Recruiting Transfers - March | Page 34 | The Boneyard

Recruiting Transfers - March

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Almost 6 APG. A grad transfer point guard? Signal a move of Gaffney or Cole off the ball? Love his FT%. Decent from 3, but not great. Looks strong for a 6'1" guard.
Gaffney should never play another min at PG and I like his game a lot. Cole should play a ton off the ball too.

A grad transfer makes more sense than a Richmond if Diggins can play day one To spread out the PG eligibility.

Reaction Score
if Diggins can play day one To spread out the PG eligibility
Find me a non-Top 25 rated PG who can start and be successful at PG for a successful team as a Freshman. The only UConn answer is Doron Sheffer, and he was not your typical freshman.

Historically we had KEA who did a great job (McDonald's AA), Taliek who didn't (McDonald's AA, but they didn't make the NCAAs), AJ Price who didn't (Top 30 recruit, but they didn't even make the NIT, though the whole team was new and he missed two years). Kemba and Shabazz struggled as sophomores.

I like Diggins, but he's not one of those freshmen who we should expect to show up and just dominate. If he does, great. But you can't plan on that because it just doesn't happen.

Reaction Score
Find me a non-Top 25 rated PG who can start and be successful at PG for a successful team as a Freshman. The only UConn answer is Doron Sheffer, and he was not your typical freshman.

Jeff Dowtin

But no, I don’t expect Rahsool to start.

Reaction Score

Historically we had KEA who did a great job (McDonald's AA), Taliek who didn't (McDonald's AA, but they didn't make the NCAAs), AJ Price who didn't (Top 30 recruit, but they didn't even make the NIT, though the whole team was new and he missed two years). Kemba and Shabazz struggled as sophomores.

I like Diggins, but he's not one of those freshmen who we should expect to show up and just dominate. If he does, great. But you can't plan on that because it just doesn't happen.
Can definitely see Diggins as a contributor next year. DH is too loyal to RJ to hand the keys over to Diggins in his first year.

A grad transfer PG recruit would even temper those expectations for Sool even more. How DH fills out the remaining schollys will show how confident he is with RJ/Sool/JG..

Sool has that KEA vibe going on and we all know how that went..

Reaction Score

Yeah, everyone is guilty of hyping up their own incoming freshman, but looking at the RSCI yearly top 100’s stats on SportsRef will sober you up quick. Plenty of busts and very little year 1 production.

I expect Diggins and Hawkins to contribute next year, but I wouldn’t be surprised if either didn’t and I wouldn’t be expecting either to play a huge role.

Reaction Score

Yes. Please.

From 247's Brian Snow:

Standing around 6-foot-3 and possessing good length, he has positional versatility on both ends of the floor. One of the better shooters from the guard position. Has good athleticism to complement that. Offensively he is best off the ball where he can be a catch-and-shoot guy that also attacks closeouts. On defense, he shows the ability to defend either guard spot physically and should project to be above-average on that end going forward.

Averaged 8.3p, 49.4 2p%, 34.0 3p% with about 2/3rds of shots from 3. Not ideal numbers, but this guy was hyped coming in.

If not UConn, would be a fantastic Chicago kid to transfer to DePaul.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score

Yes. Please.

From 247's Brian Snow:

Standing around 6-foot-3 and possessing good length, he has positional versatility on both ends of the floor. One of the better shooters from the guard position. Has good athleticism to complement that. Offensively he is best off the ball where he can be a catch-and-shoot guy that also attacks closeouts. On defense, he shows the ability to defend either guard spot physically and should project to be above-average on that end going forward.

Averaged 8.3p, 49.4 2p%, 34.0 3p% with about 2/3rds of shots from 3. Not ideal numbers, but this guy was hyped coming in.

If not UConn, would be a fantastic Chicago kid to transfer to DePaul.
I love this young man’s game!!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Agree. We fall into this trap every offseason. If Akok is healthy, I don't expect any of these 3 to start. They will play, because we are pretty short of bodies, and in Hawkins case, need shooting. I remember how Sid Wilson was going to come in and dominate. Yeah. Sure. We were high on Gaffney and two years in he's still figuring it out. Hurley has not shown a lot of willingness to just play freshmen a ton of minutes early on, except Akok.

Reaction Score
Yeah, everyone is guilty of hyping up their own incoming freshman, but looking at the RSCI yearly top 100’s stats on SportsRef will sober you up quick. Plenty of busts and very little year 1 production.

I expect Diggins and Hawkins to contribute next year, but I wouldn’t be surprised if either didn’t and I wouldn’t be expecting either to play a huge role.
I will be surprised if Hawkins isn't contributing in a big way as the season progresses. Diggins will need more time

Reaction Score

We’re we in on him last time around? I can’t remember for some reason. I think we may have contacted last year. He wasn’t anything special at TTU

Tweet is unavailable now, but it was Marcos Santos-Silva from TTU

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Not sure if you consider St Johns a successful team this past year but Posh did a good job and he was in the 200's. I agree, I don't think we should expect much from Diggins until later in the year though

Reaction Score
Not sure if you consider St Johns a successful team this past year but Posh did a good job and he was in the 200's. I agree, I don't think we should expect much from Diggins until later in the year though
They were a bubble team that went 16-11 and was NIT bound. Not a success.

Reaction Score
They were a bubble team that went 16-11 and was NIT bound. Not a success.

How about a team that went 25-10 and won a game in the tournament with a freshman pg who had a 247 composite ranking of 273?

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
He de-commit from Cuse?
Not yet. Just assuming his good sense. With his NLI signed and the transfer rule, I wonder if he could transfer without sitting out and not need the curmudgeon to let him out of his letter.

Reaction Score
Jeff Dowtin (on Hurley’s 16-17 URI team)
Our position here is that a kid who averaged 22 minutes (6th most on team) and put up 5 and 2 is our standard for success here? I don't think that's quite the same of what we're talking about here.

Reaction Score
Our position here is that a kid who averaged 22 minutes (6th most on team) and put up 5 and 2 is our standard for success here? I don't think that's quite the same of what we're talking about here.

“Our”? I’m not a royal. I’m speaking as someone who watched that team. I’m well aware of his numbers. I’m also aware of what he brought to that team. He moved into the starting role, increased his minutes, and changed everything that season- that’s the standard of success. We won’t know until the roster is set what exactly they’ll need from the pg next season. I hope Rahsool stays patient.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
“Our”? I’m not a royal. I’m speaking as someone who watched that team. I’m well aware of his numbers. I’m also aware of what he brought to that team. He moved into the starting role, increased his minutes, and changed everything that season- that’s the standard of success. We won’t know until the roster is set what exactly they’ll need from the pg next season. I hope Rahsool stays patient.
Didn't watch URI so I can't comment too deeply. Those sorts of numbers don't scream out "individual difference maker," which is the sort of thing people seem to be expecting from our freshmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom