contract, UConn could still get in it, if Ollie gets a contract. I don't believe that was the case.

I don't think UConn made a huge push for Iverson or Hamilton.

XRM probably goes to FSU regardless.

I think it was vonleh or austin

Them or Bell.

caw

Reaction Score
Ok, I was at the game. And freescooter and Huskymaniac are really trying to act like the contract isn't an issue, unbelievable.

Edit: My mistake, I'm not sure that was Katz, I wasn't really focusing on the announcers, but if it wasn't him it was one of the other announcers/analysts at the game.

Either way it was mentioned a few times during the game.

Reaction Score

UConn stopped pursuing Clark after they got Samuel, Duffy reported that his mom said UConn was near the top for him because of his relationship with KO but then they stopped recruiting him so that is why they were dropped. Not sure if KO would've been able to overcome him staying close to home to go to OKSU but Samuel was their top priority at PG.

Reaction Score
I really wish there were a decent JUCO big for next year, someone who could step in and play right away. We should be a pretty attractive landing spot for any big.. the minutes are certainly there for the taking.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I really wish there were a decent JUCO big for next year, someone who could step in and play right away. We should be a pretty attractive landing spot for any big.. the minutes are certainly there for the taking.

You mean someone like

image.png

Reaction Score
Given the increased focus on the academic capabilities of our recruits, I wouldn't expect JUCO players to be the answer.

Like someone else said, our best bet for impact 2013 players may end up being the currently unknown pool of players who decommit due to coaching changes and other factors.

Reaction Score
Did he say this over the air or in print? I missed this.

Austin. Word from his "camp" was that he would have committed on his visit if ollie had a long term contract. Considering that Uconn beats out providence in every way except for the contract of their coach, than it makes a lot of sense. Clearly others may have committed if he had the contract earlier, but I think Austin is the only one we would have been the clear favorite to land

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Austin. Word from his "camp" was that he would have committed on his visit if ollie had a long term contract. Considering that Uconn beats out providence in every way except for the contract of their coach, than it makes a lot of sense. Clearly others may have committed if he had the contract earlier, but I think Austin is the only one we would have been the clear favorite to land

Then he is a moron or got bad advice. The announcers last night also said that they thought the contract extension would be coming soon. I suspect that once we play a couple of Big East games they will finalize it.

Reaction Score
I also saw this a few times.

Reaction Score
Edit: My mistake, I'm not sure that was Katz, I wasn't really focusing on the announcers, but if it wasn't him it was one of the other announcers/analysts at the game.

Either way it was mentioned a few times during the game.
Vitale made a push for Ollie to get a contract and said it was hurting Ollie's recruiting. The play by play guy basically said the same thing.
The college basketball community including coaches, players, announcers all pretty much think a 7 month contract is nuts.
Manuel has to move his butt. Either give Ollie an extended contract or hire someone else but he needs to make a decision NOW. He covered himself in case Ollie was a disaster and he wasn't.This underweight team is playing harder for him than they played for JC last season and nobody argues that Ollie is anything but a quality person.
We are already at a disadvantage and we don't need Manuel screwing things worse than it has to be. Football is over and Manuel can wait and do a coaching evaluation/search at his leisure but basketball needs to be addressed immediately.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Gavin Schilling is a pretty good big that is in the 2013 class. Right now he's 6'8'' 230lb and he is expected to grow near 7 feet. He's a 3 star prospect right now, but his stock has been climbing.

Reaction Score
I knew about those guys. I was thinking more recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman