Recognize we are playing defenseless | The Boneyard

Recognize we are playing defenseless

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
By playing only 6 players we can not defend like UConn teams of the past. We need to keep our starters on the floor without them getting into foul trouble. IF they get into foul trouble we dont have the experienced bodies to play So we play defenseless until the 4th qtr and them turn on the jets. Thats because, that the way it is. Now when we are healthy we have 3 more players this year who average over 50pts a game to step in. It aint arithmetic its that simple. Paige Azzie and Caroline are clutch. No team has 3 players like that, who can score from anywhere at anytime when it is needed

We have just gone through one of the most impossible seasons ever with all the injuries and Covid and we have only 5 losses which is alot for UConn and for most teams is a good season. Now we bring back 2 National HS POY who are generational players along with Caroline who imo was a HS underrated player and all can give you over 20 PTs a game. Guys its gonna be very difficult to beat us. Yeah we need to play together for a few weeks to regain the chemistry and continuity but we've got the clutch players all 3 of them and no other team has those kind of players. I cant wait for us to get healthy and up to speed again. The regionals are gonna be UN BE Leave Able. We may be a 3 seed but I gotta tell ya. Lookout here comes tomorrow

Reaction Score
Hello, I'm new.... looking forward to joining these conversations. I too hope we get every player back in time for the NCAA tournament, if not the Big East tournament. The one worry I have is that even if Paige is back, she won't have played for several months, and we can't expect her to come in and be at full strength, with full stamina, right away. And even though the layoffs for Caroline and Liv will have been shorter, even missing a few games can break that sense of rhythm and connection that these players need on the floor. I know Geno's a master at putting pieces together under all kinds of circumstances, he always has been. Guess I'm just trying to keep my expectations realistic. But wouldn't a fairytale ending to this season be great?? In other years, we were "supposed to" win it all and then didn't. Maybe this year, somebody else is "supposed to," but then we do! :)

Reaction Score
By playing only 6 players we can not defend like UConn teams of the past. We need to keep our starters on the floor without them getting into foul trouble. IF they get into foul trouble we dont have the experienced bodies to play So we play defenseless until the 4th qtr and them turn on the jets. Thats because, that the way it is. Now when we are healthy we have 3 more players this year who average over 50pts a game to step in. It aint arithmetic its that simple. Paige Azzie and Caroline are clutch. No team has 3 players like that, who can score from anywhere at anytime when it is needed

We have just gone through one of the most impossible seasons ever with all the injuries and Covid and we have only 5 losses which is alot for UConn and for most teams is a good season. Now we bring back 2 National HS POY who are generational players along with Caroline who imo was a HS underrated player and all can give you over 20 PTs a game. Guys its gonna be very difficult to beat us. Yeah we need to play together for a few weeks to regain the chemistry and continuity but we've got the clutch players all 3 of them and no other team has those kind of players. I cant wait for us to get healthy and up to speed again. The regionals are gonna be UN BE Leave Able. We may be a 3 seed but I gotta tell ya. Lookout here comes tomorrow
I like your hyperbole and I am prone to from time to time, BUT!! They can score from anywhere at any time?? Ah, if that were only true. Generational? Maybe, we usually wait a generation to see if that really happens. Now there are a few High School boys and one College young lady that may be that--one is 7 ft 1 in 10th grade, how many of those do they make. And the young lady is college and scored 61 points, if she does that in most games, she is generational!
When Paige, CD, AZZI, and the team get it on, few may stand tall before them.
As a dyed in the wool Uconn Women's fan. I really like your enthusiasm. Keep it up. You are doing what we all should do.

Reaction Score
Normally coaches with short benches play everyone whether they are “ready” or not in order to both give a breather to the starters and continue to play aggressive defense without worrying about fouling and playing soft. If we are concerned that “they can’t play defense like they used to”, that’s the choice that the coach made.

Reaction Score
Hello, I'm new.... looking forward to joining these conversations. I too hope we get every player back in time for the NCAA tournament, if not the Big East tournament. The one worry I have is that even if Paige is back, she won't have played for several months, and we can't expect her to come in and be at full strength, with full stamina, right away. And even though the layoffs for Caroline and Liv will have been shorter, even missing a few games can break that sense of rhythm and connection that these players need on the floor. I know Geno's a master at putting pieces together under all kinds of circumstances, he always has been. Guess I'm just trying to keep my expectations realistic. But wouldn't a fairytale ending to this season be great?? In other years, we were "supposed to" win it all and then didn't. Maybe this year, somebody else is "supposed to," but then we do! :)
First, welcome aboard. Fairytale ending? If after all that's happened this year and they win the NC a movie will be made about it. I understand that PAhusky guy is working on the script. Milford will play the role of Geno (Carnac is too tall) and TonyC will be the head cheerleader. Nan can be CD

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Welcome to the Boneyard. If you hang around here much longer, you will have more than one worry. But please keep trying to be realistic, and don't stop wishing either.

Reaction Score

Right on Tony ...
We are playing with an adjusted defense nature:
In order to preserve strength we no longer keep the arms and hands in the face of the offensive player...who now does not have to devote brain power to the advances of the defensive player..
I order to preserve strength we are playing defense on flat feet not on the balls of our feet, ready to spring into tiger aggression
Now when get bench help we will be able to fire our defense on all engines, and implement the UConn Shock Factor!!

Reaction Score
Hyperbole? Maybe a little, but not much. With a full roster we are a tough out. I also believe the bigs will benefit greatly from the attention the perimeter players will get. This will also open up the lane for CW. I don’t care what our seed is. If Paige, CD, and Liv are healthy, I think we get to the F4 and roll the dice.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hello Kelly.

Welcome aboard. I'll give you the warning I give all newbies.

81Slr7s0pWL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
By playing only 6 players we can not defend like UConn teams of the past. We need to keep our starters on the floor without them getting into foul trouble. IF they get into foul trouble we dont have the experienced bodies to play So we play defenseless until the 4th qtr and them turn on the jets. Thats because, that the way it is. Now when we are healthy we have 3 more players this year who average over 50pts a game to step in. It aint arithmetic its that simple.
Simple but not impossible. These are the minutes played in the final NCAA championship game by six players. Apparently these players were made of sterner stuff or just plain better defensive players. Certainly they were better offensive players. Or just overall better players. The current team will have to prove just how good they are. Fantastic potential but physical issue have hindered them. "Guards win championships!" To which I will add "if and only if your team has at least one dominant post player such as Stewart and Charles."
1645024288144.png

Attachments

• 1645023034699.png
    1645023034699.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 81

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Simple but not impossible. These are the minutes played in the final NCAA championship game by six players. Apparently these players were made of sterner stuff or just plain better defensive players. Certainly they were better offensive players. Or just overall better players. The current team will have to prove just how good they are. Fantastic potential but physical issue have hindered them. "Guards win championships!" To which I will add "if and only if your team has at least one dominant post player such as Stewart and Charles."
View attachment 73364
Hmmmm, J. Moore anyone?? Back to back titles.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
First of all, welcome aboard. When Paige does come back, she will have participated in several practices before being put into a game. Geno should have a pretty good idea how many minutes he can use her. Sorta like a pitcher being on a "pitch count." I'm guessing her first game back won't be a game that is a "must win" so that he won't be tempted to play her longer than planned. The time she does spend on the floor those first few games back can be spent as more of a facilitator, not necessarily a scorer. She'll have plenty of options (teammates) to pass to for assists. Stranger things have happened. She maybe ready to play 30+ minutes when she returns.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This bring an interesting point. We change trainers and have a ton of stress reaction injuries. That’s not a coincidence.
Most stress reactions don't just happen. They get worse over time. I believe at least some of UConn's problems were in the works before Andrea joined the staff. Case in point, Nika's foot problem started last year and now her foot is bothering her again. This needs to be watched very closely. If you're looking to lay blame, blame the GD sneakers.

Reaction Score
Most stress reactions don't just happen. They get worse over time. I believe at least some of UConn's problems were in the works before Andrea joined the staff. Case in point, Nika's foot problem started last year and now her foot is bothering her again. This needs to be watched very closely. If you're looking to lay blame, blame the GD sneakers.
One of our local Physical Therapists did a study at the High School and Div. III college level about the number of repeat injuries women athletes face. The assessment was that women have more stress fractures and knee injuries since their coaches and trainers focus constantly on the same set of muscles, specific to the sport they are playing. Foot injuries were particularly an issue since most tend to sprain ankles at some point in their career, often in high school, creating support issues than can eventually contribute to stress fractures. No idea how this may or may not apply to UConn but was an interesting paper.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
This bring an interesting point. We change trainers and have a ton of stress reaction injuries. That’s not a coincidence.
I absolutely agree. In addition to stress reactions (fractures) back injuries need be included. Can you say Aubrey! Some times the latest exercise fad is not properly researched from an injury perspective. I have never seen a CrossFit participant that looked like a basketball player. Different body types. See my post below:

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Hyperbole? Maybe a little, but not much. With a full roster we are a tough out. I also believe the bigs will benefit greatly from the attention the perimeter players will get. This will also open up the lane for CW. I don’t care what our seed is. If Paige, CD, and Liv are healthy, I think we get to the F4 and roll the dice.
UConn can be a tough out!! :mad:There are no undefeated teams this year. Everyone can be beat. An UNRANKED Missouri team (currently 16-9) beat South Carolina by 1 point in overtime 70-69 in late December. If you lose by 1 point, you lose! You go home. Everyone can have a bad day. On gameday, you just have to be better than your opponent.

Both teams CANNOT have a good day. You must make sure THEY are the ones that have a bad day, not you. You've got to have the "will to win", and you must want to win that game MORE than they do. Each player must be willing to (as Geno says) "bring something." Whatever it is you can bring. Bring it!! Be physically and mentally ready to play. Be it for 2-3 minutes or 35-40 minutes. As Geno says: "be great when I need you to be."

Playing good defense is hard: keeping your hands up, staying in a defensive position, keeping your man in front of you and by all means blocking out when the shot is taken. Not giving up any easy baskets. UConn held DePaul to 30 points below their average. Why can’t we do that to the South Carolinas, the Stanfords and the Louisvilles?

The thing that will determine how far UConn goes in the tournament is how many of the core players will show up and show up BIG TIME? Any team that wins the NC will have to defeat at least two top 7 teams. If UConn plays their A+ game, and EVERYBODY shows up, UConn can beat anyone.

I can't imagine that if..........Paige has a 20 pt, 8 assist game, Azzi has a 25 pt, 5 reb, 5 ast game, ONO has a 15 pt, 10 reb, 2 blk game, Evina has a 12 pt, 5 ast game, Dorka has a double double and Aaliyah has a 12 pt, 6 reb game and Nika does her best imitation of a world class floor general while being a real pain the a** on defense, and we keep our turnovers to less than 10, that they won't win.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn can be a tough out!! :mad:There are no undefeated teams this year. Everyone can be beat. An UNRANKED Missouri team (currently 16-9) beat South Carolina by 1 point in overtime 70-69 in late December. If you lose by 1 point, you lose! You go home. Everyone can have a bad day. On gameday, you just have to be better than your opponent.

Both teams CANNOT have a good day. You must make sure THEY are the ones that have a bad day, not you. You've got to have the "will to win", and you must want to win that game MORE than they do. Each player must be willing to (as Geno says) "bring something." Whatever it is you can bring. Bring it!! Be physically and mentally ready to play. Be it for 2-3 minutes or 35-40 minutes. As Geno says: "be great when I need you to be."

Playing good defense is hard: keeping your hands up, staying in a defensive position, keeping your man in front of you and by all means blocking out when the shot is taken. Not giving up any easy baskets. UConn held DePaul to 30 points below their average. Why can’t we do that to the South Carolinas, the Stanfords and the Louisvilles?

The thing that will determine how far UConn goes in the tournament is how many of the core players will show up and show up BIG TIME? Any team that wins the NC will have to defeat at least two top 7 teams. If UConn plays their A+ game, and EVERYBODY shows up, UConn can beat anyone.

I can't imagine that if..........Paige has a 20 pt, 8 assist game, Azzi has a 25 pt, 5 reb, 5 ast game, ONO has a 15 pt, 10 reb, 2 blk game, Evina has a 12 pt, 5 ast game, Dorka has a double double and Aaliyah has a 12 pt, 6 reb game and Nika does her best imitation of a world class floor general while being a real pain the a** on defense, and we keep our turnovers to less than 10, that they won't win.
If they dealt me a 7 of clubs the other night, I would have had a straight flush. Assuming we get to the FF with Stanford and SC, your big IF has our bigs scoring 40 plus points. That has no chance of happening. We win against the best by good defense against their big. Neutralizing them. Holding them down. Maybe Dorka contributes but it’s our guards that will need to score big.

Carnac

Reaction Score
If they dealt me a 7 of clubs the other night, I would have had a straight flush. Assuming we get to the FF with Stanford and SC, your big IF has our bigs scoring 40 plus points. That has no chance of happening. We win against the best by good defense against their big. Neutralizing them. Holding them down. Maybe Dorka contributes but it’s our guards that will need to score big.
I think it has...................ONO = 15 pts., Dorka = 10, Aaliyah = 12 that's only 37 points, but I get your drift. I think my "IF" is very doable. All Dorka and Aaliyah have to do is make ALL of their bunnies, lay ups. and free throws. Completely do-able. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

ONO can't get 3 baskets in each half + 3 FT during the game? Dorka can't get 5 2 pt FG in the entire game? Aaliyah can't get 4 bunnies and 2 regular FG from 10-12 ' out during the game?, not to mention some possible free throws? If you don't think this is possible, I note your skepticism, but I I don't agree.

I qualified my comment by saying "IF". Each one of these players have already had games eclipsing these numbers, so it's not impossible.
There is a chance. There's a chance they will and there's a chance they won't.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom