Recently Watched Movies 2024 | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2024

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
"Incoming" is new on Netflix, the latest attempt to revitalize the raunchy comedy. I think they actually got it right. This is what "Bad Boys" was trying to be, but that was a steaming pile of garbage. Definitely raunchy, and a bit gonzo at times, but had some heart too. Probably a smart choice that they went with mostly unknowns for the cast, except for a few established older actors. It was also a "The Mick" reunion, with Kaitlin Olson (playing Kaitlin Olson as only she can), Scott MacArthur and Thomas Barbusca. Basic plot line, 4 buddies starting their freshman year of high school, trying to establish themselves as cool. The older brother of one of them is throwing a big party, so that is their chance to introduce themselves to their new world. Bobby Cannavale played a science teacher unlike any you've ever seen before. I got some pretty good laughs out of this.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I've seen mixed reviews on "Fall Guy." I loved it. Sure, it's a bit contrived and a bit silly, but I found it very entertaining, and in the end it's a good vehicle to see Gosling and Blunt be charming movie stars.

Saw "Arthur the King' recently as well. Good, maybe not quite as good as I was hoping. I might've preferred to see a documentary rather than a dramatization about it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"Boy Kills World" is pretty crazy. Right up there with "The Raid Redemption" for most violent and visceral movies I've seen. But totally farcical too. Hard to decide how to feel about it. There was some good fight choreography. And Jessica Rothe, so it has that going for it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"Armenia, My Home" is an interesting, brief documentary about Armenia. Looks like a beautiful country with a rich, but tragic history. I'd learned a little bit about it before, enjoyed finding out some more.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Instigators. Matt Damon, Casey Affleck. On Apple+. This was the most Boston movie ever made. The number of inside jokes was amazing. Loved it. It was a blast and Casey is a better actor than Ben. As for plot, Damon and Affleck are working a job, criminal in nature, and then are stuck trying to save themselves. Highly recommended.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The Instigators. Matt Damon, Casey Affleck. On Apple+. This was the most Boston movie ever made. The number of inside jokes was amazing. Loved it. It was a blast and Casey is a better actor than Ben. As for plot, Damon and Affleck are working a job, criminal in nature, and then are stuck trying to save themselves. Highly recommended.
I enjoyed it too, and mostly for the same reason - Boston. I also think that Casey and Matt have better comedic chemistry than Ben and Matt (I'll make an exception for Dogma). That said, Boston and these two Boston doofuses make the movie. It's not a particularly brilliant plot or execution, all the Boston-ness makes it good.

I'll also note that even with all the Boston-ness, I still think Gone Baby Gone is the ultimate Boston movie (also starring Casey and directed by Ben).

But great ad to promote the movie:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I enjoyed it too, and mostly for the same reason - Boston. I also think that Casey and Matt have better comedic chemistry than Ben and Matt (I'll make an exception for Dogma). That said, Boston and these two Boston doofuses make the movie. It's not a particularly brilliant plot or execution, all the Boston-ness makes it good.

I'll also note that even with all the Boston-ness, I still think Gone Baby Gone is the ultimate Boston movie (also starring Casey and directed by Ben).

But great ad to promote the movie:

It’s like a two hour running inside gag. If you get the jokes, the mockery of the north shore for example, it’s lots of fun.

Reaction Score
Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes. 2024. Dam dirty apes, they keep making these pictures and I keep watching them. Not a bad next installment. They really know how to make these pictures in a way that feels authentic. The film makers do a goo job of focusing on the story and NOT on the special effects.

The story centers on the micro-culture ape village that practices falconry, The Eagle Clan. The larger world intrudes, nearly destroys the Eagle Clan. A single individual then sets out to save the clan from a Roman Emperor wannbe that has set up a dystopian "kingdom."

It is well written, nicely filmed, well acted, and the material is taken seriously. Of course, some folks will never get past the fact it is an ape movie. It ain't for everyone. I enjoyed it. Two and a half stars.

Reaction Score
I've been out of town a lot lately, so I froze all my holds from the library. When I finally unfroze them, I was at the top of the list for a bunch of them, so I have some movies to catch up on.

"The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare" was entertaining. Henry Cavill is always charismatic. Alan Ritchson's character in this was even more bad *** than Reacher. Always enjoy seeing Eiza Gonzalez too.

I thought "Dune Part 2" was much, much better than Part 1. Plus you have Florence Pugh, Lea Seydoux and Anya Taylor-Joy (uncredited for some reason) all in one movie. Austin Butler was good as Feyd-Rautha. Not quite sure about Christopher Walken as the Emperor. He was just a bit too Christopher Walken for the role.
Agree on Ritchson...he was terrific in this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1

Top Bottom