Recently Watched Movies 2024 | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2024

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I love this movie. I am a huge Nolan fanboy but I thought this movie was better than Oppenheimer.

Yes, I know it’s not a popular take.

Is it in English, or all subtitles? I'm tired of reading movies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It’s in Japanese with subtitles. Since I leave captions on even with English I never notice them. It just feels like I’m hearing and translating simultaneously.

Reaction Score
subtitles. I think it’s dubbed too. Buy dubbing is usually pretty cringe. It’s a great movie. Worth the extra effort. I have a 7 year old who managed to keep up with it.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
subtitles. I think it’s dubbed too. Buy dubbing is usually pretty cringe. It’s a great movie. Worth the extra effort. I have a 7 year old who managed to keep up with it.

I'm out. If I want to read I'll but a book.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Somehow I never saw "Vision Quest" while I was growing up. I know I've heard plenty of references to it. Finally watched it. Very 80s. Good soundtrack. A bit scattered, but fairly entertaining. I knew Matthew Modine is in it. Didn't realize it also featured Linda Fiorentino, Daphne Zuniga, and Forest Whittaker (barely).

I always complain about actors being much older than the characters they are playing. Well that is nothing new apparently. This had a bunch of mid to late 20s actors playing high schoolers, or a 21 year old in Fiorentino's case.

It was actually filmed in and around Spokane, kudos for that. But for whatever reason they changed the names of all the schools.

edit--oh yeah, Madonna was playing live music in a bar in one scene, it was fairly early in her career, before she turned into a weirdo. Several of her songs were featured throughout the film.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Somehow I never saw "Vision Quest" while I was growing up. I know I've heard plenty of references to it. Finally watched it. Very 80s. Good soundtrack. A bit scattered, but fairly entertaining. I knew Matthew Modine is in it. Didn't realize it also featured Linda Fiorentino, Daphne Zuniga, and Forest Whittaker (barely).
I remember seeing it on TV and got into it. Not to be confused with Galaxy Quest, another movie I stumbled on to that was much better than I thought it would be.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Not to be confused with Galaxy Quest
Ha ha. Yes other than both having Quest in the title, nothing remotely similar about them. I love Galaxy Quest.

Reaction Score

Both, you get your choice on Netflix. As I said The English version loses a little in the translation.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"Hit Man" is new on Netflix. I think it had a very small theatrical run maybe 2 weeks ago? Very loosely based on a real person. Glen Powell plays a teacher at Univ. of New Orleans who moonlights w/ the local PD doing audio/tech stuff on sting operations for people hiring contract killers. In a pinch they send him in to be the fake hit man. He loves it and runs with it. It all gets complicated when he's smitten with a potential perp (Adria Arjona). He talks her out of it, then ends up having a relationship with her. As always, it gets worse and worse with layer upon layer of lies. I found it entertaining.

Powell is everywhere now. He's one of those overnight success stories 10 or 15 years in the making. He's been around, but he's just suddenly blown up in his mid 30s. I still think my favorite role for him was a motor mouthed smooth operator college baseball player in "Everybody Wants Some." Just realized he was reunited with the same director in this one.

Arjona is adorable.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"The Iron Claw" was decent but not great. Covered a lot of territory, there was some time dilation. I was disappointed there was very little time spent showing the 3 Von Erichs wrestling together. Of course it was depressing. What got me the most wasn't any of the individual deaths, it was at the end when all his brothers were gone and Kevin was watching his 2 boys playing together, the way he and his brothers used to. That was a great scene.

I've seen a bit of commentary about casting. The one big miss--well huge actually--was Ric Flair. I don't know who the actor was, but missed by miles.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Roadhouse (2024)

It's impressive that they could actually remake this movie and achieve all of the suck and none of the charm of the original. Jake Gyllenhall seems like he's doing a Woody Harrelson impression the whole movie. You never really care about him. I will say Conor McGregor is kind of awesome in it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
"Hit Man" is new on Netflix. I think it had a very small theatrical run maybe 2 weeks ago? Very loosely based on a real person. Glen Powell plays a teacher at Univ. of New Orleans who moonlights w/ the local PD doing audio/tech stuff on sting operations for people hiring contract killers. In a pinch they send him in to be the fake hit man. He loves it and runs with it. It all gets complicated when he's smitten with a potential perp (Adria Arjona). He talks her out of it, then ends up having a relationship with her. As always, it gets worse and worse with layer upon layer of lies. I found it entertaining.

Powell is everywhere now. He's one of those overnight success stories 10 or 15 years in the making. He's been around, but he's just suddenly blown up in his mid 30s. I still think my favorite role for him was a motor mouthed smooth operator college baseball player in "Everybody Wants Some." Just realized he was reunited with the same director in this one.

Arjona is adorable.

Pretty good.

I really liked Austin Amelio. That part was important and could have spiraled easily. Half the actors playing dirty cops in the last 30 years are doing a Gary Oldman from The Professional imitation, but Amelio played the character more low key and as a little bit stupider, which totally worked.

Reaction Score
Atlas (2024) Much ballybooed Jennifer Lopez sci-fi vehicle. No new ground is explored in this formula sci-fi piece. Special effects are top notch but nothing else pops. The story, acting and movie making are mediocre. The movie ends like they think there will be a sequel. Good luck. One star and that's generous.

Reaction Score
Before Sunrise (1995)

My wife queued it up last night and while I was somewhat reluctant to watch it and fully expected to fall asleep before it ended, it was a beautiful film.

Part of a trilogy where each film is released about nine years apart with the same main characters, this is the first: Ethan Hawke meets Julie Delpy on a train from Budapest to Paris, but Delpy's character decides to spend a day with Hawke's character in Vienna, which is where Hawke's character has to take a flight on the next day.

It's a slow-moving film of mostly dialogue between the two, but the screenplay is intertwined with enough tension, humor, existentialism and awkward early 20-something flirting that it keeps interesting without seeming preachy or [yawn]. Beautifully shot film too w/ pretty mix of city and countryside landscapes.

I'm interested in finishing the trilogy.

Reaction Score
Before Sunrise (1995)

My wife queued it up last night and while I was somewhat reluctant to watch it and fully expected to fall asleep before it ended, it was a beautiful film.

Part of a trilogy where each film is released about nine years apart with the same main characters, this is the first: Ethan Hawke meets Julie Delpy on a train from Budapest to Paris, but Delpy's character decides to spend a day with Hawke's character in Vienna, which is where Hawke's character has to take a flight on the next day.

It's a slow-moving film of mostly dialogue between the two, but the screenplay is intertwined with enough tension, humor, existentialism and awkward early 20-something flirting that it keeps interesting without seeming preachy or [yawn]. Beautifully shot film too w/ pretty mix of city and countryside landscapes.

I saw "Before Sunrise" for the first time last year. I wrote this review about it on the Boneyard.

<Before Sunrise (1995) - This romance film was directed by Richard Linklater and stars Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy. Hawke is an American on vacation in Europe, and Delpy plays a French woman. They meet on a Eurail train, and quickly develop a liking for each other. Hawke is flying back to the USA the next day, so he persuades Delpy to get off the train and spend the rest of the day and night together taking in the the sights in Vienna, where he is flying out of the next day.

Hawke and Delpy carry the movie from start to finish, and develop quite a chemistry together. They are almost in every scene in this movie. The film is basically a bunch of conversations between the two of them, with the occasional kiss thrown in. This movie is pretty much all talk and pretty much nothing else happens, so it certainly won't appeal to everyone.

While not a great film, I did think it was entertaining to some degree, although with all the talking I have to admit that my mind started to wander off from time to time. Still, I stuck with it to the end. As I indicated before, I would guess there are a number of people out there who would not be able to stick with this movie from start to finish.

By the way, Linklater directed one of our favorite films of the last 15 years, "Bernie".>

Reaction Score
Before Sunrise (1995)

Shortly after watching "Before Sunrise", I also watched the sequel "Beyond Sunset". Here is what I wrote about that movie:

<Beyond Sunset (2004) - This is a romantic sequel to "Before Sunrise" which takes place nine years after the original movie. Once again, it is directed by Richard Linklater and starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy. This film is pretty similar to the original as the two stars this time meet in Paris, and spend a day together wondering around Paris before Hawke once again has to fly home to the USA. Once again, this film is basically one conversation after another. I believe it is safe to say that if you thought the first film was okay, you will find this film to be pretty watchable as well. I thought it was okay.>

Reaction Score

Arjona is adorable
Hit Man is very well done, and lives up to all the hype it’s getting. Male and female leads are tremendous. Supporting cast is pedestrian. A pleasant movie to enjoy.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Late Bloomers. I'm a sucker for Karen Gillan ever since Dr. Who. This is one of her better acting performances. Young woman has quite a few issues. She breaks her him and is thrust into a world of old ladies in physical therapy. Builds a relationship with an old Polish lady. Then details are revealed about the young woman and why she's in NYC not CA. Flashbacks with her mom and eventually it comes full circle. It's a nice, heartfelt film about emotion, loss, and dealing with challenges and relationships.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Late Bloomers. I'm a sucker for Karen Gillan ever since Dr. Who. This is one of her better acting performances. Young woman has quite a few issues. She breaks her him and is thrust into a world of old ladies in physical therapy. Builds a relationship with an old Polish lady. Then details are revealed about the young woman and why she's in NYC not CA. Flashbacks with her mom and eventually it comes full circle. It's a nice, heartfelt film about emotion, loss, and dealing with challenges and relationships.
Breaks her Hip.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score

I always complain about actors being much older than the characters they are playing. Well that is nothing new apparently. This had a bunch of mid to late 20s actors playing high schoolers, or a 21 year old in Fiorentino's case.

It was actually filmed in and around Spokane, kudos for that. But for whatever reason they changed the names of all the schools.

edit--oh yeah, Madonna was playing live music in a bar in one scene, it was fairly early in her career, before she turned into a weirdo. Several of her songs were featured throughout the film.
Lunatic Fringe! The video should have been re-labled Lunatic Cringe

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Pretty good.

I really liked Austin Amelio. That part was important and could have spiraled easily. Half the actors playing dirty cops in the last 30 years are doing a Gary Oldman from The Professional imitation, but Amelio played the character more low key and as a little bit stupider, which totally worked.
It would've been weird watching Amelio do an Oldman impersonation in a scene with Powell, who looks like a young Oldman.

Anyway, I enjoyed it for what it was. I think Powell is an engaging actor, and Anjora brought back shades of Salma Hayek from Desperado.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom