Recently Watched Movies 2024 | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2024

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Knox Goes Away. Stars and directed by Michael Keaton. He plays John Knox, a hitman for a crime boss, former military and supposedly very intelligent. Reads a lot of books. He gets a dementia diagnosis and some other things occur around that time (no spoilers). He knows he, as he knows himself, is "going away". He has to race against time and his disease to put some things right as best he can before that happens. He struggles to execute his own elaborate plot. I thought this was really quite well done. Keaton is very good and the story holds my attention, even if you can figure out what he has planned.

I had seen this popping up for some time, but for those who have or had family members suffering from Demetia (in whatever form) it could be a tough watch. Knew my wife wouldn't want to see it.
Never heard of it. Sounds good. Too bad I don't sub to Max so will need to wait.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Old (2021) - An M Night movie where people go to a resort and end up on a beach. Then they start aging fast. Turns out they're part of a science experiment.

Interesting. Better than getting power slapped.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Old (2021) - An M Night movie where people go to a resort and end up on a beach. Then they start aging fast. Turns out they're part of a science experiment.

I bet Rufus Sewell regrets being in this one.

Interesting premise, but too many holes in logic and too much meh acting to rise to the promise of the idea.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I was temped several times, but the premise just seemed so stupid.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I was temped several times, but the premise just seemed so stupid.
It came on and we were just too lazy to change the station.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
"Inside the Mind of a Dog" is a new documentary on Netflix. Narrated by Rob Lowe. Fairly good. It focused mostly on service dogs rather then pets. Actual scientific study of dog psychology and cognition is relatively new, so much is being discovered and learned. Hey @triaddukefan , Duke actually runs a dog kindergarten program.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Not new and I've seen it before, but it's been a long time. Just watched "Layer Cake" again. Has held up well over time, really solid movie, really good cast. Also nice sound track. That ending...:oops:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Fast 5. Wanted something simple and I missed the middle 5-6-7 of these movies, which were evidently the best ones. At this stage the crew (Paul Walker, VIN Diesel, Jordana Brewster) are crooks but protagonists. They are in Rio and The Rock FBI dude is after them. Robbing a cartel boss to try to buy their freedom is the plan. It’s silly fun. The Rock (Hobbs) hires Elsa Pataki, incorruptible local cop. Wow is she pretty in this, even compared to Gal Gadot and Jordana Brewster. Lots of cool cars, stunts and some impressive driving. Joaquim de Almeida is good as the cartel head.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Kind of on a whim, I watched "Attraction" on Amazon Prime. It's a Russian sci fi movie. I enjoyed it. Not great, but interesting enough. FX was pretty good, for a film that probably cost a fraction of what Hollywood usually spends on something similar. There's a sequel I'll have to check out.

One note, I started watching the English dub. That drives me crazy when you see a person's mouth move and it's obvious it doesn't match the words you are hearing. I couldn't change the language, but I scrolled thru the list of newer releases and found another version that is in Russian with subtitles. That worked better for me.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Okay, I watched "Attraction 2." It's like many American sequels: seems to lose whatever worked in the first movie, and went for bigger and more, but lost the story.

Reaction Score
The Notebook (2004):

The movie flooded girls' Facebook pages early in my college years and I've seen clips here and there. My wife recently saw the show on Broadway and after weeks of calling audible, I finally OK'd watching it with her last night.

Honestly, it's a good movie. Even though it's clear how it's going to end, it creates tension that lasts throughout and climaxes at the end and then what do you know, the tears start falling. Ugly tears.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Notebook (2004):

The movie flooded girls' Facebook pages early in my college years and I've seen clips here and there. My wife recently saw the show on Broadway and after weeks of calling audible, I finally OK'd watching it with her last night.

Honestly, it's a good movie. Even though it's clear how it's going to end, it creates tension that lasts throughout and climaxes at the end and then what do you know, the tears start falling. Ugly tears.
I'm thinking of seeing the show on Broadway. It's getting good reviews.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Ferrari 2023 - Adam Driver, Penelope Cruz and Shailene Woodley. Just a dull movie. It was a tired love triangle that I had trouble caring about. The business side of Ferrari was a little more interesting than the dull love triangle, but only a little. The Mille Miglia race at the end was pretty good, but there is not much context for the race within the larger story.

I don't think Michael Mann knew what he was trying to do with this movie. Penelope Cruz's character was too wild, Driver was all over the place in his portrayal of Enzo Ferrari, and Woodley was kind of wasted in this movie.

Reaction Score
Ferrari 2023 - Adam Driver, Penelope Cruz and Shailene Woodley. Just a dull movie. It was a tired love triangle that I had trouble caring about. The business side of Ferrari was a little more interesting than the dull love triangle, but only a little. The Mille Miglia race at the end was pretty good, but there is not much context for the race within the larger story.

I don't think Michael Mann knew what he was trying to do with this movie. Penelope Cruz's character was too wild, Driver was all over the place in his portrayal of Enzo Ferrari, and Woodley was kind of wasted in this movie.

I love Michael Mann, and I like cars and racing. But I had zero interest in this movie. And now have less.

Hopefully he hasn’t lost his touch because he is making Heat II next.

Reaction Score
I love Michael Mann, and I like cars and racing. But I had zero interest in this movie. And now have less.

Hopefully he hasn’t lost his touch because he is making Heat II next.
Michael Mann is also one of my favorites. Heat is maybe 20 minutes too long but it's one of my all-time favorite movies and the bank shootout scene is still the best thing I've ever seen on film.

Manhunter, The Last of the Mohicans, Thief, The Insider, Collateral are all great movies.

He's no kid anymore, 81 years old. I don't think he's starting filming on Heat 2 for a while.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Michael Mann is also one of my favorites. Heat is maybe 20 minutes too long but it's one of my all-time favorite movies and the bank shootout scene is still the best thing I've ever seen on film.

Manhunter, The Last of the Mohicans, Thief, The Insider, Collateral are all great movies.

He's no kid anymore, 81 years old. I don't think he's starting filming on Heat 2 for a while.
He's 81? Wow.

Reaction Score

It’s Greenlit though.

The book was really good.

I like all those movies and Heat is my all time favorite.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Clint is still directing at 94 years old.
It's not that, it's that my first real recollection of him was Miami Vice, and so I always sort of thought of him as younger. He was already over 40 in 1984.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Renfield (2023) - This movie had moments, and should have been so much better. The concept of a dysfunctional, co-dependent work relationship involving Dracula is clever, and Nicholas Hoult is perfect for the role of Dracula's assistant. Nicholas Cage gets to chew the scenery, which is what he is good at. Not sure what happens after that.

I realize that the movie needs a plot, but the second half of the movie is ridiculous. It tries to satirize horror films, which is a pretty big lane change from where the movie starts. Awkwafina and Ben Schwarz are good supporting actors, but...the second half is just kind of weird. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. I think the movie should have gone smaller and focused on the main two characters, with maybe Awkwafina as a love interest for Hoult.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Dark Waters (2019) - This is a true story about a massive industrial pollution case in Appalachia. Mark Ruffalo stars as a Cincinnati lawyer that grows a conscience and goes after one of the biggest, baddest corporations of that era. My biggest criticism of Mark Ruffalo is that he doesn't have a lot of charisma, which makes him perfect for this role. The lawyer he plays is a middle of the pack lawyer at a middle of the pack law firm in the middle of the pack city of Cincinnati. He is average in every way, until he does something incredible. It is one of the more interesting hero stories I have seen.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes" is on Hulu. Not sure exactly what I was expecting...but that wasn't it. Too long (2.5 hours), pacing issues, story wasn't great. Over reliance on CGI. Didn't really connect with most of the ape characters. Kevin Durand was pretty good as Proximus. Freya Allan was the best thing about the movie. Definitely a watch it once, then completely forget about it kind of movie.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes" is on Hulu. Not sure exactly what I was expecting...but that wasn't it. Too long (2.5 hours), pacing issues, story wasn't great. Over reliance on CGI. Didn't really connect with most of the ape characters. Kevin Durand was pretty good as Proximus. Freya Allan was the best thing about the movie. Definitely a watch it once, then completely forget about it kind of movie.
For whatever reason, I never connected with the planet of the apes remakes. The quality is there in terms of CGI, but the stories that I watched are just meh.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
For whatever reason, I never connected with the planet of the apes remakes. The quality is there in terms of CGI, but the stories that I watched are just meh.
I liked #1 and #3, #2 didn't do much for me.

This last one seems like it leaves the door open for an infinite number of sequels.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I've been out of town a lot lately, so I froze all my holds from the library. When I finally unfroze them, I was at the top of the list for a bunch of them, so I have some movies to catch up on.

"The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare" was entertaining. Henry Cavill is always charismatic. Alan Ritchson's character in this was even more bad *** than Reacher. Always enjoy seeing Eiza Gonzalez too.

I thought "Dune Part 2" was much, much better than Part 1. Plus you have Florence Pugh, Lea Seydoux and Anya Taylor-Joy (uncredited for some reason) all in one movie. Austin Butler was good as Feyd-Rautha. Not quite sure about Christopher Walken as the Emperor. He was just a bit too Christopher Walken for the role.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1

Top Bottom