Recently Seen in 2019 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Recently Seen in 2019

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Bad Times at the El Royale

I definitely enjoyed this one. The actors and music are great but not sure of it's rewatchability. Seemed like a Tarantino movie. No real point just fun.

Just watched this. Fairly different than what I expected. I enjoyed it well enough, but it got off to a REALLY slow start. Probably 45 minutes to actually get moving. That was too long and unnecessary. There were a lot of flashbacks and back stories of various characters sprinkled throughout, kept derailing the narrative. That could've been edited/streamlined better I thought. 2:20-ish is a fairly long run time, again editing should've trimmed that down somewhat.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Just watched this. Fairly different than what I expected. I enjoyed it well enough, but it got off to a REALLY slow start. Probably 45 minutes to actually get moving. That was too long and unnecessary. There were a lot of flashbacks and back stories of various characters sprinkled throughout, kept derailing the narrative. That could've been edited/streamlined better I thought. 2:20-ish is a fairly long run time, again editing should've trimmed that down somewhat.

Agreed, really could have cut about 20 minutes and wouldn't have hurt it.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
"A Birder's Guide To Everything" (2013)

As a birder it had me laughing at it's silliness. Hunting a migrating sea duck through CT's Cockaponsett State Forest? Okaaaaaay.

Overall a cute movie. The Young Birder Society was a noble effort for a school club.

Reaction Score

As a birder it had me laughing at it's silliness. Hunting a migrating sea duck through CT's Cockaponsett State Forest? Okaaaaaay.

Overall a cute movie. The Young Birder Society was a noble effort for a school club.

Good to know I am not the only birder hanging out on the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
Sicario: Day of the Soldado - Quality. Great set pieces and acting. Well shot and a nice pace to it. Just wish they could’ve figured out a better ending, won’t elaborate so as not to spoil it. A real solid flick. First ones still gets the edge.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Good to know I am not the only birder hanging out on the Boneyard.
A couple weeks ago I spotted a redpoll on my nyjer tube feeder in my North Madison yard. Still excited about it.

Reaction Score
A couple weeks ago I spotted a redpoll on my nyjer tube feeder in my North Madison yard. Still excited about it.

That is something to be excited about. Not quite on the same level, but we live in Norwich and have had a red breasted nuthatch visiting our feeders consistently since a week or two before Thanksgiving. I'm quite pleased with that.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
That is something to be excited about. Not quite on the same level, but we live in Norwich and have had a red breasted nuthatch visiting our feeders consistently since a week or two before Thanksgiving. I'm quite pleased with that.
I've been neglecting my suet cage but still haven't seen, nor heard, a RBNH. Hoping.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Have you seen The Big Year?

The Big Year (2011) - IMDb

Pretty funny even for those that aren't birders.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I recall it got lukewarm reviews. However, I thought it was very good.
I have a book of bird anecdotes where one story was a guy goes birding with buddies and two of them trek off in the woods in search of some bird. The third guy stays at the car. The two trekkers return unsuccessful but the guy at the car got the bird. Reminded me of Jack Black not getting the Great Gray Owl but his dad did with a lot less effort. Funny and sappy.

Reaction Score
I've been neglecting my suet cage but still haven't seen, nor heard, a RBNH. Hoping.
I think you guys are taking the title of the thread too literally. Lol.

I'm only joking, the birder talk is actually interesting. Maybe we can get a new subforum going. Must be super popular on the Women's board.

Reaction Score
The Oath - Yeesh. Needed more funny. Walked a really fine line between satire and a dark edge that it was trying to use to kinda be a message movie. Plays on your worst fears of what could really happen in this country, and sadly it’s major plot points aren’t all that far fetched in this day and age’s political climate.

Tomb Raider - Of the many videogame characters that are ripe for a movie treatment TR ought to have been probably the easiest to make into a compelling film. They’ve now failed three times on this property alone. I have no hope they’ll get Metal Gear Solid or Uncharted right either.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Past week:

Coal Miner's Daughter (1980) - 31 year old Sissy Spacek playing a 13 year old Loretta Lynn. Wow. And 33 year old Tommy Lee Jones plays a 21 year old kid wooing Loretta. Overall a good movie. Beverly D'Angelo looks excellent as Patsy Cline.

The Happening (2008) - An M. Night Shyalaman flick where the landscaping emits toxins that kill folk over a day. Mark Wahlberg in a weak performance.

Unbreakable (2000) - Bruce Willis and Sammy Jackson in this M. Night. Shyalaman movie. First time watching it. Kinda liked it. Will be looking up Split on the DVR during this bad weather weekend.

Reaction Score
Past week:

Coal Miner's Daughter (1980) - 31 year old Sissy Spacek playing a 13 year old Loretta Lynn. Wow. And 33 year old Tommy Lee Jones plays a 21 year old kid wooing Loretta. Overall a good movie. Beverly D'Angelo looks excellent as Patsy Cline.

The Happening (2008) - An M. Night Shyalaman flick where the landscaping emits toxins that kill folk over a day. Mark Wahlberg in a weak performance.

Unbreakable (2000) - Bruce Willis and Sammy Jackson in this M. Night. Shyalaman movie. First time watching it. Kinda liked it. Will be looking up Split on the DVR during this bad weather weekend.

Coal Miner's Daughter was on television a day or two ago. One of those movies that we will watch whenever we come across it, which hasn't been for quite a while for us. I like it, my wife absolutely loves it. Excellent roles for both Spacek and Tommy Lee Jones.

Reaction Score
Legit one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Reaction Score
The Oath - Yeesh. Needed more funny. Walked a really fine line between satire and a dark edge that it was trying to use to kinda be a message movie. Plays on your worst fears of what could really happen in this country, and sadly it’s major plot points aren’t all that far fetched in this day and age’s political climate.

Tomb Raider - Of the many videogame characters that are ripe for a movie treatment TR ought to have been probably the easiest to make into a compelling film. They’ve now failed three times on this property alone. I have no hope they’ll get Metal Gear Solid or Uncharted right either.

Metal Gear Solid has a good director. Jordan Vogt Roberts of Kong game. He’s a total Metal Gear Junkee.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Coal Miner's Daughter was on television a day or two ago. One of those movies that we will watch whenever we come across it, which hasn't been for quite a while for us. I like it, my wife absolutely loves it. Excellent roles for both Spacek and Tommy Lee Jones.
And Levon!

Reaction Score
Watched “MId-90’s” today. Low budget flick written and directed by Jonah Hill. About a young kid that gets caught up in a small bunch of California skate punks. Not a happy lighthearted story but I thought it was done well. I’ll watch a movie like this over garbage like Transformers all day.

Reaction Score
Just saw "Eighth Grade", another in a line of recent quality teenager coming of age movies about misunderstood self conscious kids trying to navigate their time in school that have come across my way the last few years. No question that it is a well done film. Still, while their is definitely quality to it, I find that at least for me it isn't on the same level as such films as "Perks of Being a Wallflower", "Me and Earl and the Dying Girl", and "Lady Bird", the best recent examples of this genre, or for that matter "Edge of Seventeen" and "A Birders Guide to Everything", both of which are a step or two below the other three movies mentioned beforehand. The focus in "Eighth Grade is very much solely on the lead character with little else to get in the way of this laser like attention, with little else to divert your attention to the lead character. Still, if you are into watching films about overly self conscious teens in the process of growing up, I would say this is probably worth your time.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Just saw "Eight Grade", another in a line of recent quality teenager coming of age movies about misunderstood self conscious kids trying to navigate their time in school that have come across my way the last few years. No question that it is a well done film. Still, while their is definitely quality to it, I find that at least for me it isn't on the same level as such films as "Perks of Being a Wallflower", "Me and Earl and the Dying Girl", and "Lady Bird", the best recent examples of this genre, or for that matter "Edge of Seventeen" and "A Birders Guide to Everything", both of which are a step or two below the other three movies mentioned beforehand. The focus in "Eighth Grade is very much solely on the lead character with little else to get in the way of this laser like attention, with little else to divert your attention to the lead character. Still, if you are into watching films about overly self conscious teens in the process of growing up, I would say this is probably worth your time.

While it certainly had some quality elements, I found it really hard to watch. It was just so awkward and uncomfortable throughout almost the entire run time, I was cringing almost non stop.

Reaction Score
While it certainly had some quality elements, I found it really hard to watch. It was just so awkward and uncomfortable throughout almost the entire run time, I was cringing almost non stop.

Definitely understand your reaction to this movie. It is part of the reason why I prefer the movies I mentioned in my previous post.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just saw "Eight Grade", another in a line of recent quality teenager coming of age movies about misunderstood self conscious kids trying to navigate their time in school that have come across my way the last few years. No question that it is a well done film. Still, while their is definitely quality to it, I find that at least for me it isn't on the same level as such films as "Perks of Being a Wallflower", "Me and Earl and the Dying Girl", and "Lady Bird", the best recent examples of this genre, or for that matter "Edge of Seventeen" and "A Birders Guide to Everything", both of which are a step or two below the other three movies mentioned beforehand. The focus in "Eighth Grade is very much solely on the lead character with little else to get in the way of this laser like attention, with little else to divert your attention to the lead character. Still, if you are into watching films about overly self conscious teens in the process of growing up, I would say this is probably worth your time.
Definitely understand your reaction to this movie. It is part of the reason why I prefer the movies I mentioned in my previous post.
I saw Eighth Grade in the theater over the summer with my wife and three teen daughters. They enjoyed it and thought it was a pretty accurate depiction. I thought it was good but found it annoying after a while because I live with enough of that nonsense and drama that I didn't need to be hit over the head with it for two hours; and I thought it could have been a little edgier. I also enjoyed Lady Bird much more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom