Recently Seen in 2019

Watched Abducted in Plain Sight on Netflix this weekend. Documentary about a girl who was kidnapped at age 13 by someone the family knew. I won't share where the story goes from there, but it's absolutely jaw-dropping. My girlfriend kept saying "There's no way this could actually happen". Good 90 minute watch.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
I vaguely remember "The House of Yes" being on my radar when it came out (1997?!--could it really have been that long ago?), but I never got around to watching it. Finally streamed it last night on Hoopla. Huh. I think it's somewhat divisive, it contains a plot element that is a very taboo subject. I found it to be wickedly funny w/ some great snappy dialogue and a number of good performances. It's based off of a play and feels more like play than a movie. Cast of 5 almost entirely set in 1 location. A young man brings his fiance to his family's home to meet them for the first at Thanksgiving. Everything goes spectacularly wrong. His mom, twin sister and younger brother are all bats**t crazy in different ways. I thought all of the cast played their roles well but Parker Posey in particular shined.

Dove

Voted Top 100 Funniest Poster in 2001, 2004, 2009
Velvet Buzzsaw - As noted by @intlzncster there is a great cast here. Rene Rousseau and Jake Gillenhall star.

I enjoyed it but my wife was bored. The art world was seriously spoofed in this movie which I thought was hysterical. The horror theme was original and well-played. Worth a watch.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Velvet Buzzsaw - As noted by @intlzncster there is a great cast here. Rene Rousseau and Jake Gillenhall star.

I enjoyed it but my wife was bored. The art world was seriously spoofed in this movie which I thought was hysterical. The horror theme was original and well-played. Worth a watch.
He's terrible at generic Hollywood leading man type roles, but if you give Jake G some character-actor stuff to chew on, he's phenomenal. Nightcrawler was a tour de force.

I also liked Velvet Buzzsaw but it was no where near as good as Nightcrawler and I can totally understand someone hating it.

I just finished Cobra Kai. It was full of cliches but for a kid who grew up with the movie, I loved it.