Recently Seen in 2019

-

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
I was aware of it, but hadn't seen "Denial" yet. Excellent film. Good performances all around.

Dove

Son of Wayne. Friend of Tony.
Peppermint

Jennifer Garner goes all vigilante on a drug cartel with revenge as her motive. And she's pretty damned good!!

I recommend if you need a lot of kills in your life.

nwhoopfan

"Above the Shadows" was a bit of an odd film, have to suspend disbelief right from the beginning, but I enjoyed it. About a girl who "disappears" when she's 12, nobody can see or hear her anymore, although she is still alive. As an adult her unique situation is perfect for her chosen profession as a free lancer photographer who gets lots of compromising photos for the tabloids. Then one day a bouncer in a club actually sees her, changing everything. She tries to help him get his MMA fighting career back on track and maybe he can help her be an actual person again...or maybe not. I mainly watched it because I'm a big fan of Olivia Thirlby, she did not disappoint.

I had low expectations for X-Men: Dark Phoenix, but even then it was disappointing. The first half or more was just plain boring. By the time the action started I just didn't care about any of the characters. The franchise has been so massively mishandled and mismanaged at nearly every step. The time line contrivances and continuity issues are mind boggling. So glad Fox won't be allowed to ruin this property any more beyond this point.
Just watched this last night. I figured these films, with the younger cast, were a "reboot / origin story" that still acknowledged that the previous iterations existed. I stand corrected.

You just can't have the same characters with a different storyline and ending to the same characters. Incoherent story telling.

Granted the first movie was nearly 20 years ago, but the two iterations are actually only separated by 5 years. The last of the original cast was in 2006 and the first of the new cast was 2011.

Last edited:
Personal Shopper - Ghostly story starring Kristen Stewart, who has her mental antennae tuned up and geared for looking for signs that her recently dead twin brother may be trying to contact her from the great beyond. A not great but solid film that definitely keeps your attention. Stewart is quite good in this, which is fortunate since she is pretty much the whole story in this one. However, anyone who is inclined to need a definitive conclusion to this film is likely to be a bit disappointed.

nwhoopfan

However, anyone who is inclined to need a definitive conclusion to this film is likely to be a bit disappointed.
Hollywood doesn't really do definitive conclusions anymore it seems.

nwhoopfan

Finally saw "Yesterday." Entertaining, I enjoyed it. Not quite as lighthearted or whimsical as I thought it would be based on the previews. I believe this was the debut for the lead, Himish Patel. I liked him. Lily James...what can I say? I always like her, so charming, so adorable. Kate McKinnon is hit and miss for me but I found her quite funny in her limited screen time. Lamorne Morris (from New Girl) was only in one scene, I like that guy, I hope he finds some success in movies. Ana de Armas unfortunately hit the cutting room floor (she was in the previews; I hate it when they do that) but she's in the deleted scenes.

Anyway worth a watch I thought. I'm not a huge Beatles fan but I definitely enjoyed the music.