Recruiting : 1, 2, and 15 | The Boneyard

Recruiting : 1, 2, and 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Not that HoopGurlz rankings are gospel, but I just looked at their 2012 and 2013 lists.

The 2012 UConn recruits are Breanna Stewart (1), Moriah Jefferson (2), and Morgan Tuck (15). Some of us snicker when we look at that 15 and think there is an extra digit in there mistakenly.

Looking at the same rankings for 2013, how would that class of recruits look? Actually, there are some very familiar names there. Mercedes Russell (1), Kaela Davis (2), and Stephanie Mavunga (15). Hmm. Kaela has already committed to Tennessee, so let's move down the list. Number 3 is none other than Diamond DeShields. I'm liking a 1, 3, and 15 class, though a 3, 4 (Taya Reimer) and 15 class would be very nice too.

I gotta run and buy a Powerball ticket. :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
so you are saying 1,2,15 and 1,3/4, 15? not too shabby lol. god help the rest of WCBB if we land Russell. Geno doesn't see how we lose a game for the next 2 years after this season. if we landed Russell, and Diamond, and one out of Taya/Stefanie, fuggedaboutit... game, set, match for the following 4 years.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
so you are saying 1,2,15 and 1,3/4, 15? not too shabby lol. god help the rest of WCBB if we land Russell. Geno doesn't see how we lose a game for the next 2 years after this season. if we landed Russell, and Diamond, and one out of Taya/Stefanie, fuggedaboutit... game, set, match for the following 4 years.

If Russell ends up in Storrs, there will be rumblings in Congress ...something about the FTC and anti-trust :D

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
P.S. I think we have a very good shot at getting Diamond, and a pretty fair shot at Reimer. I'm doubtful on Russell but you never know - CD could work magic.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Now that we are done with 2012 we can focus on the season and 2013 recruiting.

DeShields/Reimer combinataion would be fantastic to go along with a guard or two. I am not holding my breath with Russell.....awesome is she comes, but I dont know......

Im interested to see if Tucker and Samuelson have mutual interest in UCONN.

Reaction Score
Would love to have #3DD Ga,#4Reimer In,a guard,#9Tucker Md/Samuelson Ca all in the class of 2013. Have been dying to know what came of CDs visit with #1Russell in OR and time spent in CA a couple of weeks ago.DD and Reimer have long standing offers.Samuelson is a very interesting prospect with an older sister at Stanford and a younger sister. I have also liked #6Harper Il. In 2014 #2/#1Turner who played with MO during the summer and Current #11 Calhoun with tremendous potential<sister of Omar and playing for Christ of King where former Huskies have played.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think in 2013 we go hard on Russell , DeShields , and Reimer....#1 , 3, and 4..... That Class provides size , athleticism, scoring , and perimeter defense......... Dolson , Hartley , Johnson , and Engeln will be seniors. That in itself is a NC calibre team. But one year of playing behind the seniors will be great for the freshmen. And put them in great position to compete for conference and National championships for the next 3 years.

Reaction Score
P.S. I think we have a very good shot at getting Diamond, and a pretty fair shot at Reimer. I'm doubtful on Russell but you never know - CD could work magic.
Does anyone know how the Oregon-based Russell feels about traveling 3,000 miles for college? I hope that our recruit staff sniffs that stuff out on day one of contact with any recruit, since you can waste a lot of time with kids who decide to stay home after all is said and done [see McDaniel, X].

Reaction Score
Not that HoopGurlz rankings are gospel, but I just looked at their 2012 and 2013 lists.

The 2012 UConn recruits are Breanna Stewart (1), Moriah Jefferson (2), and Morgan Tuck (15). Some of us snicker when we look at that 15 and think there is an extra digit in there mistakenly ...

Snickers, Mars Bars, and Almond Joy! ASGR has Morgan Tuck at #4.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Does anyone know how the Oregon-based Russell feels about traveling 3,000 miles for college? I hope that our recruit staff sniffs that stuff out on day one of contact with any recruit, since you can waste a lot of time with kids who decide to stay home after all is said and done [see McDaniel, X].
Positive enough about it that CD was willing to go to the west coast.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Snickers, Mars Bars, and Almond Joy! ASGR has Morgan Tuck at #4.
Morgan--with a "g"--was the national freshman of the year. She is a stud. One could plausibly argue that Stewart, Jefferson, and Tuck are 1, 2, and 3. It is a great 3-person class. All of them have star potential. Breanna has all-time great potential with her unique skill set.

Reaction Score

<-- Wonkster II, the two-snouted Chinese piglet, is snorting up a storm in anticipation of next year. I'm not sure he owns an HDTV set, though. Can he get CPTV on his eee-Phone? It runs the old British OS, AnDruid.

His keeper says he loves applets. Eats a lot of them.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
A couple of things to consider. Geno has spaced UConn recruits as not to have one class to big where we graduate our entire starting lineup after one season. He has recruited by need at each position and brings the kids along. When you look at our roster we have some pretty big names and a couple of big names who are showing alot of interest in UConn when they are eligible in a couple of years. We need an incoming freshman when are players are juniors. So when Stef is a junior we need a freshman that season of the following season to replace her on the roster. This gives the kids a chance to develop without having the pressure of having to perform at the highest level right away. When you look at our roster this season and for the next couple of seasons its really unbelievable. Even for me its hard to believe. For some it is expected and thats what Geno has created. Ive made some predictions on how well UConn would do over the years. Next season forward is going to be a fun time at UConn.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A couple of things to consider. Geno has spaced UConn recruits as not to have one class to big where we graduate our entire starting lineup after one season. He has recruited by need at each position and brings the kids along. When you look at our roster we have some pretty big names and a couple of big names who are showing alot of interest in UConn when they are eligible in a couple of years. We need an incoming freshman when are players are juniors. So when Stef is a junior we need a freshman that season of the following season to replace her on the roster. This gives the kids a chance to develop without having the pressure of having to perform at the highest level right away. When you look at our roster this season and for the next couple of seasons its really unbelievable. Even for me its hard to believe. For some it is expected and thats what Geno has created. Ive made some predictions on how well UConn would do over the years. Next season forward is going to be a fun time at UConn.
agreed tony, but it's not working out that way. Stef will be a junior next year and there is no true 5 coming in. sure Bree, Mo, and Morgan are sensational. but i think the staff hopes Kiah is that player to replace Stef.

one thing to keep in mind is that Stef had a lot of improvement to do last year. and she DID do a lot of improving. she was relied on a ton as a freshman and did more than her fair share to support the team. i'm really excited to see her play this year. no more newbie!!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
agreed tony, but it's not working out that way. Stef will be a junior next year and there is no true 5 coming in. sure Bree, Mo, and Morgan are sensational. but i think the staff hopes Kiah is that player to replace Stef.

one thing to keep in mind is that Stef had a lot of improvement to do last year. and she DID do a lot of improving. she was relied on a ton as a freshman and did more than her fair share to support the team. i'm really excited to see her play this year. no more newbie!!

I think that IF you have a high enough player quality among several forwards--and some complimentary skillsets--you don't necessarily need a true post-up center like Stef or Tina to be a NC contender. You can do it like the 2002 squad. And in the next few years, we will have exceptionally talented F/C types: Stewart, Stokes, Tuck. (Add Reimer to the equation and it's an even stronger case.) And MJ could also emerge. Stokes is the most "center-like" but she also has the athleticism and mobility to someday be part of a 3-woman wrecking crew a la the 2002 bunch, if that's what the coaches choose to go with. Today? No. But by the time she's a JR/SR? I bet so.

Would I like to see UCONN get a superlative center like Russell? No doubt about it - but if we didn't get another high-quality big until the 2014 class, we should still have a great, uninterrupted run.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think that IF you have a high enough player quality among several forwards--and some complimentary skillsets--you don't necessarily need a true post-up center like Stef or Tina to be a NC contender. You can do it like the 2002 squad. And in the next few years, we will have exceptionally talented F/C types: Stewart, Stokes, Tuck. (Add Reimer to the equation and it's an even stronger case.) And MJ could also emerge. Stokes is the most "center-like" but she also has the athleticism and mobility to someday be part of a 3-woman wrecking crew a la the 2002 bunch, if that's what the coaches choose to go with. Today? No. But by the time she's a JR/SR? I bet so.

Would I like to see UCONN get a superlative center like Russell? No doubt about it - but if we didn't get another high-quality big until the 2014 class, we should still have a great, uninterrupted run.
We did well with the "3-headed monster" in 2002, but it really was nice to have the best center in the country for the last year plus of Tina's career. I think it gives us a larger margin for error, foul trouble, and injury.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
We did well with the "3-headed monster" in 2002, but it really was nice to have the best center in the country for the last year plus of Tina's career. I think it gives us a larger margin for error, foul trouble, and injury.
+1

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

Of course we'd like to have that best center. Who wouldn't? My point was that we'll be talented enough to contend even without having one--something very few teams can say.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Of course we'd like to have that best center. Who wouldn't? My point was that we'll be talented enough to contend even without having one--something very few teams can say.
Agreed. But being greedy, I like the larger margin. ;)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Mil and VA are correct of course. and you are correct we did great with the 3 headed monster, but i think we are all seeing a change in the player dynamics. 1998 was 13 years ago. i'm not sure we COULD win these days with a trio of talent like we had with Swin, Asjha and Tamika. maybe we could, but you have to admit we've seen an evolution of skill sets for players in the 6'4" range and taller. Griner, Bone, Kizer, Russell, Williams, Hollivay, Howard (she may be 6'3") etc. are all a new breed of post players who are tall and athletic.

i'm not sure a trio of 6'2 players would be as successful against the athletes we are seeing who are 6'4" and taller. again, i'm not saying it's impossible, but i think most elite teams would feel much better with an elite center on their roster rather than only some elite 6'2" and shorter post players.

having said that, i still think the staff feels 6'3" Stokes is the future backup for Stef. even if we don't land an elite center till 2014, it's not like the cupboard is bare...

Reaction Score
I tend to think that two players that went on to be WNBA All-Stars and national team members and a third player that was a WNBA starter and the WNBA career FG% leader just as she was in college would find a way to be successful against today's centers with little problem. Shorter post players give taller "elite" centers trouble all the time.

It seems to me the value of centers tends to get overrated. They can certainly overwhelm inferior competition to a greater degree that a similarly talented guard, but when the talent level between teams is close even dominating centers can be handled by teams without a center. A big part of that is that it is really hard to get the ball to a center on offense when the talent level between the teams are close. Even getting the ball to an elite center is a turnover prone endeavor for almost all teams. And because of those turnovers the 3-point shot has reduced their value on both ends of the court. Take a look at who actually gets to the Final Four and wins championships and consider whether centers are such a big deal.

The center position requires a minimum level of competency on defense that cannot be hidden the way teams can hide a weak off guard or forward much like the similarly overrated position of point guard requires a minimum level of competency on offense. Those positions are more important relative to the others because they can torpedo a team, but the mythical qualities that can get assigned to centers and point guards when we move beyond competency to the elite status tend to be just that. A myth.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Mil and VA are correct of course. and you are correct we did great with the 3 headed monster, but i think we are all seeing a change in the player dynamics. 1998 was 13 years ago. i'm not sure a trio of 6'2 players would be as successful against the athletes we are seeing who are 6'4" and taller. again, i'm not saying it's impossible, but i think most elite teams would feel much better with an elite center on their roster rather than only some elite 6'2" and shorter post players.

you took the words right out of my mouth (BTW they are talking about AFTER Stef graduate so tack on 3 more yrs to that number 13)

well said

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
How much height did Texas A&M have last year? Not much they did have Gilbert but she only started in 4 games, other than her the team was 6'1" and smaller. It worked out OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom