Recruiting update on the blog | The Boneyard

Recruiting update on the blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You can find it here. Only one click required.

Note that the link to the women's recruiting page can be found on the grey-ish bar just below the Boneyard Blog logo. A link to the men's page can be found there as well.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
No surprises there.

#7 and #10 would be a good start.

Reaction Score
Why would Turner choose Baylor ? They are going to miss Griner, I doubt they will be a top 20 team for awhile

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Why would Turner choose Baylor ? They are going to miss Griner, I doubt they will be a top 20 team for awhile
Why not? Kim is great coach and with Turner and other great recruits they will certainly be top 20. Probably top 10.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kim may be selling Turner on being the next Griner.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
No surprises there.

#7 and #10 would be a good start.
Yep, and we'd need to continue. Wilson is the very big prize. Another big, like Westbeld, would really help too. I think we need at least 4. I'm disappointed that Turner and Canada are slipping.

Reaction Score
Why not? Kim is great coach and with Turner and other great recruits they will certainly be top 20. Probably top 10.

When ? They lose 5 of their top 6 players, and have a mediocre recruiting class coming in. Then Sims leaves next year.

Notre Dame returned 3 very good players this year.

Reaction Score
Kim may be selling Turner on being the next Griner.
She maybe trying to sell her on that notion, but nobody in site is the next Griner. 6'3" is and will never be 6'8". you always want to be the next best you you can be!

Reaction Score
She maybe trying to sell her on that notion, but nobody in site is the next Griner. 6'3" is and will never be 6'8". you always want to be the next best you you can be!

could 6'3" be 6'8" in heels ?

Reaction Score
I think you are totally underestimating a team that will be at least good from now on, and with some solid recruits like this one, could be very good.

Reaction Score
I think you are totally underestimating a team that will be at least good from now on, and with some solid recruits like this one, could be very good.
And don't forget, Kim won another National Championship at Baylor without Griner and Sims. She is a great coach.

Reaction Score
And don't forget, Kim won another National Championship at Baylor without Griner and Sims. She is a great coach.
She had a lot of talent that year she won her first title. However, without Griner and without a BIG player for these players to pass the ball to.... they could be hurting. They have to rethink how they play. Notre Dame reloaded, but Baylor will have to recreate their entire way of playing.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think that Baylor will go from being a dominant team to a very good one that will be top 5-15, depending on the year, but don't expect it to have more than 4 total NCs by 2020 (that is 2 more, including possibly this year). They will be in the mix, but after Griner, I see them in the Final Four some years, but not consistently.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Baylor will very likely land 6-8 McCowan from the 2015 class. Turner and McCowan were quite a tandem in AAU ball. Get ready for Baylor to be very competitive again soon. Also, I think Ieshia Small will commit to Baylor in the next few weeks.

Maybe Baylor won't fall off the earth like ND did this year.

Reaction Score
Baylor will very likely land 6-8 McCowan from the 2015 class. Turner and McCowan were quite a tandem in AAU ball. Get ready for Baylor to be very competitive again soon. Also, I think Ieshia Small will commit to Baylor in the next few weeks.

I don't see McGowan ranked anywhere in the Blue Star top 100 class of 2015, she doesn't sound like the next Griner.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I WISH ND would fall off the earth. :)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I don't see McGowan ranked anywhere in the Blue Star top 100 class of 2015, she doesn't sound like the next Griner.

Where did Blue Star have Chong ranked last year? It seems to me that she was down in the 70 or 80 range if my memory is correct.

McCowan is 6-8 now and is a raw athlete and there will NEVER be a next Griner. McCowan had one game this past season in which she had 46 points and 35 rebounds and 7 blocks. And Mulkey is now known as the coach that developed Brittney Griner. Big girls from Texas are going to want to be developed in a similar manner.

McCowan will not have the same offensive skills as BG, but being an athletic 6-8 will allow her to be very effective defensively, much like BG. Her upside is HUGE.

Reaction Score
I think that Baylor will go from being a dominant team to a very good one that will be top 5-15, depending on the year, but don't expect it to have more than 4 total NCs by 2020 (that is 2 more, including possibly this year). They will be in the mix, but after Griner, I see them in the Final Four some years, but not consistently.

I think Baylor is going to be a perennial power. They've got the recruiting base, and KM is among the top 5 coaches in the country. And she's not just good, she knows what it takes to win championships.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think Baylor is going to be a perennial power. They've got the recruiting base, and KM is among the top 5 coaches in the country. And she's not just good, she knows what it takes to win championships.

I agree. Players want to know that the coach knows how to win a championship when she has talent. There are many coaches who have had the talent to win championships and didn't.

Reaction Score
I'm with vowelguy on this. They have momentum, even if they don't have Griner any more. Actually, momentum is more important than any one or two players. Look what it got UConn for a long time.

Fishbone

Chief Lurker
Reaction Score
Where did Blue Star have Chong ranked last year? It seems to me that she was down in the 70 or 80 range if my memory is correct.

McCowan is 6-8 now and is a raw athlete and there will NEVER be a next Griner. McCowan had one game this past season in which she had 46 points and 35 rebounds and 7 blocks. And Mulkey is now known as the coach that developed Brittney Griner. Big girls from Texas are going to want to be developed in a similar manner.

McCowan will not have the same offensive skills as BG, but being an athletic 6-8 will allow her to be very effective defensively, much like BG. Her upside is HUGE.
Where does Chong's ranking have to do with McGowan's skill or ability to be an impact player for Baylor?
McGowan is a large question mark and not a sure thing to be an impact player.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Where does Chong's ranking have to do with McGowan's skill or ability to be an impact player for Baylor?
McGowan is a large question mark and not a sure thing to be an impact player.

I was pointing out that these recruiting services are not always on target.

Any athletic 6-8 female will have an impact. Mulkey knows how to coach up a big, athletic post player.

Reaction Score
I would love to get Calhoun, Westbeld, and Ekmark and perhaps a good strong post player.
I think Ekmark is destined for stardom. Her attitude is a lot like Kelly Faris. She is smart as a whip, and VERY mature for her age. I love her reasons for wanting to play for Geno at UCONN. Her reasons were just like Kaleena's. She wanted to play with the best girls. She wanted to play for a team that competes for a Nat. Championship most every year. She wanted to play for a team that packs in the fans who truly appreciate UCONN WBB !

I mean, here is a girl who breaks her nose before the state championship game, goes to the Dr., and the Dr. says NO, you cannot play. So she gets a 2nd opinion, and this Dr says you can play IF you wear a mask. Of course when the game starts she sheds the mask 'cause she cannot play in it. When she first broke it in the 1st half of the semi-final, she said there was blood everywhere. She tells the coaches and trainer to just tape it up, and she will deal with the pain, and worry about it after the game, because she is not coming out. Tuff girl eh !

I think another thing that sets her apart is her confidence. If you are going to play at UCONN it is something you must have. I don't like to speculate, and I know we are not supposed to put recruits and Freshman on such pedestals, but I think this young lady is very special, and she starts from day one !
GO UCONN GO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog