Rebounding | The Boneyard

Rebounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Up until now, I have always believed that desire has a lot to do with rebounding. The team that really wants the ball is going to get it most of the time. However, last night it seemed like our guys were out of position far too often. It seemed like QU was sending four guys to the boards to our two. Am I missing something?

Reaction Score
I don't know, it seems to me like there's been quite a few instances now where we end up having several guys going for the same board and crashing into each other and knocking the ball out of each other's hands.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The fact that our front court is comprised entirely of guys who were expected to be backup players, not starters?
That and the fact that our "center" is 6'9" and our PF is a 6'8" skinny wing could be part of the "problem". I watched the game and there were numerous occasions where Quinn. scored only after 1, or multiple O-boards by them. If we were able to rebound, we woulda won the game in regulation. It's something they need to desperately work on.

Reaction Score
I'm a big fan of the "one handed snatch rebound" where if you are right handed you put your left shoulder into the opponent to box out, reach for the ball with right hand and then bring left hand up to control the ball. This way you are width of body closer to ball than guy you are boxing out and you can reach and snatch with one hand faster than reach and grab with two. Seems like conventional wisdom is go up with two hand and box out with your back (or if Barkley with you butt). I see Giff and TO as two handed rebounders and they very often get out rebounded in a crowd as others reach for the ball with one hand. Thought AO in his time at Uconn got outrebounded a lot #1 'cause he was pushed out of position a lot (seemed to have high center of gravity so easy to push) and #2 he reached for ball with 2 hands slowly and others snatched it away.

Reaction Score
I think you're right 60s. Q sent their 4 and 5 to the glass and had their 2 and 3 waiting at the foul line for tip outs. Even though we outscored them transition, 18-6 or something like that, it should have been much more skewed in our favor. Q bigs did a great job of harassing the rebounder and limiting/stopping the outlet pass that would have got our break going. They executed well in the paint on their offensive end of the floor, but lost the game because they couldn't control what happened 5 feet from their hoop.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
The offensive rebounding has been very weak in part due to the fact that nearly all our players are setting up outside and we have been rushing outside shots, with often no one near the basket. Phil Nolan seems to find offensive rebounding position, but this could be due to good luck in his few minutes (needs more time to see if it's a pattern).

Reaction Score
The fact that our front court is comprised entirely of guys who were expected to be backup players, not starters?
good point

Reaction Score
I thought Daniels was supposed to be a starter this year?? I can understand why Michigan State and perhaps Wake Forest out-rebounded us but Quinnipiac and Vermont?

Reaction Score
So many things, strength, reading rebounds, getting position by boxing out on time, "hitting" people prior to them hitting you, etc etc........we obviously don't do any of them that well. I remember Jay Murphy playing at BC and he was a 6'10" 195 lber earlier in his career yet he got his share basically because he knew where they were and tapped them to himself, that's good basketball too. Hand strength helps but really, if you want to rebound you will and if you put the work in you will. Of course I may sound like a broken record but you can't block shots and be a great rebounder!! If you stay grounded and practice the hands in the face and turn and grind the butt into the shooter, and you all do it, you rebound!! I saw yesterday the long rebounds/loose balls came out, especially in the first half and our guards were both cheating out.....need one of them all in so we have 4. Boat got 7 the other night and that helps!!

Reaction Score
The Beatles said it best; "Money can't buy me boards". or something like that.

Reaction Score
Besides #'s going for a rebound we are undersized and you can't can't teach height. All the desire in the world falls short of just plain height. We are a perimeter team so we are not sending #'s to the offensive glass. We need to increase stops and run some more. Gotta love Bazz and Boat, but we need DD to show up now.RJ is a difference maker with his IQ for the game and his maturity, but we need an aircraft carrier out there to be elite.

Dribbles

Mrs. Dribbles
Reaction Score
Up until now, I have always believed that desire has a lot to do with rebounding. The team that really wants the ball is going to get it most of the time. However, last night it seemed like our guys were out of position far too often. It seemed like QU was sending four guys to the boards to our two. Am I missing something?

This game has got to be a major concern for Coach Ollie. UConn shot something like 33% from "2" and around 22% from "3" plus getting out rebounded like they were in wheelchairs. Up until now the shooting has been passable, but nights like this, coupled with the stinkified results on the boards, can make for a long season.
Let's just hope hit was bad fish.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This game has got to be a major concern for Coach Ollie. UConn shot something like 33% from "2" and around 22% from "3" plus getting out rebounded like they were in wheelchairs. Up until now the shooting has been passable, but nights like this, coupled with the stinkified results on the boards, can make for a long season.
Let's just hope hit was bad fish.
The shooting was an aberration, the rebounding wasn't. Part of the problem for the guards is they have to compensate for the lack of skill at the 4 and 5 both on the offensive and defensive ends. And that will tire them out resulting in lower shooting percentages. This early schedule was not favorable for the make up of this team.

KO doesn't back away from a challenge. But the front court he inherited is a real challenge. When I read posters comments questioning how UConn can get out rebounded by the likes of QU, I scratch my head and wonder what people thought about the front court this year. DD was recruited for the 3. TO was a backup 4. EW was a practice 5. Nolan would have been redshirted. When UConn lost AD, RS, AO and JL it lost 75% of its rebounding. The limit on scholarships, the post season ban, the uncertainty surrounding JC's future, were additional factors limiting recruitment for these positions.

Reaction Score
Dennis Rodman was 6-6, 220 and led the NBA in rebounding for seven consecutive years.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Dennis Rodman was 6-6, 220 and led the NBA in rebounding for seven consecutive years.
Height isn't the only thing. Reflexes, ability to anticipate where a ball will come off the rim, hand strength, the ability to know where other players are, leaping ability, body strength and so forth. Dennis Rodman was an aberration because he was better than guys taller than him. UConn does not have any interior athletic freaks other than Nolan and he is really raw on how to play his position.

Reaction Score
They also don't follow their shots. And the way they were shooting, you've got to follow your shot.

Reaction Score
Height isn't the only thing. Reflexes, ability to anticipate where a ball will come off the rim, hand strength, the ability to know where other players are, leaping ability, body strength and so forth. Dennis Rodman was an aberration because he was better than guys taller than him. UConn does not have any interior athletic freaks other than Nolan and he is really raw on how to play his position.

That's the point, there are many things that go into rebounding.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I thought Daniels was supposed to be a starter this year?? I can understand why Michigan State and perhaps Wake Forest out-rebounded us but Quinnipiac and Vermont?

He's a small forward, not a power forward. When he was recruited, he was envisioned as a starter on the wing, not down low. He's there out of necessity.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
That's the point, there are many things that go into rebounding.
unfortunately those many things are missing in three of our four bigs and the fourth doesn't know how to play defense at this time.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
One of the issues I have with the current coaching staff is there doesn't appear to be a big man coach. We're loaded with former guards (Ollie, Hobbs, Moore, Miller). Only Freeman played the forward spot. He's got his work cut out for himself.

Reaction Score
Q always pounds the boards. I thought it was going to be difficult to rebound well going into that one, although not quite that hard.

It really makes you appreciate Kemba's rebounding ability. Even Lamb was a pretty good rebounder for a guard.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
Time to watch video of Freeman and maybe Stevie Thompson of 'Cuse. Thompson was maybe 6'4" but he seemed to rebound well.

Reaction Score
One of the issues I have with the current coaching staff is there doesn't appear to be a big man coach. We're loaded with former guards (Ollie, Hobbs, Moore, Miller). Only Freeman played the forward spot. He's got his work cut out for himself.
I was under the impression that Kevin is in basketball operations and not allowed to coach.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
I checked UConnHuskies.com and you're right about Freeman (and Ricky Moore) and that makes the need for a big man coach even more glaring. Maybe they can talk at the team dinner. Checking out the ever accurate Wikipedia, Blaney was a guard also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom