Recently Seen in 2019 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Recently Seen in 2019

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I was waffling back and forth but finally saw Captain Marvel. It was entertaining, I enjoyed it. While not the best of the Marvel Studios movies, it certainly wasn't the worst, I'd say solidly somewhere in the middle.

Reaction Score
Just saw "Can You Ever Forgive Me?". Solid film starring Melissa McCarthy as Lee Israel, a down on her luck writer who takes to forging personnel letters by famous people of the past and selling them to dealers. The two main reasons for seeing this are McCarthy, who plays a character who rates very low in possessing positive personality traits and likability, other than the fact that she writes some rather funny letters, and her accomplice in crime, Richard E. Grant, a homeless gay man who share a rather interesting love/hate relationship. Jane Curtin of Saturday Night Live fame also has a small role, it's always good to see her pop up.

Reaction Score
Free Solo.

Pretty good documentary. However I found the climber, Alex Honnold to be kind of a narcissist. I guess you have to be a bit of one to climb rocks like that without a rope, because nobody that actually loves anyone would do such a thing.

Even still, I fully recommend this one. I saw it for free on Nat Geo on demand.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"Glass." Shyamalan resurrected his career somewhat w/ "Split" but he couldn't keep the momentum going. Kind of outsmarted himself. It was okay but kind of slow to get going and the twist...meh.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Bright had potential, I was excited to see it, but my goodness that was so clunky. Just terrible.

That one really crashed pretty hard.

Feels like Netflix sets up these movies with everything they need and then skimps on the script, the editors and the schedule.

Reaction Score
That one really crashed pretty hard.

Feels like Netflix sets up these movies with everything they need and then skimps on the script, the editors and the schedule.
I don't know a thing about who they have working for them, but they basically just built their own studio, so not surprising that they wouldn't get it right. Especially since they don't have box office returns to shoot for and measure success.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just saw "Can You Ever Forgive Me?". Solid film starring Melissa McCarthy as Lee Israel, a down on her luck writer who takes to forging personnel letters by famous people of the past and selling them to dealers. The two main reasons for seeing this are McCarthy, who plays a character who rates very low in possessing positive personality traits and likability, other than the fact that she writes some rather funny letters, and her accomplice in crime, Richard E. Grant, a homeless gay man who share a rather interesting love/hate relationship. Jane Curtin of Saturday Night Live fame also has a small role, it's always good to see her pop up.
I thought McCarthy was very good in that, but Grant was a revelation to me. I couldn't believe I had never seen him before. He was my pick for Best Supporting Actor.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I thought McCarthy was very good in that, but Grant was a revelation to me. I couldn't believe I had never seen him before. He was my pick for Best Supporting Actor.

He was in one of the greatest British cult (dark) comedies of all time.

1555533321199.png

Also, I believe he had a bit part in GOT.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

View attachment 42371

Someone else told me I had to see Withnail when told them I had loved his performance in this. I will have to check it out.

Reaction Score
Someone else told me I had to see Withnail when told them I had loved his performance in this. I will have to check it out.

I have a long list of movies I want to see, including a bunch that I have in my Netflix Queue. Not too long ago I added Withnail.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

If you like the genre, it's brilliant. His character is amazing.

Reaction Score
Saw a couple movies I have been waiting to see on plane trips for work this week.

Free Solo - A very unlikeable main character but fascinating story and footage. Three parts I loved were:

1) seeing the parts where he literally was gripping spots 2,000 ft up by a nickel sized indentation.

2) watching him scamper over the guy in a unicorn onesie

3) listening to him recite all his moves in preparation for his climb.

Also saw Green Book. I was glad I really didn’t know much about it other than the really basic plot. Was blown away by the performances. So friggin good. To use a pun, I thought they hit all the notes on this one.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

View attachment 42371

If you never seen "How to Get Ahead In Advertising", it's Grant as the lead role in a rather bizarre story.

And of course, Grant played Mayflower in the greatest movie of all time, "Hudson Hawk".

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Saw a couple movies I have been waiting to see on plane trips for work this week.
Free Solo - A very unlikeable main character but fascinating story and footage. Three parts I loved were:

He seems like he's probably autistic in some fashion.

Reaction Score
He seems like he's probably autistic in some fashion.

His Dad had Aspergers and he was most definitely on the spectrum. But completed one of the greatest feats of human physical achievement ever on record.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I haven't seen Free Solo. For those that enjoyed it, here's the star Honnold breaking down some climbing scenes from various Hollywood movies over the years. Just stumbled onto this, thought it was interesting.

Reaction Score
His Dad had Aspergers and he was most definitely on the spectrum. But completed one of the greatest feats of human physical achievement ever on record.

I think his unique personality is part of what enabled him to take such risks. I don’t think he sees the risk the same way we do.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yeah that’s in the movie as well. He’s also way different interpersonally. You can see that clearly.

I've yet to watch it. It's on my list. Read about the guy for years though. Fascinating.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Dead In A Week:

Fun movie about a depressed kid who fails many times at suicide. So he hires a hit man (Tom Wilkinson) to do it. But the kid falls in love soon after and wants to call it off.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I was in awe at how he described the maneuvers needed at any one point on the rock.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Saw Amazing Grace yesterday. They say it will show only in theaters and that's the way it should be for this one imo because you want to feel it like it was performed. It's an incredible documentary; fairly raw because Sydney Pollack made a technical error while filming it and was unable to sync the sound with the video so it was never finished. New digital technology made the syncing possible but apparently Aretha didn't love the film so it was stalled again until after she died.

Watching her is a revelation. Probably some of the finest proof of the divine that ever existed. Composure, confidence and supreme ability of which you can only be in awe. Realizing that she was only 29 at the time only increases the sense of wonder. I had never seen her father before and the scene where he speaks is a highlight. Reverend James Cleveland is essentially the co-star (maybe Aretha didn't like how much screen time he got?) and he is also great to watch. The choir director, Alexander Hamilton, may get the MVP though; he's the only one lucky enough to be able to dance the entire time. Cool cameos by Mick Jagger and Charlie Watts, who were recording Exile on Main Street locally at the time and came for the second night.

Highly recommended.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Saw Amazing Grace yesterday. They say it will show only in theaters and that's the way it should be for this one imo because you want to feel it like it was performed. It's an incredible documentary; fairly raw because Sydney Pollack made a technical error while filming it and was unable to sync the sound with the video so it was never finished. New digital technology made the syncing possible but apparently Aretha didn't love the film so it was stalled again until after she died.

If it does well (and it probably will), they'll walk back on that in a split second. No chance they miss an opportunity to make more money off of it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom