Recruiting summation 11/11/14 | The Boneyard

Recruiting summation 11/11/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
For those of you who want things in brief this is how things stand.

Briscoe announcing Thursday! St. John's appears to be leading but Kentucky is possible. Zionn and Fishy say no way he comes to UConn! So his thread is not a cluster .....k.

Mack announcing today unless he announces tomorrow. That's right. He's struggling on which day never mind which school. No one really knows which way he's choosing! Probably because he doesn't know either. UConn still in the running.

Stone: announcing the 21st unless he typed wrong and will be announcing on the 12th unless he changes his mind and waits till spring in which case those who hoped the Mack and Stone threads would die will only be 1/2 satisfied. Consensus is UConn is 50/50 with Wisconsin regarding Stone meaning he's going to a school not on his list.

Jones: we're rolling the dice with him. That is he's rolling the dice. UNLV appears to lead, but he's declared a spring announcement so don't expect his thread to get out of control until the three recruits above have declared.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
From Garnet and Black: South Carolina SB Nation Blog: Does not bode well for SC or Clemson if this is true. I think he is leaning VCU so he can be a star for a good mid major. Georgia is like the abyss of college basketball. Once you go in you can't get out.

Screen Shot 2014-11-11 at 11.50.25 AM.png

The four-star guard from Dreher High School plans to select between VCU, UConn, Georgia, Clemson, and South Carolina. As Mack's decision timeline continued to extend over the past few weeks, some wondered if he intended to wait for PJ Dozier to decide where he would attend school before selecting his college destination. With his announcement now preceding Dozier's by a day, that appears to not be the case. We've heard Mack's leaning toward attending school out-of-state, so while he'd certainly represent a huge recruiting win for the Gamecocks, they'd need to come from behind to get him. In addition, Frank Martin didn't offer Tevin Mack until much later in the process than some schools - particularly VCU - a decision that may ultimately prove costly.

Reaction Score
You think if UCONN lands Stone and misses out on Jones, Mack and Briscoe they could make a push for Malik Newman and try to play him at PG?

Reaction Score
You think if UCONN lands Stone and misses out on Jones, Mack and Briscoe they could make a push for Malik Newman and try to play him at PG?
Why? Jalen Adams is a better pg than Newman. If Newman came here it would be for sg spot.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Would Adams be ready to start right away though?
Oh yea. Hes a top 3 prospect at his position and is playing against d1 level competition right now at Brewster.

Reaction Score
Wow, that's even better than I thought! I'm gonna have to go catch one of his games this year

Reaction Score
Wow, that's even better than I thought! I'm gonna have to go catch one of his games this year
I doubt that he starts bc we have very good backcourt but he's one of the most talented ever coming in to UConn at pg. Remember Shabazz and Kemba didn't start when freshman.

Reaction Score
I doubt that he starts bc we have very good backcourt but he's one of the most talented ever coming in to UConn at pg. Remember Shabazz and Kemba didn't start when freshman.

He won't have AJ Price or Kemba Walker ahead of him though.

Reaction Score
He won't have AJ Price or Kemba Walker ahead of him though.
I still don't think he will start but play significant minutes. So far we will have the upperclassmen back and their pretty darn good.

Reaction Score
I still don't think he will start but play significant minutes. So far we will have the upperclassmen back and their pretty darn good.

Who else besides Samuel will be up for starting point guard? It's not crazy to suggest Jalen is a better option.

Reaction Score
Who else besides Samuel will be up for starting point guard? It's not crazy to suggest Jalen is a better option.
Cassell/TSam and Purvis might be back and have big game experience. Don't get me wrong Jalen Adams has prob the most upside but he has to wait his turn.

Reaction Score
I don't really see Cassell or Purvis as starting point guards. Sure, they can handle the ball and play there in a pinch, but it's not where they are going to be best used.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Samuel will never be our starting point guard - assists just aren't in his DNA.

I think his career arc is more towards Sixth Man in Charge of General Mayhem - sort of a John Gwynn in the Predator's body.

I'd expect Adams to start in the backcourt next year.

Reaction Score
This is College Basketball 2014-2015, who waits their turn?

You particularly don't use that phrase while recruiting.

Reaction Score

I think his career arc is more towards Sixth Man in Charge of General Mayhem - sort of a John Gwynn in the Predator's body.

I haven't seen him pass a lot at UConn, nor really is his handle great yet but I hope it gets better, but the high school videos definitely showed a kid with excellent passing ability. Maybe you hear more about the practices, but it's perplexing to me how a kid with highlight videos showing lots of amazing passes isn't given to that at this level.

Reaction Score
Jalen Adams most likely will be our starting point guard from day 1 next year. I love me some Tsam for 15-20 minutes off the bench as KO likes to say "game changer" type role. Part of the reason our guards don't have more assists is because our bigs, particular Phil Nolan, have a brutal time finishing near the rim.

Reaction Score

Agree TS has played 33 minutes with zero assist and two TO's. He is not a PG. He will provide some minutes off the bench. He does two things well, he is a good defender, and takes to ball to the rim very well. He has become a VG foul shooter. He will be/ is a VG role player. 12-15 minutes a game off the bench is the role I see him playing.

Reaction Score
Fishy said:
Samuel will never be our starting point guard - assists just aren't in his DNA. I think his career arc is more towards Sixth Man in Charge of General Mayhem - sort of a John Gwynn in the Predator's body. I'd expect Adams to start in the backcourt next year.

That's probably accurate. I could see a situation if Hamilton was one and done where Samuel starts in a Ricky role as a defender with Adams at the 1 and Purvis at the 3 with Cassell as the instant offense off the bench, but I'd probably bet on Cassell starting at the 2 in that scenario. (I'm also discounting a resurgent Omar at the 3).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom