Recommendations on overnight between Hershey PA and Boston? | The Boneyard

Recommendations on overnight between Hershey PA and Boston?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I'm planning out a little family road trip that will include driving Boston to Philly and then Philly to Hershey. I am looking to find a place for an overnight, hopefully with something fun for the kids (4 and 6) between Hershey and Boston to break up the drive home. The overnight is not going to be in NYC. It can technically be as far north as Albany if it's worthwhile. Any ideas appreciated.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) Mystic Aquarium - It’s an aquarium. In Mystic.

2) Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk - It’s a maritime aquarium. In Norwalk. The Hotel Zero Degrees is nearby and highly recommended.

3) LEGOLAND in Yonkers - I wouldn’t go, but there it is.

You have about three different ways to get back to Boston from Hershey - two will take you through the NYC or Westchester area and one will take you through New York on Route 84. They will all take you the same amount of time, so this is not really a detour....

4) Rocking Horse Ranch - Google it. Great place for kids in Highland, NY.

5) Thayer Hotel at West Point - Hotel is on campus at West Point Military Academy. Woodbury Commons, heap-big shopping place is nearby.

6) Anywhere in Poughkeepsie/Highland/New Paltz/Kingston/Rhinebeck - See the Walkway Over the Hudson, take a cruise on the Hudson, etc. If you want to stick right near 84, there are a ton of hotels in Fishkill and there’s a good-sized water park nearby.

7) Mid-Hudson Valley - You and your kids can sit on my deck and look in the sliding glass window as I craft artisanal postings for the Boneyard.

These will take you a bit farther north, but not near Albany.

8) Google Opus40. You can stay nearby Saugerties...

9) Saugerties Light House - you can stay at an actual lighthouse on the Hudson River. There’s a tiny bit of roughing it involved, I believe, but not much.

There are a bunch of other places to stay, with a four and a six year old, it’s a little limiting. They’d likely be happy to hit something like the Pearl River Hilton and just goof off in the pool.

Reaction Score
1) Mystic Aquarium - It’s an aquarium. In Mystic.

2) Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk - It’s a maritime aquarium. In Norwalk. The Hotel Zero Degrees is nearby and highly recommended.

3) LEGOLAND in Yonkers - I wouldn’t go, but there it is.

You have about three different ways to get back to Boston from Hershey - two will take you through the NYC or Westchester area and one will take you through New York on Route 84. They will all take you the same amount of time, so this is not really a detour....

4) Rocking Horse Ranch - Google it. Great place for kids in Highland, NY.

5) Thayer Hotel at West Point - Hotel is on campus at West Point Military Academy. Woodbury Commons, heap-big shopping place is nearby.

6) Anywhere in Poughkeepsie/Highland/New Paltz/Kingston/Rhinebeck - See the Walkway Over the Hudson, take a cruise on the Hudson, etc. If you want to stick right near 84, there are a ton of hotels in Fishkill and there’s a good-sized water park nearby.

7) Mid-Hudson Valley - You and your kids can sit on my deck and look in the sliding glass window as I craft artisanal postings for the Boneyard.

These will take you a bit farther north, but not near Albany.

8) Google Opus40. You can stay nearby Saugerties...

9) Saugerties Light House - you can stay at an actual lighthouse on the Hudson River. There’s a tiny bit of roughing it involved, I believe, but not much.

There are a bunch of other places to stay, with a four and a six year old, it’s a little limiting. They’d likely be happy to hit something like the Pearl River Hilton and just goof off in the pool.

Of all that blather, just go to Mystic. It's about midway, off a major highway and has a lot to do in a tight little area. And your kids can pet a sting ray.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
I found the Mohonk Mountain House in the Catskills, which is way too expensive but I like the idea. Are there any other family-friendly resorts in the catskills you guys would recommend?

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Of all that blather, just go to Mystic. It's about midway, off a major highway and has a lot to do in a tight little area. And your kids can pet a sting ray.
The kids love Mystic and we did an overnight there last year, but it's only an hour from home so no sense in stopping over there for this trip.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Go for a hike in Bear Mountain State Park and then go eat and drink at Peekskill Brewery, which has excellent beers and possibly even better food in a nice space, and totally kid-friendly.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I found the Mohonk Mountain House in the Catskills, which is way too expensive but I like the idea. Are there any other family-friendly resorts in the catskills you guys would recommend?

I wasn’t even going to suggest the Mountain House. It’s very nice, but it’s a $800 night most of the time.

But it’s not in the Catskills. It’s just outside of New Paltz in the Shawangunks.

Rocking Horse is in the same area, just further south.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If it was me, I'd stay near the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome and take in a show. Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome Loved that place as a kid.

Are you hitting Gettysburg while at Hershey?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
When is this?

Assume you're going to Hershey Park, so a side trip to Rye Playland would be redundant.

They're young kids. They'll probably love Dave N' Busters even if they have one near home. There's one in Nyack right near the Tappan Zee. Plenty of Comfort Inn/Courtyard type hotels around. You can also try Rocking Horse Ranch in Highland near Hyde Park. It's got an indoor water park for guests.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
It is likely going to be the last week of June. Not sure yet about Gettysburg. I loved it as a kid but I was a little older, I just don't know if it will hold their attention. Maybe Rocking Horse. Thanks for all the suggestions, I guess I have some additional research to do.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It is likely going to be the last week of June. Not sure yet about Gettysburg. I loved it as a kid but I was a little older, I just don't know if it will hold their attention. Maybe Rocking Horse. Thanks for all the suggestions, I guess I have some additional research to do.

My daughter enjoyed Gettysburg quite a lot at age 9-10. There is a specific tour geared towards kids, which is actually great for adults as well.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
If it was me, I'd stay near the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome and take in a show. Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome Loved that place as a kid.

Are you hitting Gettysburg while at Hershey?

Look into the Beekman Arms in Rhinebeck. Its the oldest "hotel" for lack of a better term, in America. The Aerodrome is not far from the Arms. Grew up in the Poughkeepsie area. The founder of the areodrome was a very good friend of my mother. Great guy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom