Recent interview with Caroline's High School Coach | The Boneyard

Recent interview with Caroline's High School Coach

Reaction Score
Have been a BY visitor for about a year. Began following UConn since a fellow Bay Stater, Rebecca Lobo, helped them to their first National Title. Now, I'm an unabashed fan of another Bay Stater, Caroline Ducharme. Love her all around game. Pulling for her to get completely healthy and continue to improve her game. Found this the other day and wanted to share with the BY. Excellent interview. If you're a fan of Caroline, you'll probably like her even more after watching this.

Reaction Score
Have been a BY visitor for about a year. Began following UConn since a fellow Bay Stater, Rebecca Lobo, helped them to their first National Title. Now, I'm an unabashed fan of another Bay Stater, Caroline Ducharme. Love her all around game. Pulling for her to get completely healthy and continue to improve her game. Found this the other day and wanted to share with the BY. Excellent interview. If you're a fan of Caroline, you'll probably like her even more after watching this.

Everyone should watch this. It will make you love her and root for her even more. This coach, who is very lucid, knows her best as a player after coaching her for 5 years. He confirms what many of us are hoping which is that it's fits and starts with her until she finds her rhythm but that it is coming and that he has seen signs of it in the last games. He watches every UCONN game. As has been previously posted by myself and others, if she gets there, we get to the NC game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Welcome!

The Bay State has been very good to UConn. Rebecca Lobo, Kara Wolters, and Carla Berube laid some important pieces of the foundation of the Huskies. Caroline will do her part as well before she’s done. :)

Reaction Score
Everyone should watch this. It will make you love her and root for her even more. This coach, who is very lucid, knows her best as a player after coaching her for 5 years. He confirms what many of us are hoping which is that it's fits and starts with her until she finds her rhythm but that it is coming and that he has seen signs of it in the last games. He watches every UCONN game. As has been previously posted by myself and others, if she gets there, we get to the NC game.
I watched the whole video and Coach Gallagher backed up my opinion of Caroline Ducharme perfectly and he should know after coaching her for 5 years. The first thing I have always said is her that she is the grittiest player I have seen. She is all basketball. She is team orientated. When called for, she is a player that can take over a team and lead. She is who Uconn is. Once she gets really healthy she will shine. Carolie and the team we now have and the team we will have in the next few years will be spectacular. Our future is assured and I will love every moment of it. There is a video of Ashlyn Shade that I watched and Ashlyn will be another Caroline. 100% all basketball and dedicated to Uconn! GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
Thanks Junkman! That podcast was one of the most informative and interesting interviews I have seen in quite a while. The questions had complexity that brought out thoughtful answers. The coach was very impressive. Junkman is correct-- I appreciate and like Caroline more than ever. I watched the last few games and just focused on Caroline 100%. She moves without the ball, as well as, if not better than anyone on UConn. She also has a nice balance of outside and inside offense. Lately, her help defense inside has caused many turnovers. Moreover, she cuts to the basket often and with precision.
I submit that Caroline is one of the best 6th man in the nation. If she is on the floor (even as the 5th best player for UConn) she contributes at a very high level and in so many areas. Her rebounding is pretty nice too. With Aubrey, when Azzi comes back, UConn has the best bench in the nation.

Reaction Score

A GREAT VIDEO! Coach Gallagher said it all: "She's a WARRIOR!". I believe
we will see nice combination when Ashlynn Shade and Caroline share the
floor together. Geno and C.D. will " not have to coach effort and discipline".
Note the nice stories about Nobles WBB games with Tabor ACADEMY. (aka Molly Bent)

Reaction Score
I know this is a tangent, but Bri has really improved as an interviewer in her time at UConn. I don't think she could have managed this interview so well two years ago.

Coach's description of the Caroline he remembers (and still watches) lines up with what I've seen, too. This is why I always say she's the key to our NC run. I don't think I can admire her more than I already do.

Reaction Score

This was an awesome interview. Wow!! So many nuggets of highlights to pick from but some of my favorites were, playing high school basketball as an 8th grader, not complaining about her role (at UConn) as the season progressed in her freshmen year, and her mental toughness. Those are some of the things that have made me appreciate and love Caroline so much. So many players (peers and their parents) would have been in the players' ear about playing time/you should be doing this or that. Caroline is just a treasure, and I am glad that she plays for UConn.

Reaction Score
He mentioned a game she scored 42 in. There is a different game on YouTube of a championship game where she just demolished the other team with a similar performance. This is a girl who is used to being # 1 and she intends to keep it that way. When she picked up her mvp trophy it was like casually picking up a participation award to her. This is excellence. It’s also no surprise to me that she’s motivated to make her family and friends proud. That’s the best sort of motivation.

Reaction Score

Outstanding interview with CD’s high school coach; impressive young woman.

Reaction Score
Is this the Tik Tok mentioned in the interview?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nicole Wolff was a Baystater right?
Yes, she was, as was her Dad who coached BU for 15 years. I could be wrong but I think Nicole and her Dad are the only father and daughter who both played basketball at UConn. Last I heard, her dad was coaching girl’s basketball at West Virginia or VTech, but I think he’s retired now.

Reaction Score
He mentioned a game she scored 42 in. There is a different game on YouTube of a championship game where she just demolished the other team with a similar performance. This is a girl who is used to being # 1 and she intends to keep it that way. When she picked up her mvp trophy it was like casually picking up a participation award to her. This is excellence. It’s also no surprise to me that she’s motivated to make her family and friends proud. That’s the best sort of motivation.
Can you post a link to this game, I'd love to see it.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
A few takeaways for me: Gallagher is brilliant. He's a high-school coach, probably not used to answering more than a few questions at a time. He did a half-hour interview with no uhs, y'knows, and all that, and gave substantive answers and told great stories. And Bri did a great job -- she asked open-ended questions and gave him plenty of space to answer them.

I love the story about the game when Caroline was an eighth grader. She put the team on her back. She sank a three, stole the ball and scored an and-one, then sank another three. The Noble crowd was chanting, "She's an 8th-grader, she's an 8th-grader." Caroline is sort-of an opposite of Stewie -- Stewie was always tall and deliberately developed guard skills. Caroline was a point guard who had a huge growth spurt and is developing an inside game. I also liked the anecdotes about her injuries -- she used the recovery time from the ACL to develop and improve her shots; became an extra coach when she was recovering from shoulder surgery. From what I've heard, she still spends a lot of time on the scouting reports and film.

Reaction Score
A few takeaways for me: Gallagher is brilliant. He's a high-school coach, probably not used to answering more than a few questions at a time. He did a half-hour interview with no uhs, y'knows, and all that, and gave substantive answers and told great stories. And Bri did a great job -- she asked open-ended questions and gave him plenty of space to answer them.

I love the story about the game when Caroline was an eighth grader. She put the team on her back. She sank a three, stole the ball and scored an and-one, then sank another three. The Noble crowd was chanting, "She's an 8th-grader, she's an 8th-grader." Caroline is sort-of an opposite of Stewie -- Stewie was always tall and deliberately developed guard skills. Caroline was a point guard who had a huge growth spurt and is developing an inside game. I also liked the anecdotes about her injuries -- she used the recovery time from the ACL to develop and improve her shots; became an extra coach when she was recovering from shoulder surgery. From what I've heard, she still spends a lot of time on the scouting reports and film.
Good chance Alex Gallagher isn't the only one here who is well above the norm in intellect. BYers have been known to talk about Caroline's heady game on court. That her parents both excelled at Williams College, often ranked #1 college in the country, and her sister Ashley has been all-Ivy academic as a basketball player at Brown tells me Caroline likely could have gone pretty much anywhere she wanted to for her academics if she hadn't been so darned good in basketball.

I have watched a few of Caroline's videos of big games at Nobles and, while the level of competition isn't that high, she clearly exhibited that knack for taking charge when it counted most. Some Boneyarders feel Caroline will serve the Huskies best from off the bench. I'm of the other persuasion who believes she's just too good not to be a starter going forward.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom