Rebounding | The Boneyard

Rebounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is one of the worst displays of rebounding that Ive ever seen. How many offensive boards have we given up this half, 30? Ridiculous. Thank god for The Boatshow.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
A few numbers:

Arkansas outrebounded us 40-33.

Arkansas had 23 offensive rebounds to our 4.

Arkansas took 77 shots to our 49.

Reaction Score
There are some players that can't really handle coming off the bench.

I think AO is one of those.

Reaction Score
A few numbers:

Arkansas outrebounded us 40-33.

Arkansas had 23 offensive rebounds to our 4.

Arkansas took 77 shots to our 49.
But they shot 31.2% for the game.
I generally agree that the rebounding has to be better, but those more wild, deep jumpers end up being easier for the offensive team to rebound.
They also didn't finish the chippies around the rim after the offensive rebounds. Abron may have had 12 offensive boards (that's ridiculous), but he shot 4-12 and was essentially fouling our guys every damn time.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
But they shot 31.2% for the game.
I generally agree that the rebounding has to be better, but those more wild, deep jumpers end up being easier for the offensive team to rebound. They also didn't finish the chippies around the rim after the offensive rebounds.

Part of it is the long shots, but Oriakhi and Olander didn't do a very good job boxing out, and they were outfought for a lot of balls.

Reaction Score
Part of it is the long shots, but Oriakhi and Olander didn't do a very good job boxing out, and they were outfought for a lot of balls.

The problem is Rico guys like Oriakhi and Drummond rebound with their arms. They don't look like they want to rebound, instead their playing volleyball. Olander was good today and has been our most stable and solid big man. However, he cannot bang down low. Calhoun needs to finalize a lineup so everyone can know their roles. Boatright like I have been saying is a star, and is our best overall player. Without him, we would have lost this game. Our defense is not good either on the perimeter or in the post. B.J. Young was scoring at will on Shabazz. This team needs a leader and needs to rebound and play defense.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
They get bad position down low, which means their bodies have to take weird angles to get to the ball. They need to do a better job of fighting for position from what I've seen. Olander does an OK job of getting in the right spot, but he doesn't seem strong enough to bang down low.

Reaction Score
The problem is Rico guys like Oriakhi and Drummond rebound with their arms. They don't look like they want to rebound, instead their playing volleyball. Olander was good today and has been our most stable and solid big man. However, he cannot bang down low. Calhoun needs to finalize a lineup so everyone can know their roles. Boatright like I have been saying is a star, and is our best overall player. Without him, we would have lost this game. Our defense is not good either on the perimeter or in the post. B.J. Young was scoring at will on Shabazz. This team needs a leader and needs to rebound and play defense.
Oriakhi averaged 9.6 rpg last year. Come on. He had 8 rebounds this game. Could it have been a few more? It always could be.

Reaction Score
Was going to post the same thing about the rebounding. Every time Arkansas put up a shot I was screaming, "Get the damn ball!" It seemed like every time the ball was batted around in the air by UConn players Arkansas then came up with the ball. Definitely something they need to work on.

Reaction Score
Another thing about the rebounding is AO & AD seem to have terrible timing. I've lost count how many times I've seen them coming down from their jumps as another player is going up to snatch a rebound.

Reaction Score
Well we had great timing on the blocks at least with 11. LOL.

Reaction Score
One thing was that Arkansas was sending 3-4 guys to the offensive glass every shot. Historically teams do not do that to Uconn becasue Uconn is a good reboundign team and could kill you in transitition. However, for whatever reason, Uconn has not been as effective getting quick points off made or missed baskets so maybe teams are more comfortable crashing. I'm sure JC realizes this and maybe tries to get Bazz the ball closer to midcourton the initial outlet and get Lamb and Daniels out faster.

Reaction Score
Rebounding and turnovers are combining to make the hump that this team needs to get over to go from being a dangerous team to a title contender. Improvement in both categories is achievable.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
There were issues with rebounding last year at this time ... a lot of it has to do with the team constantly going for the block and getting themselves out of position.

By the end of last year they were a force so I'm not convinced this will be a long term issue this season.

Reaction Score
They had position all night but didnt bury their a** in anyone. 2 guys who do not jump with exploseiveness and yet they don't put in thre effort to box out. PLus noth guys love to think they can block every shot even when helping on D and I promise you that's a great way of ebing out of position for a rebound. An awful job of rebounding but some good effort. The guards were real good but we will need some better board work in the BE.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
This is one of the worst displays of rebounding that Ive ever seen. How many offensive boards have we given up this half, 30? Ridiculous. Thank god for The Boatshow.
A lot of struggling snatch the ball, some snatching it then bringing it down so the opponent can grab it, failure to box out properly and failure to get to the better spot first...all fundamentals!

Reaction Score
A lot of struggling snatch the ball, some snatching it then bringing it down so the opponent can grab it, failure to box out properly and failure to get to the better spot first...all fundamentals!
Poor fundamentals are not usually a staple of JC coached teams. To me its pure laziness. Nobody making any effort at all to box their man out.

Reaction Score
Rebounding is about positioning and effort. Arkansas owned Uconn on both.

I will note that there were numerous over-the-back and lower-back-pushoff incidents that went uncalled... but it was clear early on that they weren't going to be called... so ADJUST. Oriakhi just kept letting that fat guy push him under the basket.

It was a very frustrating game to watch... Lamb's three fouls were all also pretty lame chippies, and when he is not in the game Uconn just isn't nearly as entertaining or exciting... I those those calls were very weird as well as otherwise the zebras seemed to let everyone play... For eg, Napier was pushed / knocked around almost every time down the court...

Uconn should do better regardless of the referees, they need to adjust to how each game is being officiated and played... My guess is that will come in time.

Adding Boatright makes their potential pretty ridiculous, he's very fun to watch

Reaction Score
Rebounding is about positioning and effort. Arkansas owned Uconn on both.

I will note that there were numerous over-the-back and lower-back-pushoff incidents that went uncalled... but it was clear early on that they weren't going to be called... so ADJUST. Oriakhi just kept letting that fat guy push him under the basket.

It was a very frustrating game to watch... Lamb's three fouls were all also pretty lame chippies, and when he is not in the game Uconn just isn't nearly as entertaining or exciting... I those those calls were very weird as well as otherwise the zebras seemed to let everyone play... For eg, Napier was pushed / knocked around almost every time down the court...

Uconn should do better regardless of the referees, they need to adjust to how each game is being officiated and played... My guess is that will come in time.

Adding Boatright makes their potential pretty ridiculous, he's very fun to watch
Boatright is ridiculously good and fun to watch. I literally cant wait til Thursday to see what he can do next.

Reaction Score
IMHO- we should be killing teams like UA on the boards with players like AO and AD. Earlier I thought the fact AD had a mask on and a busted nose should not make a difference but he did shy away from possible contact several times durning that game. Part of it was foul trouble- but he was timid and looking like he did not want to get bashed in the face again. I can't say I blame him but it does seem to limit his effectiveness grabbing rebounds.

Reaction Score
my feeling is that AD doesn't like to mix it up. I am sure as a HS'er he was bigger than most,so he didn't have to. He will learn as time goes by. AO will mix it up but we need RS to come of age by big east time. When AO learns that there is no shame in coming off the bench he will be fine. I believe in AO and he won't let us down. DD also needs to stop worrying about mistakes and play his game.

Reaction Score
my feeling is that AD doesn't like to mix it up. I am sure as a HS'er he was bigger than most,so he didn't have to. He will learn as time goes by. AO will mix it up but we need RS to come of age by big east time. When AO learns that there is no shame in coming off the bench he will be fine. I believe in AO and he won't let us down. DD also needs to stop worrying about mistakes and play his game.

This one post should break a record for the most likes not necessarily on content but style..................................... Thanks for fixing your caps lock key (if you did).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom